Does anybody do their own gel nails?

(35 Posts)
Lexiesinclair Thu 24-Jan-13 12:24:01

If so, what can you tell me about it?

I love having painted nails but mine always chips after a couple of days. I've had shellac nails done professionally and always loved them, but can't afford to go to a salon regularly. So I wondered if it was worth investing in a UV lamp and some products to do it myself - can anyone advise?

jackstini Thu 24-Jan-13 21:28:46

knitknack - absolutely! and doing a pedicure then putting on fluffy socks seconds after! grin

Womenandchickensfirst Thu 24-Jan-13 23:46:37

I'm a new convert to Sensationail as well. Did this set last Sunday, and noticed today that one was peeling away, due to some manual labour. I filed what was left off, and had the nail redone in less than 10 minutes. It's brilliant.

CooEeeEldridge Fri 25-Jan-13 09:37:09

Let us know how you get on lex! I didn't try the blue sky for ages as it seemed to good to be true, but it's v v good! Have a lovely local colour on currently smile

CooEeeEldridge Fri 25-Jan-13 09:37:31

Ahem lilac

Lexiesinclair Fri 25-Jan-13 11:49:04

Ha, I wondered what a local colour was. Here it would be a dirty grey colour. grin
I am going to go for the Bluesky stuff on eBay. Will update when I've fine it, thank you.

Trumpton Sun 27-Jan-13 10:32:48

Did mine with DD's sensationail set yesterday. I used Taupe Tulips and they look good. I have ordered my self the essentials kit and my own colour gel so I don't keep using hers.
I am also going to try a normal nail colour over and remove that with NON acetone remover.

spottymoo Sun 27-Jan-13 13:49:11

When ever doing gel nails always cap the free edge of the nail with products this helps it last longer

Some gel polishes require you buff the nail before application some dont same with removal done require you to buff to break the seal.

Removal pure acetone soaked in a lint free pad and foil and an orange stick to scrap remains off after about 15 mins.

Prep is the most important stage to help it last if it doesn't say on the bottle or package look on the web or salon geek

( ex nail technician grin)

ThisLittleP Sun 27-Jan-13 20:40:51

Go for it. i bought all my bits (wipes, IPA, polishes, UV lamp, etc. etc.) off ebay, and I'm loving it. So are my sis and mum grin
I use the bluesky stuff. I was originally going to get the Sensationail from Boots, but the polishes are a rip off £15 a pop, and not a massive range of colours. So I took the plunge with all the separate ebay bits, and it's way cheaper, but just as good imho, and I've ordered some lovely glitter polishes too at bargain prices.

Best of luck, you won't regret it, and you'll have a queue of friends at your front door before long too smile

Sparklegeek Sun 27-Jan-13 21:23:02

Lexie please tell me what you have bought - have found the Bluesky polishes on eBay but what about the lamp & everything else? Have a birthday coming up so will need to spell this all out in words of one syllable for DH smile

Lexiesinclair Sun 27-Jan-13 22:10:23

Well I haven't actually bought anything yet (I've got a birthday coming up too so thinking I should wait for that). But I think I'll get:
A UV lamp from Amazon - there's one for about £20 with decent reviews.
Gellux prep & wipe + acetone remover from Amazon -£8.99.
Bluesky base + top coat + 4 colours for £24 from eBay.

What do you reckon? I would link but I can't from the apps on my phone.

ThisLittleP - good to hear you're also happy with the Bluesky, it's so much cheaper!
SpottyMoo - thanks for the tips, it's good to get a professional's advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now