Shops you don't go to anymore...

(127 Posts)
libertychick Thu 17-Jan-13 22:26:55

Decided today Hobbs is off my list of shops. I went in and tried on several dresses, skirts etc. It all looked exactly like everything I have ever bought before from them. It's a bugger as it suits me, is appropriate for where I work and v gratifying as in several items in there I fit a size 10 (and I am not a size 10) but if I keep shopping there I will look the same way for ever...

Any other shops people have decided to abandon?

MaureenShit Fri 18-Jan-13 18:36:03

Got lovely heavy "lace " (was cotton ) black mini from next. Wear with heels opaques and leather jacket with big knitted scarf.

Very gothic

MaureenShit Fri 18-Jan-13 18:36:28

Ooh also their shit looking but ace black lace tshirt

MaureenShit Fri 18-Jan-13 18:38:03

New Look - I've tried; really I have. But no. And it makes me want to hurt people too so, being a pacifist, I cannot go in there!

noddyholder Fri 18-Jan-13 18:40:23

I have bought a few things in jane norman grin They have some navy skinny velvet trousers atm I am tempted by. Wag that I am

MaureenShit Fri 18-Jan-13 18:41:19

I got lovely pencil sequin in there. Gun metal grey.
Plus wedge trainers in their limited range.

noddyholder Fri 18-Jan-13 18:41:59

New look bad quality. Next i never go in just don't like.

MaureenShit Fri 18-Jan-13 18:43:07
MaureenShit Fri 18-Jan-13 18:43:48

Mind you i do a lot online.

Oh god I get loads for the kids in Next mrsCB! And actually I did get those Dicker-alikes from NL, so I will concede that one (but that was only because you linked them MrsCB). Not Jane Norman though, no, never. I think you have to have an eye in places like NL, I just get blinded by ugly polyester shit and start to panic!

noddyholder Fri 18-Jan-13 18:47:21

I bought stretch pleather leggings in JN 2 years ago. Everyone loved and they were great quality. Jn not all bad actually Have cashmere jumper from there and have had years. Those dolly birds like a bit of quality innit

alemci Fri 18-Jan-13 18:48:08

I used to love the Principles shop as oppose to the Ben de Lisi concession in Debenhams. The stuff was reasonably priced and the quality wasn't bad. I still have quite a few bits. I was upset when the shop shut down.

I also quite like Laura Ashley but the shop locally disappeared and it has become very expensive. Again the quality isn't too bad.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 18-Jan-13 18:48:19

New look best done online I think - although there is a big one at local retail park which I tend to pop into when doing m&s. In fact I love a retail park - nice rummage round trevor island, new look and outfit blush

SoldeInvierno Fri 18-Jan-13 18:48:54

I NEVER go into Primark or Next. The rest I generally give a try as you never know when their designers have been inspired and they've come out with something wearable.

noddyholder Fri 18-Jan-13 18:49:40

There aren't many shops I couldn't find something in tbh.

I god I hate retail parks, the only thing I like at the local one is TK!

MaureenShit Fri 18-Jan-13 18:51:23

Matalan always a push.

noddyholder Fri 18-Jan-13 18:54:34

Peacocks?

IsabelleRinging Fri 18-Jan-13 18:55:09

In days gone by I was always in Oasis, Warehouse, River Island, etc.

I don't even know where I shop now!!!!!! I am lost a pre-middle-age desert of retail drought.

MK one? Bay trading?

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 18-Jan-13 18:57:16

Have only been to matalan once and it smelt funny.

MaureenShit Fri 18-Jan-13 18:58:28

We don't have peacocks.

Even BHS has cheapy swim accessories. Like cotton kaftan throw ins and mini stretch beach skirts

MaureenShit Fri 18-Jan-13 18:59:14

I think Hobbs is dull. Never bought anything there.

LittlePandaBear Fri 18-Jan-13 18:59:42

I try to shop in the best places I can afford (which isn't too much these days!) or the sales, but as others have said, I can find something I like in most shops, just not necessarily full outfits.

I don't believe that clothes need to last forever though, don't mind some polyester if that's what I can afford. If it lasts one season, that's fine, I will be bored of it then anyway and want something new!

I agree about jumble sale shops - I won't bother looking in primark or tk maxx but will go to New Look and H&M if it's at a quiet time!

noddyholder Fri 18-Jan-13 19:02:27

I love bhs. Friend bought black velvet cocktail dress for a tenner I couldn't believe it but it did look good on her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now