If you had about £800-900 to spend on a handbag, what would you get?

(196 Posts)
DontmindifIdo Sat 12-Jan-13 15:45:40

that's about it really. Basically, I have some money to buy something to remind me of someone who's died. I've a lot of very good jewellery already that I don't actually wear that much (normally the only jewellery I wear is my watch and my wedding and engagement rings), I was going to buy a piece of furniture with it, but we have just bought some new furniture and don't need anything.

so I was thinking a 'good' bag might be something I'll actually use. I have been looking at the Mulberry Bayswater or Alexa, but just wondered if any more stylish ladies had any other suggestions.

Thanks!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 17-Jan-13 14:41:43

Mulberry have pissed me off too. Customer service is not at all what it was despite prices being arbitrarily higher. I recently received a calf hair alexa bag from them that looked like utter shit. Bald in places. They said that was to be expected with that type leather. What the actual fuck? Sending a customer a bald bag is apparently acceptable. I knew the hair would rub off in time and given use but I do not expect a new and unused bag to look shabby when I receive it. I returned for refund. The sparkle finishes are known to be delicate and do wear off. Mulberry also class this as normal and to be expected. Hopefully they warned you of this at time of purchase otherwise I would be upset in your shoes.
For OP I would recommend NVT leather in a bays as it does last. Your Roxy would have been Darwin or NVT leather. I sold my nvt Roxy too, I still liked it but wanted something newer. I have a chocolate NVT mulberry bag that has been used heavily, carelessly and abused. With the odd leather cream treatment it comes up looking like new. It's about 3 or 4 years old. A totally different kettle of fish to the newer leather types.

Sparkly, so slightly more delicate, but even the grainy Hayden I have is starting to look a bit tired. I had a Roxanne which was fabulously made, but was so heavy and looked dated, so I sold it.

Mulberry have annoyed me (and a lot of core customers, I suspect) by cavalierly upping their prices by £100 for no obvious reason, especially when they are outsourcing most of the work to the far east. I don't think I will buy from them again, when for the same price or less I can get something better made and less ubiquitous from Alexander Wang or Philip Lim.

Pseudonymity Thu 17-Jan-13 14:17:18

Get something classic, seriously, otherwise you will want rid of it within a couple of years - I have made that mistake.

My favourites are Chanel and vintage Chanel (but that's more than you want to spend), Alexander McQueen, Celine, 3.1 Philip Lim and I've seen a gorgeous Marni. I don't generally like a lot of the other labels, off the top of my head anyway, they mostly have too much blingy hardware or visible branding (well, the Chanel I'll allow!)

Vogue did a good list of 100 bags in the past few weeks, might be worth a look.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 17-Jan-13 13:49:01

What finish have you got, Amber Nectarine? Some of the leather types (esp the newer ones) are shit I agree.

NineteenOatcake Thu 17-Jan-13 13:36:03

Bayswater in a different or limited shade stops it from being same-y, I got one in a Conker red colour. And Mulberry have a sale on!

DontmindifIdo Thu 17-Jan-13 12:21:10

oh and Liberty, I like that bag but, I've come to the conclusion I don't want a bag I have to carry in the cruck of my arm, it either has to have a strap to go cross body or fit over shoulder/sit in armpit - just because I get really irritated by my other cruck of arm bags being impractical and heavy. If that had a strap as well, it would be perfect...

DontmindifIdo Thu 17-Jan-13 12:16:53

thanks all ! Not looked around yet (and wish peple would stop mentioning bags that are about £1.3k - I realy can't afford the difference now and I keep falling in love with them!) I have a chicken poxy child so my shopping plans I had lined up this weekend are out of the window. (I think taking a poxy child into central london, on the tube and into selfridges in order to 'waste' a large amount of money on a bag rather than a selection of goats would have the bench-fans on this thread explode !)

I think plain and a bit dull might have to be the way forward, I do like the bays style actually (works just as well being a 'mummy bag' as a 'work bag' whereas a lof of the others are more clearly one or the other), but the sheer numbers of other people with it is off putting. not sure if that's a good reason not to get one...

JumpHerWho Thu 17-Jan-13 12:14:05

Definitely the Balenciaga!! I'd go for a colour though, I love the turqoisey one Fashion Toast has. In my head if I got the pale pink one I'd be as stunning and stylish as her hmm

Have you decided yet OP??

akaemmafrost Thu 17-Jan-13 12:07:28

A mulberry Daria Medium Hobo in Oak.

I've had my Bayswater for 3 years and it is already showing signs of wear (gets used for a few weeks a year in total). Mulberry quality has decreased alarmingly!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 17-Jan-13 11:24:14

Agreed that black bays is not going to set the world on fire but it will look the same in ten years provided it is looked after. If I was buying a piece as a 'tribute' to someone it would be important to me to get something with the potential for longevity. OP might feel totally differently though and be happier to get a fun looking fashion bag with a delicate finish, use it hard and accept it will be a short term treat.

chartreuse Thu 17-Jan-13 11:15:53

I think a black Bayswater would be a very dull choice. Have you had a chance to have a look around OP?

Please don't get a Bayswater! They are so boring and every second woman has one (myself included!) plus they are a bloody rip off - they were about £500 a few years ago, and they have not improved the quality!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 17-Jan-13 10:21:01

Hmmm. There are plenty of Japanese resellers selling lovely Chanel pieces and I think I would first consider a vintage Chanel before deciding that I would probably rather not get secondhand for such a 'special' purchase. Especially as you want the bag to last for years. A vintage Chanel at that price level is going to have had a fair bit of wear and tear already and will bear battle scars.

Prada bags are a litte too formal and plain for my tastes.

Bals often fade considerably over time.

Chloe bags are well made but the brand does not excite me.

It would come down to Mulberry for me I think. I would firstly avoid the 'fashion and colourful bags'. Alexa is most useable but I don't think an alexa will stand up particularly well to many years of wear. Over time their leather tends to ripple and bubble, the side ears stretch and the piping grazes easily. I love the style but would not recommend it for the purpose you are buying for. I reckon go black bayswater. The bays is still the most iconic mulberry style (and always will be). Black is a classic colour and will stay looking perfect and clean for years. A black bays will go the distance and stay looking great. You won't use it much with young children but it will still look the part in ten years time.

My boss at work has that Prada in a kind of nudey blush. It is amazing.

[]http://www.harveynichols.com/womens/categories-1/designer-bags/totes/s418942-rocco-textured-leather-dumbo-bag.html?colour=LIGHT+GREY This]] is my baby, but I'm sensing you want something more classic OP.

Bloss's Balenciaga is a good bet, classic, stylish, practical and not totally extortionate (like Chanel, BV etc.)

blossoming Wed 16-Jan-13 18:50:26

Love that Prada libertychick. I have balenciaga classic town OP - £995 if you can stretch to it. www.balenciaga.co.uk/en_GB/shop-products/accessories/women/new-arrivals/balenciaga-classic-town_803791262.html
I have the black and really really love it, but look at the other gorgeous colours! (They didn't have this selection of colours in HN in October though). I initially thought I was buying the City, but it has a ridiculously short handle.

fromparistoberlin Wed 16-Jan-13 14:37:12

PRADA
PRADA
PRADA

Fleecy Wed 16-Jan-13 14:26:09

I don't know if they come in on budget but I really like some of the Loewe bags. Had a little browse when I was in Spain and there are some really gorgeous ones.

coraltoes Wed 16-Jan-13 09:51:08

Bottega venetta. Discrete, great quality. Bays waters good too,or a simple prada one. Go classic and you'll use it for life. Ignore the "spend £100" mob...your money, your choice.

MoodyDidIt Wed 16-Jan-13 09:15:00

oh i love the classic chanel bags

could never afford a real one though

and i don't think they look old lady-ish, depends on your outfit, look at all the cool young people who wear them, ie alexa chung, rihanna etc (makes self sound v old by referring to cool young people blush )

noviceoftheday Wed 16-Jan-13 04:40:39

libertychick, I have the shoulder bag version of that bag (from 4 years ago). I agree it's beautiful. A black classic Prada is just timeless. I have a couple of other Pradas going back about 10 years and they still look brand new. The fabric Pradas are to be avoided, especially iff you use them a lot.

libertychick Wed 16-Jan-13 00:51:14

A bit over budget but one of the women I work with has this and I just stare at it constantly on the days she uses it - it's so gorgeous. Also like this one

fridgepants Wed 16-Jan-13 00:11:53

Also, I'm not a bag person but the quilted Chanel bags always look a bit old-lady to me. Perhaps not so with one of their suits...

fridgepants Wed 16-Jan-13 00:10:52

AmberNectarine - I'm W London but go SW often. I never see decent stuff in the charity shops - there is that fancy Mary Portas yoke in Richmond now but it wasn;t that exciting once I was actually in. I have seen Primark stuff priced at £20 though.

threesypeesy Tue 15-Jan-13 19:19:02

i would buy chanel, classic timeless pieces that are gorgeous and vintage sometimes appeals more than new!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now