ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

If you had about £800-900 to spend on a handbag, what would you get?

(196 Posts)
DontmindifIdo Sat 12-Jan-13 15:45:40

that's about it really. Basically, I have some money to buy something to remind me of someone who's died. I've a lot of very good jewellery already that I don't actually wear that much (normally the only jewellery I wear is my watch and my wedding and engagement rings), I was going to buy a piece of furniture with it, but we have just bought some new furniture and don't need anything.

so I was thinking a 'good' bag might be something I'll actually use. I have been looking at the Mulberry Bayswater or Alexa, but just wondered if any more stylish ladies had any other suggestions.

Thanks!

DontmindifIdo Sat 12-Jan-13 16:42:00

Madam - the paraty is about £500 out of budget and I can't afford to pay the difference, as gorgeous as it is!

thank you all for suggestions, think I need to go into somewhere like selfridges with an hour with DS and have a good look/try on.

CelineMcBean Sat 12-Jan-13 16:42:44

Oh god there's always one on a S&B thread isn't there?! If you can't enter into the spirit hide the thread or topic.

I'd either get an oversized Mulberry Alexa or a vintage Hermes OP and I think it's a great way to remember someone who loved her bags.

MarshaBrady Sat 12-Jan-13 16:43:43

Oh gosh yes Proenza Schouler too.

DontmindifIdo Sat 12-Jan-13 16:45:37

sorry, should have said "An hour without DS" (3 year olds and expensive shops don't go well together)

madammecholet Sat 12-Jan-13 16:49:13

DontmindifIdo yeah about £1100, but all you need is a 10% offer code and its within about £100 of budget!! wink, but you have to LOVE it to spend ££££....

Startail Sat 12-Jan-13 16:49:51

I'd put it in the holiday fund and frame the best picture when I got home.

My great Aunt funded my post A'level trip, I had a brilliant time and still have the photo's. I'd have worn out a handbag 30 years ago.

Charliefox Sat 12-Jan-13 16:52:20

Tods D bags are divine www.tods.com/en/woman/bagsa13/d-baga13/d-styling-medium-woven-leather-bag-4

madammecholet Sat 12-Jan-13 16:52:28

How about this chloe marcie classic shape, will never age...

Charliefox Sat 12-Jan-13 16:54:07

www.theluxer.com/GB/categories/Woman/Bags/Tote-Bags/D-Styling-Small-Bag/p/XBWAGAHM201PASS812 beyond gorgeous.

bigkidsdidit Sat 12-Jan-13 17:00:08

God that Marcie is just lovely

wilbur Sat 12-Jan-13 17:01:34

As I am not a bag person, I would buy a piece of art. Have just done this with some money from a beloved aunt who died in the summer. Every time I see it on the wall it makes me smile and think of her. But I know a good bag is important to a lot of people and leather does last so I hope you find something lovely. smile

Viviennemary Sat 12-Jan-13 17:10:44

I'm not that into handbags but if that's what you've decide then why not. I'd buy art or jewellery but you should get what you want. I think a vintage bag sounds a nice idea rather than one of those awful modern things that look like holdalls.

MissBoPeep Sat 12-Jan-13 17:12:51

I wouldn't ever even if I had £8K. Silly money for a bag. Sorry.

MissBoPeep Sat 12-Jan-13 17:16:14

On 2nd thoughts if I was spending that in a memory of someone I'd buy a seat or plant a tree- ots of palces offer this- so that it would be there for years and me and others get some pleasure from it. Buying an accessory seems a bit- well, shallow.

Thread title:

If you had about £800-900 to spend on a handbag, what would you get?

NOT

If you had about £800-900 to spend on something far worthier than. A handbag, what would you get and why does it make you a better person that me?

HousewifeFromHeaven Sat 12-Jan-13 17:17:25

I have a mulberry bayswater tote, it's beautiful.

HousewifeFromHeaven Sat 12-Jan-13 17:18:19

Oh miss give over!!!

timidviper Sat 12-Jan-13 17:23:48

I would stick with the Mulberrys tbh. I really don't like the Anya Hindmarch Gracie, although I haven't seen it in the flesh IYKWIM, it looks cheap to me. Having said that my friend has a lovely Anya bag that she has used everyday for 2-3 years and it looks great.

I have had loads of other nice bags but the ones that I love most are Mulberry as they are so practical for every day yet beautiful too and Vivienne Westwood as my one is so different and stylish it is a real talking point

Bonsoir Sat 12-Jan-13 17:24:28

Goyard

MarmaladeSkies Sat 12-Jan-13 17:25:45

The OP asked for advice on a bloody bag! She didn't ask for,and doesn't need,a lecture.

Bonsoir Sat 12-Jan-13 17:27:24

If you purchase a high-quality bag hand made in Europe, you are contributing to continuing a long tradition of craftsmanship and supporting one of the most ethical forms of trade.

MorrisZapp Sat 12-Jan-13 17:27:50

I think when people make specific bequests in wills, they do so so that their loved ones can have a wee spend in their memory.

They almost certainly don't do it so that the person then passes the gift on to something or somebody more deserving. The deceased can name their own charities in their will.

MadBusLady Sat 12-Jan-13 17:28:05

I'd get two bags with your budget - a lovely luxurious day/shopper and something a bit more exciting and possibly eveningy. I'd be a bit scared of one item I carried around being worth that much money <wimp>

suburbophobe Sat 12-Jan-13 17:28:47

Well, we're on MN, so you can expect to get all kinds of input.

<Thank God>

suburbophobe Sat 12-Jan-13 17:30:17

(That was in response to MarmaladeSkies)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now