Hair disaster and I want to cry!

(36 Posts)
cardamomginger Fri 11-Jan-13 13:51:28

Don't think there's any advice anyone can give me - what's done is done and I just have to wait (months sad) for it to grow out. Need some sympathy and virtual hugs though sad.

My usual hairdresser recently left the country, and I decided to treat myself to a re-style in a posh, swanky salon. I know the stylist from years ago when the prices were cheaper and my finances were more robust.

I wanted my hair to look like this:

lovely

This was completely realistic given my hair type and the length I had. She discussed it with me, I showed her the picture and she both said the words 'just touching the shoulders' and indicated this to me with her hands. Great!! Get washed, come back and the first cut she makes at the back of my head takes it to a fraction below the nape of my neck. So what should have been just above shoulder length hair is pretty much chin length and I could cry!

Gets worse, because my hair, especially when shorter, is curly. So when I wash it it will curl up and look even shorter. I'm crap at blow-drying so I was going to GHD it into submission. Except I'm not that good at GHD-ing and need a decent length of hair to work with. I haven't tried it yet, but my fears are that my hair at the back is going to be too short for me to manage. Oh and it cost a sodding fortune.

I know that in the general scheme of things this is trivial, hair grows, blah blah blah. I'm reacting particularly badly to this because next month I am having my third operation to repair serious birth injuries. I know what's coming and that it's not going to be nice. I know I'm going to be in pain and feel like shit. So this haircut was a treat! I thought that even though I'll feel crap, etc, at least I could look in the mirror see a nice hair cut and feel just a little bit glamorous.

As I say, there's nothing to be done. Just got to wait. And wait. And wait. And not go back there again. sad.

Can I have a hug please?

INeedThatForkOff Sat 12-Jan-13 19:18:32

Aw, same happened to me 9 weeks post-partum with DD, so I know exactly how you feel. Strangely, yesterday I went to a different salon than usual 10 weeks after DS was born, to have my highlights done, but they've come out chunky and brassy ('too much caramel' said the stylist). He offered for me to come in and have it put right even before drying it, but he's the salon owner and I don't want him to touch it.

Hope your op goes well, and remember, even though it's easy to say, it will grow back.

cardamomginger Sat 12-Jan-13 19:30:48

'chunky and brassy' - oh dear.

Callycat Sat 12-Jan-13 19:41:58

Been there! As someone already said, it probably looks better than you think (not excusing the hairdresser, though!) While it grows, you may feel better if you Google images of women looking great with chin-length bobs - Keira Knightly and Drew Barrymore, for example? And TBH I don't like Eva Longoria's hair in that pic; your bob sounds much funkier.

FirstTimeForEverything Sat 12-Jan-13 19:47:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callycat Sat 12-Jan-13 19:51:28

Well, when it happened to me I found that salt spray was my friend. Gave it a nice messy look; I actually grew to quite like it. And hey, thought of another bob inspiration: Gemma Arteton. She ain't mumsy looking.

FirstTimeForEverything Sat 12-Jan-13 20:06:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callycat Sat 12-Jan-13 20:59:52

I guess it would; it just gives a slightly "undone" look, and makes hair seem a lot fuller. Mine's slighy wavy and it worked on me. Superdrug do an own-brand version for about £2, so you could give it a try.

SantasENormaSnob Sat 12-Jan-13 23:46:34

I had a v bad cut in 2010, 3 days before I went on holiday.

I looked like Brian may sad

pictish Sat 12-Jan-13 23:49:39

I must a agree that I don't like the style in your link. Very frumpy and ageing - even on Eva Longoria. Yours does sound better.

VestaCurry Sun 13-Jan-13 04:49:54

piratecat, just checked and the redken oil I have is their Argan 6 oil, there aren't 3 different types, just this. I got myself a bit confused because I also have a kerastase hair elixir (mine is the one with moringa in it). That's the only kerastase product and it's brill for my hair (as is the argan oil). I use both but on different days (the kerastase stuff was a birthday present from a friend who uses it). They both make my hair lovely and swishy grin! It would be hard for me to choose between them. With the argan oil, a little goes a long way with my kind of hair. They are expensive products but the poor state of my hair wasn't being helped by cheaper stuff I could get away with in the past.

piratecat Sun 13-Jan-13 11:05:28

thanks vesta for getting back to me and explaining the one's you use.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now