My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

Alaska77 Thu 24-Jan-13 11:49:16

Hi All, sorry for the short absence, I've been stupidly busy. I've been finding time to read but not post!

Still attempting to be fabulous and I'm definitely a few steps nearer than I was at the start of the year. I'm continuing to make an effort with makeup, doing all over moisturising every morning and trying to be a bit more inventive with my outfits.

Today's outfit is grey long-sleeved layering tee (White Co), thick black tights (M&S), drop-waist short black dress (Benetton) and grey pixie boots (Blowfish).

Happy fabulising!

Lakota Thu 24-Jan-13 14:10:21

Hi all, went to gym for very quick workout after dropping kids off, then had hair trimmed and blow-dryed (luckily not too sweaty) then went home for shower with shower cap on - didn't quite sort out the order I should do it all in but got away with it! Have run epilator over legs again, used ingrown hair preventative stuff and moisturised. No make-up though.

Wearing indigo Diesel jeans which I bought second hand in the Summer and are now too big - may have to sell some stuff on eBay to fund new clothes - black long sleeved top from Warehouse with black 'studs' on the arms but not sure what to wear on feet when I go out again. Wedge trainers work better with skinnier jeans, still too slippy/cold for converse and boots don't really work with these jeans.

I got 3 dresses from the People Tree sale which arrived yesterday, really pleased with them. Decent reductions - one dress was about £18 and should have been £70something, not that I think it was worth the full price though.

I seem to be always at work, so always in work clothes. Not even going to list them now, as they are all variations on a theme of skirt or dress, plus jacket, plus tights, plus heels.

Boring.

LetMeAtTheWine Thu 24-Jan-13 19:30:41

I am always boring. And a mess. feeling very sorry for myself today sad

Alaska77 Fri 25-Jan-13 09:53:11

Aww, Letme I hope you are feeling a bit more positive today. Maybe it's the neverending snow getting everyone down. Personally I can't wait for a bit of rain at the weekend to wash it all away!

Todays outfit is black leggings (White Co), white layering vest (Joseph), yellow cardigan (Benetton) worn as a jumper with all the lovely pearl buttons done up. Oh and black biker boots.

In some combat bottoms with red vest top and black fleece top as I am currently doing mad house clean so I can spend the afternoon sorting out my wardrobe and pamper myself

Hope your feeling more positive today letme, I do think this current weather is nice at first but drags you down after a while (or after the first day for me)

LetMeAtTheWine Fri 25-Jan-13 10:48:46

Thanks Alaska and Muddling! I am not feeling quite so sorry for myself today smile
However I am still a mess today! I just hate getting out of bed and so never have time to do my hair and make up after a shower. My hair has a bit of a mind of it's own so if I am doing anything other than scraping it back it takes ages to do. And I don't suit scraping it all back but can never be bothered to straighten my fringe which is ridiculously long because I hate going to the hairdressers. And you know how much effort you have to put in to straighten a whole fringe don't you? (this might give some indication of just what a lazy oik I am...)
Still, tomorrow is another day and I might make an effort then!
Hope everyone else is having a good day, at least we have the weekend to look forward to wine

TrampyPants Fri 25-Jan-13 12:24:11

Letme, I totally understand. I'm the same and that's why I started this thread. It takes a fair bit of motivation to do the little things. You sound very down though, are you ok?

I agree, the snow is starting to grate now. You are still all doing awesomely though, well done!

Today I am in pjs again, waiting for gp to call me back because my hips have swollen up and I can't walk. Which is nice. But I have been looking at all my clothes hanging up (we have a rail in an alcove that acts as a wardrobe and figured out several different combos. Inc which top to wear with a green high-waisted skirt I bought a while back. Its so gorgeous but I've not been able to wear it because none of my jumpers look right with it. But a cream and black stripey loose top tucked in with a waist belt works. Finally!

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 25-Jan-13 13:41:40

Picked up Superdrug order today. Got the new B. Gel cleanser, the day moisturiser and the powder. So hopefully in a few days I will have glowing skin!
If anyone has ever hankered after a Clarisonic, I saw in Boots that No 7 have produced their own version. It's on special offer just now for only £15. I love my Clarisonic but they are so expensive. I was only able to treat myself when I got a bonus from work last year. I would definitely be trying the Boots one if I didn't have one.

TrampyPants Fri 25-Jan-13 14:09:13

Ooh what's a clarisonic?

cjbk1 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:38:19

tried to post b4 didn't seem to work apologies if repeating self; I get extenso-d plus haircut which costs £160 that I don't have! shall I ask for a student to do it to reduce costs or is that asking for trouble?
on that theme; I like to use sulphate-free shampoos incase they help the effect stay longer, wink I'm not too impressed with the 'ever-sleek' range-l'oreal , what else shall I try?
thanks in advance

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 25-Jan-13 15:42:18

TrampyPants a Clarisonic is a battery operated brush that you use to make your cleanser more effective. A bit like an electric toothbrush - but for your face! Here is the official site. But the Boots one looks good and is much more affordable.

cjbk1 I've tried the sulphate free shampoo from Tresemme - can't remember what's it called but there is a leaf on the front of the bottle. I wasn't sure about it to start with because my hair seemed to go a bit funny but I persevered and it seemed to work really well. Think it must just have been getting rid of all the build up to start with.

MuntyCakes Fri 25-Jan-13 21:38:09

I'm not doing too well to be honest - though I did straighten my hair for the first time in about two years this morning, do I get points for that? It needs a cut, but, like LetMe, I hate going to the hairdressers so tend to put it off as much as possible. I have a side-swept fringe which has now grown to chin length, which is roughly the length I like the rest of my hair to be when I finally get round to going to get it done. I only go about once a year! Paying nearly £30 for a pretty basic haircut puts me off, as well as knowing I'll have to sit there for about an hour trying to chat, struggling to make myself heard above the background noise...is there any way round this? I'd attempt it myself but am a bit scared it'll go wrong! And my favourite hairdressers has turned into a spare parts shop... sad

I ordered some new clothes this week - a black skater skirt and grey jeggings (and a jumper with an owl on it - not exactly sophisticated but I really like it and actually think it might work with the skirt!). I was quite sensible and went for neutral colours rather than going for purple or blue like I usually do. I just hope they all fit properly!

TrampyPants Fri 25-Jan-13 22:10:48

Thank you, I have a £5 voucher for boots skincare, I might give it a go!

Munty, is there anyone who will come to your house to do your hair?

LetMeAtTheWine Sat 26-Jan-13 10:11:01

Morning ladies! Thanks Trampy but i am fine - just annoyed with myself for wanting to sort myself out but not being arsed to do it blush
We are visiting some of my husbands friends today who i haven't seen for ages so going to try and make an effort. Heading in to town first so may even treat myself first!
Hope you all have a lovely day - sorry for being so miserable!!

TrampyPants Sat 26-Jan-13 11:53:44

That sounds fab. Can you get your nails or eyebrows done? Just a little thing that will make you feel loads better?

My skin is dreadful today, I have a mirena, but my period has started so bloody hormones have taken over. Tonight I am going to have a hot bath and scrub, use a hair treatment and do my eyebrows.

Hi all. This was the first day in a week that I was able to leave the house without wearing wellies!

Boring and practical today - but with red lipstick.
Indigo skinnies
Black long length jumper with a strg iped top peeping out at the bottom
Black boots
Grey peacoat
Grey scarf
Silver necklace and cuff

Bought myself a gorgeous bracelet in Cos. Have been keeping up with using the Sally Hansen stuff and my nails are looking a bit less hideous. Am also liking the Superdrug Vitamin E face oil, now that my face has got used to it. I still have a tiny dry patch just above my lip though - any ideas?

I need to lose some weight. Hopefully now that the snow is melting, I'll be able to drag myself out for some runs again. I love it when I go, but I'm v bad at making myself get out there.

ElectricMonk Sat 26-Jan-13 20:50:28

I wish I was doing as well as everybody else - I've totally failed over the past couple of weeks! I have managed to take care of my skin, do my make-up properly and dress in reasonably flattering clothes despite the weather, but all of my other bad habits remain...

I'm back on the bandwagon (really) as of tomorrow. I'm going to start:
- sizzling again (GA, 30%);
- actually putting my hair up every couple of days;
- forcing myself to wear a skirt instead of jeans every day.

I finished clearing my wardrobes and cupboards, got rid of so much crap. I have made a list of items I would like to get next week when its pay day
Black skinny jeans
Charcoal blazer from h and m
A v neck top in cream from h and m
Red court shoes
Red handbag need some help with this cant be expensive and needs to be worn in the crook of elbow
Some chunky gold bracelets

TrampyPants Sat 26-Jan-13 21:31:36
TrampyPants Sat 26-Jan-13 21:36:24

Yes, thank you I have been looking most of the day for one but couldn't see anything I liked.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Sat 26-Jan-13 21:51:36

I need some kind of intervention! Trampy can you come round and just sort out my wardrobe?! I just don't seem to be any good at picking out outfits and knowing what will go and what will suit me. Would really like to be a bit trendier but find it so hard that I end up not buying anything.

TrampyPants Sat 26-Jan-13 22:07:44

Muddling, there are some ace ones!

Always, grin I have spent today sorting out outfit variations and clashing fabrics. I got a pair of khaki cords inthe topshop sale,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now