What can I use to stop my face looking like an oil slick by lunchtime?

(22 Posts)
Saltytomato Thu 13-Dec-12 20:17:19

MAC do a matte oil Blot powder that you can apply over your makeup and it is brilliant....

Saltytomato Thu 13-Dec-12 20:14:26

MAC do a matte oil Blot powder that you can apply over your makeup and it is brilliant....

TheCountessOlenska Thu 13-Dec-12 12:57:20

Another vote for primer!

I am currently using Tesco Barbara Daly Primer, then her Oil Free Foundation, then translucent powder over the top - this keeps my make up in place all day.

Frizzbonce Thu 13-Dec-12 12:53:07

lizardqueenie I've dabbed it on after cleansing and over makeup. You only need a touch of it and it doesn't leave a cakey finish. I appreciate it's a bit difficult to pull out of your handbag though!

Cybbo Thu 13-Dec-12 10:31:59

I've found wearing less make up works for me. Was a foundation and powder gal but now just Avon Skin perfector primer and concealer.

ethelb Thu 13-Dec-12 10:20:06

I have had this problem and actually think it is partlly likely to be due to your skin care regime. Toning before moisturising and letting the moisuriser sink in for 20-30 mins before applying makeup really helps.

AgathaHoHoHo Wed 12-Dec-12 20:09:14

lizard I use Max Factor Lasting Performance. I no longer use 3 kilos of face powder each day grin

lizardqueenie Wed 12-Dec-12 19:09:55

Thanks agatha- what foundation do you use now?

Yes I'll look out for the blotting sheets fuckit- I didn't get a chance to nip to boots today but hopefully tomorrow!

Fuckitthatlldo Wed 12-Dec-12 10:20:24

I have this problem too sometimes. It seems to be much worse at certain times of the month. I use No7 oil control primer on my t-zone. You need to moisturise well before you put it on otherwise it won't go on smoothly, but it completely mattifies the skin and helps with shine during the day. I also have a little book of blotting sheets in every handbag. The kleenex ones are really good I think - inexpensive and easy to get hold of in Boots or the supermarket. You can use them even with full make-up on and they don't disturb anything if you just blot rather than rub.

AgathaHoHoHo Wed 12-Dec-12 08:55:51

I used to have that problem. Changed my foundation (because the one I used to use was discontinued) and it doesn't happen anymore. Maybe try a different foundation?

lizardqueenie Tue 11-Dec-12 20:54:54

Thanks Hazelnut smile

lizardqueenie Tue 11-Dec-12 19:23:37

squoosh just seen that you can buy a travel size version of some of there primers, a good way to try them. would you recommend the photo finish light?

HazleNutt Tue 11-Dec-12 19:22:41

Lizard no, just oil is sufficient for me. Hauschka also has trial kits, probably a good idea to get one of those instead of the full bottle.

lizardqueenie Tue 11-Dec-12 19:20:35

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Primer seems to be the consensus so I will have a look into the brands you have recommended, I think I may have used the MAC one in the past actually.

Blotting sheets too- good idea! I forgot about these. Does anyone remember the small book of them you used to be able to get in the body shop?!

thanks for the suggestion of Bare Minerals valium I keep hearing both positive and negative reviews. I guess i might have to try some to see what its like. I think as I have finally managed to get the colour of my foundation right (after literally years of looking for one for my yellow/ olive/ appears dark but is actually quite light skin) I am a bit nervous about trying a new one.

Frizzbonce that sounds like a good tip- do you put it on after cleansing?

Hazelnut that oil looks nice, do you use it with anything else? Hopefully with some Christmas money coming up I might be able to treat myself to a few of these things!

squoosh Tue 11-Dec-12 12:22:07

Smashbox primers are amazing.

HazleNutt Tue 11-Dec-12 12:03:05

Dr Hauschka Normalising Oil is the only thing that keeps my skin shine-free.

Frizzbonce Tue 11-Dec-12 12:01:49

I'm not sure if this would help you at work but Milk of Magnesia dabbed on a bit of cotton wool will de-shine immediately.

valiumredhead Tue 11-Dec-12 11:51:01

Bare Minerals foundation.

greenhill Tue 11-Dec-12 10:29:05

Use blotting sheets.

Yes, you need primer. The Revlon one is good - think it's called Photoready.

QuinnFabray Tue 11-Dec-12 07:04:20

A good primer, underneath, will help. I swear by MAC spf 50 prep and prime. It really helps keep the oilies at bay. And I blot a couple of times a day with blotting sheets. Urban Decay/Skindivia de-slick spray, underneath not on top, is another good one.

lizardqueenie Mon 10-Dec-12 23:14:08

Just started back at work 3 days a week & I've noticed by lunchtime or a bit later my face is quite shiny (t-zone). I use studio fix (powder compact foundation ) but nothing wise on top at the moment. On my non work days I don't seem to have this problem at all. What can I use to top up without looking cakey?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now