anyone with braces want to join a thread?

(111 Posts)
saycheeeeeese Thu 06-Dec-12 11:50:32

Hope this is tbe right place to put this, i just recently started invisilign treatment for my horrible teeth and an keen to hear other people's experiences, share support whatever the type of braces you have decided on!!

hopes thread won't crash and burn smile

scripsi Wed 02-Jan-13 19:03:28

I would have to have my teeth shaved also I have no doubt - a friend had to have this done and was surprised how quick, easy and painless it was!

saycheeeeeese Wed 02-Jan-13 19:47:20

Just make sure you get your mouth frozen and it will be fine honestly!

themousetookastroll Fri 04-Jan-13 19:42:36

saycheeeeeese. I've got six little attachments on the front, and one on the back of a front tooth, and I'll also need periodic IPR - I had some at the first session, which was fine (without mouth freezing). It was the sound I disliked - like being sanded!

Any tips on how to clean the Invisaligns would be great. I'm just using a toothbrush and a bit of paste (inside and out) but find it hard to clean them properly. Would denture cleaner work, does anyone know, or does that require long soaking?

mammmamia Sun 13-Jan-13 11:22:40

saycheeeese thanks for sending me the link to this thread. I'm thinking of looking into the Inman aligned as well so really good to read other experiences. Thanks - will post back if I actually go through with it!

MadonnaKebab Sun 13-Jan-13 13:40:38

TheMouse
White vinegar diluted 50% with water, soak 30 mins
As well as not instead of physical cleaning

Bakingnovice Tue 15-Jan-13 19:25:05

Sooo excited to have found this thread. I had taught myself to never smile growing up as I hated my teeth. They were slightly wonky but really bothered me as they were the result of a neglected childhood. It took me 15 years to pluck up the courage to enquire about them. I am now in my last ten weeks of upper train tracks. I have a deep rooted fear of dentists but have found the pain tolerable. I hate the elastics I have now.

Mostly I am absolutely crappibg myself about how bad the removal
Of the braves is going to be! Can anyone help
Allay my fears??

Also, after treatment I get to wear a retainer at night. I asked my dentist about a fixed upper retainer and he said upper fixed retainers usually break. I'm v confused as everyone here seems to have a fixed retainer. I think I'm going to cry the day I am done with braces. It's been emotional!

Bakingnovice Tue 15-Jan-13 19:26:11

Oh and I couldn't have done this journey without my wonderful partner. The Panasonic oral irrigator.

MadonnaKebab Tue 15-Jan-13 20:42:56

Baking
Having the braces removed will not hurt at all provided your gums are healthy, so brush & irrigate really well in the weeks leading up to it
Upper bonded retainers do fail more than lower ones, so removable retainers are more usual

alexflower Tue 15-Jan-13 21:01:47

Just joining on here, about to get traintrack braces fitted on my upper teeth. Had them for 3 years at school and had a bonded retainer fitted but over the years it kept coming unglued and getting repaired and now I have gaps at either side. Been estimated around 5-6 months to close gaps so thankfully not too long!

florencewallpaper Tue 15-Jan-13 21:12:17

Hello! I had fixed lingual braces fitted in April last year to correct my overcrowded teeth and so far it's been miraculous.

I'll be honest and say that it's a true pain, I lisp a bit (though people say they don't notice) and I still have around 11 months to go, but my teeth are looking HEAPS better already so no regrets smile

Bakingnovice Tue 15-Jan-13 22:29:58

Oh madonna thank you. I clean well but my flossing is bad. I use my irrigator instead as I can't get floss between my braces. How long is removal?

My dentist told me he's been working for thirty years and I'm the first person who has ever cried out whilst Having elastics replaced on braves I'm so embarrassed to be so scared. Love this thread.

Good to have somewhere for all bracefaces to gather.

saycheeeeeese Wed 23-Jan-13 20:18:05

Sorry I've neglected the thread a bit! themouse I clean my trays with denture tablets, as recommended by my dentist and also soak in clear mouthwash at night for a few minutes.

I brush them every time I brush ny teeth too. I have the worst morning breath though, big downside to them so my DH gets pushed away first thing in the morning!

Im on my 6th set if teays, 6 out of 36 so I've a long way to go but definitely noticing a difference ! I think im becoming slightly OCD about my teeth, I think I'll end up brushing after every meal even after I finish treatment I cant stand dirty teeth now!

saycheeeeeese Wed 23-Jan-13 20:23:49

Oh and hello to all the newbies, its really interesting to hear about other experiences smile

gangbangstyle Wed 23-Jan-13 23:02:32

I've been thinking of getting a brace, crowded bottom teeth and a few top teeth sloping around a bit. The main thing stopping me is I'm assuming I'll have to have teeth out. I guess I need to see a dentist about it for advice. Has anyone in here had teeth out to accommodate teeth realigning?

gangbangstyle Wed 23-Jan-13 23:09:31

and what's IPR? thanks!

saycheeeeeese Thu 24-Jan-13 07:33:58

gangbang I was the same and was convinced they'd have to remove all of my wisdom teetg. But thankfully they don't, getting braces was one of my better decisions.

IPR is a procedure where they file in between the teeth to allow them room to move, its common practice during invisalign treatment and I assume other type of braces. Its definitely sounds worse than it is.

Speak to your dentist about your options and go for it, I can't imagine anyone regretting it!!

Colliewollydoodle Thu 24-Jan-13 17:32:12

I went down the Invisalign route. It took 9 months to push back a front tooth and ease a space for it to be pushed into on the top and the bottom ones were all just straightened up as they were twisted. Brilliant, worked really well. I'm still wearing a retainer at night, thas been about 8 months now, and if I miss a night I can feel that the teeth are on the move, so need to carry on with the retainer. But it has all been simple easy painless pricey , but what teeth procedure isn't ? Would thoroughly recommend it. Most of my friends were completely unaware I was having it done.

saycheeeeeese Thu 24-Jan-13 22:20:50

collie did you pay for a retainer or do you just use your final tray?

Bakingnovice Thu 24-Jan-13 22:32:38

I've paid £2k for top braces incl retainer. It cost £100. I think I was a bit robbed. I've got ten weeks to go. It should've been less but apparently my teeth have shifted back a bit as the bl

Bakingnovice Thu 24-Jan-13 22:32:47

Bl

Bakingnovice Thu 24-Jan-13 22:33:35

So sorry. Fucking iPhone!

Bloody dentist makes appointments ten weeks apart and he admitted its too long.

saycheeeeeese Fri 25-Jan-13 07:31:23

Baking id be livid if my dentist messed me about like that!

Colliewollydoodle Wed 30-Jan-13 19:49:46

Sorry baking just checked thread, no it was all part of the package, I got two sets.

Colliewollydoodle Wed 30-Jan-13 19:51:24

Sorry SAYCHEEEESE just checked thread, no it was all part of the package, I got two sets.

saycheeeeeese Tue 05-Feb-13 08:47:45

My retainers are going to cost £400 for 3 sets shock

But they should last years as long as they're looked after!

The next year and a half is going to be long however I've noticed a change in my top canine which used to protrude badly, its now nearly in line with my other teeth smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now