Is there any health reason to wear a bra?

(22 Posts)
carolinecordery Mon 03-Dec-12 22:00:33

If you're physically comfortable without a bra on and don't care about the current or future appearance of your boobs, is there any reason to wear a bra?

drmummmsy Mon 03-Dec-12 22:02:06

so that the droopy-boobed ones amongst us don't singe our nipples when leaning over a hot hob? grin

HouseOfTinsel Mon 03-Dec-12 22:07:54

Well women throughout the ages have managed without, and many still do.

I can't imagine that there are any health benefits to trussing yourself and restricting your circulation with bits of flowery nylon, really. grin

44SoStartingOver Mon 03-Dec-12 22:09:20

I think big boobs can get very sweaty underneath, so maybe prone to infections/friction etc.

kaumana Mon 03-Dec-12 22:13:54

Go for it!

ElectricSoftParade Mon 03-Dec-12 22:17:07

Don't have a huge bust but have found, for me, Primark's bodyshaper vests BRILLIANT. They have enough to keep you in control and comfortable. Only wear a bra when I want a bit of ooopff. So I wear a vest most of the time grin

What I have never understood, or actually looked into, is why you shouldn't wear an underwired bra in pregnancy. Is it to do with the milk supply? Or something, as there is no need for a milk supply during pregnancy?. Like I say, I've obviously missed something.

ReallyTired Mon 03-Dec-12 22:23:04

Lots of women in the world never wear a bra. Just look at pictures of primative tribes all over the world.

HouseOfTinsel Mon 03-Dec-12 22:43:18
ouryve Mon 03-Dec-12 22:44:47

I'd trip over mine if I didn't wear a bra. I don't think a broken nose is very healthy.

Shesparkles Mon 03-Dec-12 22:46:45

Ok it's not a medical reason but I'm thinking permanent black eyes isn't a good look grin

PretzelTime Mon 03-Dec-12 22:55:01

No there isn't. Some people are ahem large of nork and appreciate the support, but if you feel fine going without, there is no reason to wear one.

Themumsnot Mon 03-Dec-12 22:56:30

When I don't wear a bra my tits are located approximately six inches south of their optimum position for aesthetic purposes. Which is unkind to the viewing public, quite frankly.

PretzelTime Mon 03-Dec-12 22:59:03

That might be an aesthetic reason Themumsnot (though I doubt most wouldn't care too much) but not a health reason.

Themumsnot Mon 03-Dec-12 23:09:24

We're talking about the traumatic effect of the sight of my unfettered norks on the general public, Pretzel, which constitutes quite a serious health issue IMO.

PretzelTime Mon 03-Dec-12 23:15:53

grinYour norks sounds pretty epic. Maybe you could use them as self-defense.

Themumsnot Tue 04-Dec-12 09:00:13

I know. I have to be careful even turning around. One false move and I'm knocking people out in three counties.

Mosman Tue 04-Dec-12 09:36:03

It's a good point though they are not cheap and if they don't prevent sagging I'd rather spend the money on wine if I'm honest

InNeedOfBrandyButter Tue 04-Dec-12 09:39:16

I don't have huge boobs so could be wrong, but I always thought a bra suported you and stopped your back from hurting if you had massive ones?

ethelb Tue 04-Dec-12 09:42:20

i have a small back and big norks and get quite sore if I don't wear a supportive bra.

hattymattie Tue 04-Dec-12 10:24:59

I'm in France and my daughter's sports teacher told them they should all have a sports bra or there was an increased risk of breast cancer.[shocked]. This is a first for me - thoughts please?

PretzelTime Tue 04-Dec-12 11:04:23

My thoughts are that the teacher sounds bonkers.

hattymattie Tue 04-Dec-12 14:45:21

Oops - I think I killed the thread - I thought the same as you pretzel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now