Do people have a dressing table?

(39 Posts)

Not sure if s&b is right place for this but am thinking about getting a dressing table. Have always dried my hair sitting on the floor in front of a mirror and same with putting make up on. My mum always sat at a dressing table. What do others do and do you think anything if you see in someone's room and they have a DT!! Thanks for any help!!

Castlelough Sat 05-Jan-13 21:24:36

Oh Arisbottle! envyenvyenvy

HotBurrito1 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:19:41

I have an Art Deco ish mirrored chest of drawers with an original Art Deco triple mirror on top. Keep all of my hair stuff and make up in the chest. Just need a vintage silk peignoir now to be properly deluded. Oh, and the Paul and Joe face powder with the big fluffy puff <greedy>.

StinkyWicket Sat 05-Jan-13 20:22:45

Yes I have this one which I love. Mine is covered in crap right now, really need to tidy it a bit blush

I always did my makeup sitting on my bed until about 2 years ago when I got it for my birthday. Mine is really small too.

Flossiechops Sat 05-Jan-13 20:20:07

I have a huge bay in my bedroom begging for a dressing table. I haven't found one I really like yet though!

Arisbottle Sat 05-Jan-13 19:02:04

Lol, I do have a freestanding bath in the connecting room !

Castlelough Sat 05-Jan-13 18:45:11

Ooh Arisbottle I would live a dressing room with a wall of voile draped windows and a freestanding bath how luxurious! :-)

Arisbottle Sat 05-Jan-13 12:27:27

Yes, in my dressing room. I use it every day.

uptheamp Sat 05-Jan-13 12:25:48

yes have this love it and have plastic organisers from ikea in it too.

the glass is great and you can put wallpaper or whatever under it if you want to personalise it

Bonsoir Sat 05-Jan-13 12:23:51

Yes, I have a small and very pretty marquetry French 18th century chest of drawers with a marble top. On top of it I have placed an English early 20th century triptych mirror. I have pretty porcelain pots and trays for make-up brushes etc.

CandyCrush Sat 05-Jan-13 12:22:17

I have a standard desk with a triple mirror on it. It works well as I have all my hair dryers,straighteners etc plugged in inside the cupboard bit (would have been for the PC) and just take them out ready plugged in...

ok so now I sound a bit anal

I also use the little pull out keyboard table for all my jewellery so I can pull it out and its all there in little sectioned craft boxes.

Make up is in the drawers on the other side smile

50pcoff Sat 05-Jan-13 10:28:44

I have a victorian washstand similar to this

It's not too big and holds everything I need

Cerealqueen Fri 04-Jan-13 23:07:39

I would love one, my mum had one and I spent many an afternoon looking through her things wondering about 'all in one make-up' and how one tube of liquid could alo be lipstick, blusher, eyeshadow etc (am a bit literal) and trying on her jewellery, maybe when Dd2 is out of our room I can convert the chest of drawers in our bedroom and have a little corner just for me.

tigerdriverII Fri 04-Jan-13 22:41:07

I have a dressing room <<preens>>. And a dressing table, but it's in the wrong place to dry my hair so I don't really use it.

Castlelough Fri 04-Jan-13 22:38:21

I know this thread is a couple of months old but I have really enjoyed reading it and wanted to add a post!
Have got lots of ideas for my little new years project! Think it will declutter our bathroom and my bedside locker!

madmomma Mon 26-Nov-12 10:28:09

tweet you sexy bitch! Waaaaannnt. Do you just love it?

CalamityJones Mon 26-Nov-12 06:15:59

Yes, I've got a French one in silver and black, quite baroque. It has three drawers (one for makeup, one for hairdryer and straighteners, one for... Not sure, haven't looked in it for a while) and a triptych mirror. The top is covered in perfume bottles and framed photos of my daughter. I really enjoy it, most days I just put on foundation and mascara while running around the house trying to get ready, but when I'm actually Going Out it's lovely to get out of the bath and sit at my dressing table to do my hair and make-up.

MrsHoarder Mon 26-Nov-12 05:56:03

Just a high chest of drawers here with hair dryer and straighteners hanging off one end on hooks, a round "magnifying mirror", a set of "mini drawers", a basket for bottles and a bit of space for everything I use daily on top.

Use it standing up, and DH knows not to leave anything on it.

markmark Mon 26-Nov-12 05:29:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

markmark Mon 26-Nov-12 05:28:03

a table with a mirror and drawers, used while dressing or applying make-up.
a piece of bedroom furniture with a mirror and a set of drawers for clothes, cosmetics, etc.
Beautiful fabrics from Italy and Spain for you to customise your upholstered furniture with.
http://www.funique.co.uk/bedroom-furniture/bedside-cabinets.html
]Click here[/url]

putonyourredshoes Tue 20-Nov-12 09:55:46

Ooh I do have a proper dressing room and a dressing table in another room.

The dressing table in the main bedroom was antique and was getting ruined from hairspray, make-up, nail varnish, and so on.

So DD and I converted a spare room into our dressing room. We don't have a proper dressing table, we sit on an exercise ball at an old coffee table and use the window sill for the make-up mirror. It's great, we sit together and do our stuff in the morning.

Plus it means DH can use the freezing cold en-suite on his own, whilst DD and me share the main bathroom in luxurious warmth. Everyone's a winner.

smug

ggirl Mon 19-Nov-12 22:33:54

I have an art deco one I bought from ebay , it's one of those very low to the ground ones , didn't realise when I bid on it so not comfortable to use.
I love the idea of one and have started a thread a while ago about it ,but my problem is lighting, I get much better light at the windowsill so the whole idea is redundant really .
My ideal would be a big lighted mirror and table like a proper dressing room one ..but then I'd want a separate room...sheesh getting carried away now.

MustStopOutingSelf Mon 19-Nov-12 19:52:27

I used to have one and loved it. Unfortunately kids have taken my space away smile so now I have this

It's pretty good, the top is felt lined for my jewellery and all my hair and make up goes in the big drawers (along with our clean towels!) And DH screwed a hook on one side to hang my hairdryer on.

The only problem is I can't do my make up in the mirror because my sight is poor and I need to be right up close to the mirror. My wardrobes are behind me so I turn around and do my make up in the wardrobe mirror then turn back to my dressing unit to straighten my hair (don't need to see quite so well for that!)

CointreauVersial Mon 19-Nov-12 13:27:03

Blimey, Tweet, now that's a serious piece of dressing table kit.

MrsAyrtonSenna Mon 19-Nov-12 11:58:18

Yes, have always had one - but need locks on it now as DDs think it is a treasure trove for them to raid.......... How is it that they instinctively know which is the 'good stuff' when they plaster their faces with my make-up??? They have ruined it more than once, you know the sort of thing, twisting the lippy up into the top and mushing it, messing up my make-up brushes by using them on the wrong things. Cant leave perfumes out either................

Also keep my favourite pieces of jewellery in it and have hooks mounted on the wall to keep straighteners/hairdryers etc close to hand. I love my dressing table and its contents!! Its my little slice of girlie heaven.

Tweet2tweet Mon 19-Nov-12 09:47:21

oops- link dressing table

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now