Havaianas, are they really comfortable?

(28 Posts)
Virgil Thu 04-Oct-12 17:56:17

We're off to Disneyworld and I have nothing to wear on my feet. The ancient hush puppy flip flops I took last time have given up on me. My colleague has said Havaianas are super comfortable but they look a bit flimsy.

does anyone have the freedom style or the ones with the slight wedge?

NatashaBee Thu 04-Oct-12 18:03:02

They are pretty good, the thong bit that goes between your toes is softer than cheaper flipflops and so doesn't rub.

Virgil Thu 04-Oct-12 18:05:21

Do you think they would stand up to miles of wAlking every day? It will be not and so I really don't want to have to wear trainers.

Virgil Thu 04-Oct-12 18:05:35

Hot not not !

Annianni Thu 04-Oct-12 18:05:54

I wear the normal style, they are very comfy and last really well too.

Folicacid Thu 04-Oct-12 18:06:02

They are the fliplops of the Gods. Super comfy, don't rub. I have lots of pairs of flat ones.

If you are going to be walking for miles though, you may want to go for sandals with cushioning.

Folicacid Thu 04-Oct-12 18:07:05

I once walked 10km in a pair an survived. Wouldn't do that again though.

DonaAna Thu 04-Oct-12 18:08:33

I have many pairs and wear one right now - comfy yes but wear them for a few days around the house first, you need to make sure they will not hurt you (the thong bit is critical).

QuickLookBusy Thu 04-Oct-12 18:12:12

Yes they are very comfortable and would stand up to walking miles. I wear them a lot but not for long walks.

Dd wore them constantly on a school trip to France this summer. They did a lot of sightseeing and she said they weren't very supportive and got sore ankles after the second day.

Would you be better off with something more like a light trainer or a sandle?

JamInMyWellies Thu 04-Oct-12 18:18:46

Super comfy I wore mine to traipse around Disney this Summer and they were fab.

Or you can be like all the Americans who wore gym gear and running trainers. Which to be honest some days I wish I had gym gear to wear. All that hot sweaty weather in lovely clothes or wear gym stuff with the dry sweat wicking stuff. Not too stupid.

Virgil Thu 04-Oct-12 18:20:13

I'm struggling to find anything. There are lots of sandals and flip flops in the sales but they all seem to have hard wooden soles which will obviously be useless.

We went a couple of years ago and I lived in a pair of hush puppy flips flops and they were fine. Can't find the same/similar style now though.

I have two weeks so if I order some and wear them around the house I can see whether they hurt I guess. The is a style called freedom which has a strap around the back but I'm not sure whether they would then rub.

Bluestocking Thu 04-Oct-12 18:22:31

I love Fitflops flipflops and they put plenty of cushioning between your feet and the street.

Havaianas are great and longlasting (including in and out of the sea, on rocky beaches for two summers in a row etc)

BobbiThePanda Fri 05-Oct-12 08:07:10

I've got 4 pairs of Havs . I've been wearing them to death every summer since about 2003 so nearly 10 years and as each pair dies I replace them. I have the ones with a slight wedge because I'm short. They are super comfy (for flip flops). Having said that I'm not sure I'd wear them to walk round Disneyworld for a full day.
I haven't tried the Freedom style you mention but would share the same concern about that back strap rubbing.

roughtyping Fri 05-Oct-12 08:16:46

I wore mine walking round Disney/Universal this summer. Soooo comfy. As a PP said though, wear them around the house first so your feet are used to them.

I'm also weird and like flip flop tan lines - the only part of my body that tans is my feet!

I too love my havaianas, and have 4 pairs in varying degrees of decomposition, they are so much comfier than other flip flops!
Having said that, if I was going back to DisneyWorld then I would probably be taking a pair of Birkenstocks to wear for walking round the parks....now that I've counted up, I realise I have 4 pairs of them as well! I think they are more supportive for your feet when you're walking a lot.
Have a lovely time grin

SewCrafty Fri 05-Oct-12 09:22:21

I love Rocket Dog Sunset ones. Sooo, comfy. They shape to your feet, Thong bits fabric. I'm on my second pair in about 5 years. Otherwise I walked around Disney this year in Birkenstocks.

eurochick Fri 05-Oct-12 15:06:14

They are comfier than other flip flops although mine do rub in one place on top of my foot. I've had them for ages and they last really well, but every year I get the same sore spot from them!

Personally, for a lot of walking, I would buy some light Converse or similar. Somthing like this: www.usc.co.uk/converse-all-star-light-trainers-275358?siteID=CJ

I have a similar pair and they are light and breathable and perfect for walking on flat surfaces (they are no good for rough terrain though, as the soles are so thin).

Bluestocking Fri 05-Oct-12 21:46:56

I should confess that I would not, under any circumstances, be able to bring myself to wear Havaianas - the town I live in is chock-full of braying students, every single one of whom seems to wear them rain or shine, so I have developed an unreasonable dislike of what I am sure is a perfectly inoffensive flipflop.

mamalovesmojitos Fri 05-Oct-12 21:51:20

They are amazing and i wear mine as much as possible. They are very flat which doesn't suit everyone but it suits me.

shopalot Fri 05-Oct-12 22:34:20

When we went to Florida I wore my haviannas and they were fine until it rained and then I struggled as I slid in them and they were really uncomfortable. Just a thought to consider.

ihatethecold Fri 05-Oct-12 22:45:36

I love my haviiana flip flops. So comfy. Last years but I would go for Birkenstocks that have a strap higher up on your foot to hold them on securely.
I wore mine last year at Disney and will do again this yr.

BerthaKitt Fri 05-Oct-12 22:57:37

I would go for Birkenstocks. I have these and have walked for miles on pavements, dodgy Achilles tendon and all, with no discomfort.

DaPrincessBride Fri 05-Oct-12 23:13:45

My havaianas saw me around Australia, NZ and various parts of Asia - and are still going strongly 5 years on. Love them!

HoopDePoop Fri 05-Oct-12 23:15:13

This is a nice change from all the boots threads grin

I find them v comfy, yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now