Been done to death I know but... boots for the VERY chunky of leg?

(60 Posts)
CarpeJugulum Tue 25-Sep-12 08:34:25

I'm 5ft, and I have what can politely be described as "rugby player" legs. They're not flabby, but they are large in proportion to my height. I also have cankles.

I've tried on boots in Clarks, M&S etc marked "wider fitting" and they don't even get near getting round my calf or my ankle, or depressingly, both! sad

In an attempt to elaborate (and publically humiliate myself!) I have measured my calf and my ankle (at the bony bit) is 9"/23cm and the widest bit of my calf is 15"/38cm shock

So tell me, where do I get nice knee-high leather boots (mid calf make me look really dumpy due to my height) without major studdage/fancy bits and a sensible heel, something like these.

Please?

dexter73 Tue 25-Sep-12 08:44:37

Have you looked at Duo?

I get mine from Simply Be, they do a range of fittings

Dollydowser Tue 25-Sep-12 08:52:29

Duo go up to 50cm so yours are very slender smile. I think its a case of trying lots on to get some that are are good fit on ankles, or ringing customer services for advice.

londonone Tue 25-Sep-12 09:11:16

To be honest if you are 5ft with very chunky legs, knee high boots will look awful no matter what size they are. Why not go for an ankle boot.

whyme2 Tue 25-Sep-12 09:14:29

Have you tried Evans?

My calves are 17" at the widest I bought a lovely pair from ebay last year which fit well. I would also recommend the Simply Be range, although I find the foot part sometimes a bit loose.

CarpeJugulum Tue 25-Sep-12 09:25:46

All great suggestions.

I do wear ankle boots, but live in NE Scotland, so sometimes ankle boots don't cut the mustard with our weather and I want something longer for under dresses and skirts.

I may have already been onto DUO after the suggestions from dexter73 and dollydowser and ordered a pair as a treat for my birthday... blush

And to be fair, my last pair of boots (ankle) were bought about 5 years ago for £60 and are still going strong, so I'm looking at them as an investment grin

ByTheWay1 Tue 25-Sep-12 09:31:41

DUO are fab - I bought a pair (40cm!!) four years ago - have replaced the heel, and have had a non slip winter sole put on, but still wear them every day in winter - they last well, the zips are good and they polish up beautifully

Dollydowser Tue 25-Sep-12 09:32:12

If you have already been to Duo, then imo you already have seen the best. Wait until the sale if its more pairs you are after, I have built up a nice little collection that way. I love knee highs and skirts, very leg slimming smile

bagpuss Tue 25-Sep-12 09:35:07

None of you have legs as fat as mine! grin

I love my duo boots! They are lovely and warm in winter too.

Which ones did you order Carpe?

CarpeJugulum Tue 25-Sep-12 10:09:20

I ordered the Aurelia boots and I covet several more pairs! wink

Just hope my cankles play ball!

CarpeJugulum Tue 25-Sep-12 10:10:27

Oops, the link is right, but they are the Aralia boots. Ducking spell checker! grin

Pastabee Tue 25-Sep-12 10:20:04

You'll love your new boots. I've lost weight so can wear high street boots now but they are crap compared to Duo so I still order from there.

daisydoodoo Tue 25-Sep-12 11:41:42

me too pastabee. i've lost a tonne of weight (almost literally 8stone 10lb now) and still buy duo boots as the fit is good. some a little loose at the ankle but good as i hate that some shop boots are now too wide and a bit welly boot like.

Pastabee Tue 25-Sep-12 12:03:36

Oh my goodness daisy that's amazing. Well done! thanks

How have you managed that?

Mine was just baby weight so no where near that and surprisingly not too hard to shift.

DorisIsWaiting Tue 25-Sep-12 12:21:00

Try Viva la Diva as well, they do a variety of wide fits, calf and foot.

showtunesgirl Tue 25-Sep-12 12:27:27

What's your secret daisy? I would love to be 8 10 again!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 25-Sep-12 12:29:23

£160 for boots! <<faints>>

Dollydowser Tue 25-Sep-12 12:59:39

You get what you pay for. And us chunky calf girls don't get a choice unfortunately. But cost per wear and all that, works out cheap in the end.

CarpeJugulum Tue 25-Sep-12 13:24:03

Yep. I have tried all cheap boots from high street stores, and nothing fits. I even struggle with ankle boots at times.

I'm not fat now I'm a size 14, but even when I was a size 8-10, I still couldn't find boots to fit me. I've been hunting for the last 15 years, so in the great scheme of things, £160 for knee length boots after 15 years when I will hopefully wear them for 3/4 years or longer if I care for them as I do with my current ankle boots, is small change per wear per year.

Dollydowser Tue 25-Sep-12 14:51:19

Body size often has no relation to calf size. My SIL who is a dress size 6 also has to buy her boots in Duo as high street boots won't do up.

Pastabee Tue 25-Sep-12 14:57:30

I think foot size has a lot to do with it dolly. I've never been bigger than a 14 even at my largest but with size 3 feet and a 5,7 frame I couldn't do high street boots up. I once tried a size 6 for the sake of argument and they did up fine.

Has your SIL got small feet compared to her height?

Dollydowser Tue 25-Sep-12 15:21:43

Size 3 feet, not quite 5 foot in height, 35/6" calves.

CarpeJugulum Tue 25-Sep-12 15:47:02

Yup. Same here. 5ft, size 3.5/4 depending on cut of shoe and 38cm calves.

Also tried a size 6 and it was fine.

T'is petitism wink

Dollydowser Tue 25-Sep-12 15:52:38

My feet are size 4! So its not our calves that are too big, tis our feet that are too small smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now