Ok, where is the brilliant 'Warm and waterproof coat' thread from last year? I need another one.

(512 Posts)
CuttedUpPear Sun 23-Sep-12 20:46:11

I bought an amazing coat by Didriksons last year on the advice of a MNetter here who worked in the industry. She gave the BEST advice but I can't find the thread now. Basically she explained how warm AND waterproof is a hard combination to come by because we're the only country with such a wet and cold climate and no one designs for us. Nice.

I bought the coat for DS but ended up wearing it myself, now I need to buy him one of his own before he gets soaked to the skin!

just read the blog! I love the coat but don't have that to splurge on. My Gap parka is still going but its not warm, any suggestions that are less expensive? Or is there such a thing that I can wash said parka in to make it waterproof hmm

Damn that Didriksons 'Rebecca' is lovelllyy! The Regatta parkas seem pretty reasonable though?

MorrisZapp Tue 25-Sep-12 12:46:10

The Lands End Squall linked to on the thread looks pretty good - and £120. Comes in two lengths.

actiongirl1978 Tue 25-Sep-12 12:48:05

Agatha.. I like it!

MorrisZapp Tue 25-Sep-12 12:48:54

Oh blimey. The Didrikson's one looks amazing too.

actiongirl1978 Tue 25-Sep-12 12:49:04

regnamechange - it really is amazing, v expensive but honestly I have been soaked and cold this morning and it has warmed me up and kept me dry - and looks pretty cool too.

MorrisZapp Tue 25-Sep-12 12:55:07

Ok. I need a Didriksons.

And they're out of stock, everywhere.

sad..

kiwidreamer Tue 25-Sep-12 12:57:33

Is the Rebecca coat about mid thigh length or is it a bum coverer?

dingdong3 Tue 25-Sep-12 12:57:56

I got my Merrell as a Christmas present - it arrived on Christmas Eve last year! Defo not the sort of money I have to spend on a normal month. If you're not as fussed on the look but more on the dryness and warmth. You can get a Merrell Haven (duffle style buttons) on this link for £79 or on this link in a not very practical colour (but washable) for £69 - bigger sizes only.

dingdong3 Tue 25-Sep-12 12:58:27

sorry, make that £65 on the second link smile

naturalbaby Tue 25-Sep-12 13:02:36

I'm still trying to decide between the Merrell coat and the Didrikson one but am really tall and have broad shoulders - is anyone else who can recommend one/either coat?

dingdong3 Tue 25-Sep-12 13:06:36

You may need to size up in the Merrell if you're broad in the shoulders. Are you near a Cotswold store? I went in there to try on the Merrells before I bought. Can't comment on the Didrikson Rebecca - sorry but it does look a good bit shorter than the Wakefield/Ellenwood

MorrisZapp Tue 25-Sep-12 13:08:48
MorrisZapp Tue 25-Sep-12 13:10:39

Wakefield for £119 on that link ^

I don't understand though, the sizes are 10, 12 etc but I thought it was small, medium etc? I'm a 14 so I don't know what size to get as I've heard they're small made.

MorrisZapp Tue 25-Sep-12 13:11:33

dingdong, what does the Wakefield feel like? From the pics the outer fabric looks a bit stiff and rough?

OttersPocket Tue 25-Sep-12 13:15:36

I looked and looked at the Ellenwood but I still prefer the Wakefield. So after much googling I found a company with some of the black Wakefields in stock Here

I've just ordered it and I'm quite excited really grin Although it would've been nice to have gotten it when it was half the price...

MorrisZapp Tue 25-Sep-12 13:16:17

I've read the blog now - fab! Aren't you a cute mama smile

JamInMyWellies Tue 25-Sep-12 13:17:49

I have a didriksons and love it!!! I also have just purchased one for DS.

There is a great website called Viking kids which sells them.

dingdong3 Tue 25-Sep-12 13:18:34

Morris, that's the un-insulated version for info...the insulated one is £139. So tempted to get a black un-insulated one as I wear the other so much and it's nice to have another colour. Maybe for this Christmas tho the hubby will be hmm
Size wise, they are probably fairly true to size but if have a nork-worthy chest (unlike me) you will need to size up IMO. I don't have much up top - am a 10 on top, 12 bottom half. The 10 fits neatly. If I was a heavy jumper wearer, I would have to size up. But I've never needed to wear more than a few light layers under it. It's very cosy.

JamInMyWellies Tue 25-Sep-12 13:18:58

Sorry also meant to say the Didrikson coats are v generous in size.

dingdong3 Tue 25-Sep-12 13:21:39

Aw..thanks Morris...I do my best tho I certainly am not a fashion expert or stylist or anything...what started out as a bit of fun has grown arms and legs unexpectedly. Not sure where to go with it but for now it legitimises my constant browsing and shopping habits white the kids are at school!

kiwidreamer Tue 25-Sep-12 13:32:01

There looks to be a new Didrikson coming soon, per order for 1/10 Naomi it looks like it has some sort of waist definition, comes in Graphite, can't find the Rebecca in stock anywhere I think the dark green / khaki would suit my colouring - darn it!

JamInMyWellies Tue 25-Sep-12 13:38:07

Erm that is not a coat on that link. gringrin

dingdong3 Tue 25-Sep-12 13:38:10

Here is the link to that Naomi It is gorgeous! Getting more like the Merrell...i think Didrikson should get me to review and compare it on the blog!! wink

sheeplikessleep Tue 25-Sep-12 13:40:41

I'm after a warm winter coat too.
Is anyone on the short side and has any recommendations? Typically coats hang on me / too long in arm and too long length wise for me. I've got a North Face coat, which is warm with the fleece with it. I've gone for Petite ranges (Next) in past, but would really like a warm more technical coat.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now