Help! MN haircut = mullet!

(104 Posts)
BrittaPerry Tue 22-May-12 13:36:07

ARGH! I gave myself the MN haircut, dyed it all black/purple, and it looks like a mullet! The short layers are kind of more "pouffy" than the others.

I have a work thing to do tonight where I need to look good (hence the haircut, and I have tried to dye it purple but it has turned nearer to black and so I will have to wear more makeup just to look alive)

WHAT DO I DO????

PlayEatSleep Wed 23-May-12 20:32:52

What did you end up doing last night OP?

PinotysaurusRex Wed 23-May-12 14:14:14

I love LumpyLatimers posts.

Op get thee to a hairdressers, and I say that with love.

ProcrastinationEatsTime Wed 23-May-12 11:17:17

So, did you end up looking feeling OK for the 'do' yesterday?

CaptainHetty Tue 22-May-12 22:00:12

It works quite well when you're desperate for a cut. The issue here looks (to me) to be that she's cut the top layers way too short, mine always works quite well and I cut it the exact same way. But I have quite long hair anyway so even my shortest layers are still quite long.

CanISawItOff Tue 22-May-12 21:55:19

A brave or foolish person would do that in my very humble opinion!

Yup the very same.

CanISawItOff Tue 22-May-12 21:46:13

Get it cut short and shaggy or get it cropped into a pixie cut.

You've really ballsed that one up!

Is the MN haircut the one where you fling your head upside down tie a pony tail on the top of your noggin and then chop it off before chipping into it?

BreakingBad Tue 22-May-12 21:25:54

You would definitely suit shorter hair! Seriously.

AllPastYears Tue 22-May-12 20:29:51

Mine looked a bit like that - rather Suzi Quattro confused. I improved it by trimming some of the length at the back (myself shock) and using straighteners and hair serum so it didn't look quite so wild grin.

keithlemonsbackdoors Tue 22-May-12 20:07:06

What the heck is the mn haircut??

I have managed to work out that it is a hit or miss DIY job, but what does it entail? Is it the one where you put your hair in a ponytail and hack at it willy nilly? Coz if it is, I don't think mn invented it!

LumpyLatimer Tue 22-May-12 19:55:51

Well I've been feeling a bit odd lately but I don't THINK it's split personality disorder <nervous> grin

peggyblackett Tue 22-May-12 19:52:14

Lumpy are you me? grin You've just described me to a tee (sp?)

sugarspiceandallthingsnice324 Tue 22-May-12 18:34:27

Ok, well it was worse than i thought. I think you should definitely go and see a hairdresser - a pixie cut or inverted bob might be the way to go.

Actually it looks ok, I was expecting something akin to Gaz Top (was that his name?) But if you aren't happy with it, don't straighten it - it really wouldn't look right with the layers. Either pin it up at the back, or try to tousle/curl it.

Hepsibaaah Tue 22-May-12 15:38:35

I wouldn't straighten, won't suit your face shape and would make layers screamingly obvious. I'd be tempted to try very loose tousled curls for the immediate works-do, bit of styling wax through to hold.

LumpyLatimer Tue 22-May-12 15:38:12

...that is to say: I think I have a large face, which to all intents and purposes, at least as far as haircuts are concerned, is the same thing!

LumpyLatimer Tue 22-May-12 15:37:35

Oh it's all right: I am!

No: I have longish thick hair. I crave a short pixie cut above all else, but I am tall, and strapping, with a large face (not a fat one, but one with large bones and features), and a pixie cut would make me look like I belong in Cell Block H, ruling the guards with a rod of iron hmm

londonone Tue 22-May-12 15:35:46

Are you a short her wearer then lumpy? (feels very rude to call you lumpy!)

LumpyLatimer Tue 22-May-12 15:32:26

Well - and this is quite an advanced level of stalking here! - I think with shorter hair she has to do a lot of waxing and tousling to get it to wave like that. I reckon when it was longer the weight straightened it (that's what happens with mine anyways).

londonone Tue 22-May-12 15:23:57

I have already stalked her various haircuts! Love the way it is now. Looks quite curly but when her hair was long it looked straight, do you think she straightened it?

LumpyLatimer Tue 22-May-12 15:08:58

I know Londonone, sorry grin

I adore her. EVery time I look at her blog I spend money I haven't got on Vintage CLobber that looks shite on me because I am Old and Tired and Fat grin

If you feel really stalky you can go right back in time and watch her grow up <fond>

londonone Tue 22-May-12 15:06:10

Lumpylatimer - What have you done!nnI will now be forced to spend the afternoon gazing at Karla and her lovely closet!

QueenieLovesEels Tue 22-May-12 15:05:01

Re the colour I think you would suit a rich mahogany but even nicer- Nice n easy Cool mid brown. You look very similar to me in colouring and suit black. This colour is actually pretty dark but not so that it turns black.

QueenieLovesEels Tue 22-May-12 14:57:52

Tis not hard. The amount of times I have come out of a hairdressers with the hedgehog or Angela Rippon cut....

I took things into my own hands and haven't looked back. The key is to keep your fingers vertical not horizontal. Just go easy and not take too much off.

I cut my Mum's, two daughter's, husband's and son's hair too. My Mum has been particularly impressed and has stopped having to lash out £45 every month. People ask us both where we get our hair cut....so I think I do O.k!

Personally I think a lot of hairdressers are held in unnecessary awe.
You can pick up thinning scissors for a couple of pounds from chemists.

dylsmimi Tue 22-May-12 14:56:19

Sorry i haven't seen your picture but know you said the colour was darker than you wanted - did you know if you wash your hair with voseene it strips the colour out of your hair head & shoulders also does but not as effective. You will need loads of conditioner though to counteract it.
don't worry about tonight i am sure you will look fine and forget all about your hair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now