Please note: This topic is for discussions about sponsored events Mumsnet are recruiting for. It's not the place for promoting other events. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss hosting an event with Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

DryNites bedwetting "Ask the Expert" Event with Dr Penny Dobson - London - 30 Sept

(29 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Aug-10 13:20:18

Does your child wet the bed? Or do you know anyone who is struggling with bedwetting problems? DryNites is holding a special 'meet the expert' event where you can put your questions, in person, to DryNites expert Dr Penny Dobson. As founder and former director of ERIC, the UK charity for bedwetting, Penny is one of the leading experts on bedwetting.

The event will take place:

~ On Thursday 30 September
~ From 11.30am - 2.30pm
~ In Chelsea, London
~ Lunch will be served at 1pm
~ Sorry, no creche facilities will be available

If you are selected to attend and turn up on the day, you'll receive a goody bag, and up to £50 towards travel expenses (receipts needed).

Please note you will also be filmed and the video will be used on the DryNites area on Mumsnet and possibly elsewhere.

If you're interested in attending please add your details here and we will be in touch.

Thanks
MNHQ

notnowbernard Sat 07-Aug-10 20:49:17

Sounds great but will have a newborn and a new-school starter so not the best date for me

Never mind

Will there be a feedback/info thread after?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 07-Aug-10 22:57:10

Notnowbernard...sorry you can't make it - there is a drynites microsite here which may help/ be of interest to you already

NickOfTime Sun 08-Aug-10 02:24:35

can't make it but am impressed that drynites are being sensible and getting an impartial expert in grin

ds1 is almost 9 and has been through meds and alarms over the last couple of years with no success, so i'd have loved to do it. sad

will be looking out for the feedback.

whoops Sun 08-Aug-10 10:22:15

I would have been interested had ds (9) not been successful with an alarm in the last week!

notnowbernard Sun 08-Aug-10 11:04:46

Thanks, Ann, will check it out smile

DD now under a lovely team at the eneuresis clinic so am in the process of trying things out

23balloons Sun 08-Aug-10 14:22:20

whoops sorry to hijack but did you buy the alarm yourself. ds will be 10 in Sept I have been to doctors but might as well bang my head against a brick wall. Latest suggestion in 3 weeks worth of meds which I don't want to give him. Have been waiting over a year for a bladder scan & now the nurses will not be back until late Sept. I am seriously thinking of buying an alarm myself.

Regarding the event I would have loved to go but work on Thursdays. Its really not at a convenient time for most people with school age children, many of whom tend to work during the day.

NickOfTime Sun 08-Aug-10 17:01:23

yes - we've bought several. the best ones are malem alarms (they have several different tones and a vibration feature so the child does not become used to one noise) - really a very good product.

you can borrow them from some enuresis clinics etc, but we just bought ours, far simpler and no waiting.

dd1 tried meds which didn't work, but the alarm was successful within two weeks of using it. unfortunately ds1 isn't as compliant and consciously or unconsciously unplugs the alarm (before it goes off lol... presumably so that it doesn't). he's had the scans etc, so next step for him is camhs. <sigh> he's been on 3 different meds with no success.

malem alarms. fab. smile <apols drynites>

I've put in for it. Give anything a go with DS.

missy10 Sun 08-Aug-10 18:01:45

i have a 12year old ds who still bed wets every night and i have tried every thing i would be greatful for any help or advive

emmaand3 Mon 09-Aug-10 20:17:00

I can't make this - but it seems interesting how many kids are still wet. Must be one of the last taboos with kids too. DD takes meds and DS just started them but arent working so far.

23balloons Tue 10-Aug-10 08:06:23

Thanks Nickoftime - I haven't been on for a few days. I will look into it. Since I have taken the pullups away we have been getting 2-3 dry beds/week. In the past 2 years of pullups have never had a dry one. I can cope in the summer but not looking forward to the cold weather!

magso Tue 10-Aug-10 13:21:42

Is this seminar likely to be suited to parents of older children? If it is I would try anything!!
I have a nearly 11 year old who wets every night. We had some success with a (purchased)malem alarm (he was wetting several times a night now is once a night). Agree the marlem alarms are good, and buying it yourself meant I could choose a product that suited my child. ( He has ASD and over reacts to loud noise - which would be counter productive- the vibration mode aone feature was needed in this case). If I were to buy another I would choose a model with a romote bell to put in my room to wake me gently(!)(or to force the child to get up to be rid of the noise) The down side of using an alarm is that ds will no longer willingly wear a pad - (self worn waterproof protection cannot be worn with an alarm because of sweat setting off the sensor) - he always wants to try to be dry! We use medication which only really works if used occasionally - ie when staying overnight away from home.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 11-Aug-10 12:24:02

Hi Magso....drynites say it is aimed at parents of children aged 4-15...so please do add your details if you are able to attend and we'll let you know if you get selected to attend (we're trying to get a good balance of folks/ issues)

Thanks
Ann

Can't attend but interested in anything that comes out of it. Have a DD (7) who has to wear a drynite still every night. Would appreciate if someone could raise the question of bedwetting correlating with heavy sleepers (like my DD).

NickOfTime Thu 12-Aug-10 21:54:14

dd1 was a heavy sleeper - meds had no effect. we used an alarm with her and she was dry within two weeks (nb - the alarm woke us up when she was wet, so we went in, put the lights on, made lots of noise and shook her awake. she would sleep through the alarm.)

we were told that there were three reasons for night time enuresis - essesntial hormonal, deep sleep, or both. wink

dd1 was a classic deep sleeper. ds1 is both, with a dose of obstinacy thrown in for good measure grin

there are lots of mners who don't like the 'waking the child' philosophy and believe alarms or parents waking the child when the alarm goes off is cruel in some way. (not talking about lifting here - total waste of time from a training perspective, can be good from a laundry perspective though wink) anyway, it worked very well for dd1.

you have to be quite thorough and ensure you go in and wake the child fully as soon as the alarm goes off though.

IlanaK Fri 13-Aug-10 18:14:08

I signed up for this but am also about to start tonight with a Rodger alarm for my 9 year old son. We tried meds to no effect. Wish me luck!

NickOfTime Sat 14-Aug-10 00:51:37

oo, good luck ilana! remember that if he's a deep sleeper then you might have to be near enough to hear it and react for a week or so, though. i'm a 'lights on' fan. grin

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 18-Aug-10 12:44:02

Email invites gone out just now for those who've applied. If anyone else is interested please fill in the form and we can add you to the reserve list

Thanks

PandaEis Wed 18-Aug-10 21:09:04

i got an email!! woo hoo!! im looking at travel options now etc as im from the north westsmile

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 08-Sep-10 10:58:28

Hi - pls do check your emails if you applied for this - be good to get the list finalised for attendees. Ann

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 09-Sep-10 15:37:09

Thanks to those who have confirmed their attendance. We do have some folks who are now unable to attend so have some spaces - please do add your details here if you'd like to attend and we'll get back to you. Many thanks MNHQ

I'm actually looking forward to this to an unreasonable degree <needs to get out more emoticon> wink

PandaEis Fri 10-Sep-10 12:32:58

im not sure if i am able to comesad DH may be working away and we are uber skintb at the mo aswell so i need to work it out! boooo!!

hobbgoblin Sat 11-Sep-10 13:20:05

My DS is 7, his brother is 9. Both bed wetters until recently now just the 7 year old. Don't know what 'cured' DS1 but it may have been linked to constipation issues.

DS2 is in pull ups every night. He will be getting sleepover invites this year I expect - a hugely embarrassing stage for DS1 when he was still wetting.

Perhaps I'll sign up...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now