This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell Tenderstem® what you think of their recipes and add your own - £250 voucher prize draw NOW CLOSED

(158 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Sep-13 09:57:25

The team at Tenderstem® have asked us to find out what Mumsnetters think of their latest collection of family-friendly, time-saving recipes.

In case you don't know it (yet) Tenderstem® is a long-stemmed broccoli – and tender from floret to stem so the whole vegetable can be eaten.

Here's what the team at Tenderstem® have to say, "Tenderstem® is a wonder vegetable for family cooking as, not only is it ready to eat after just 3 minutes of steaming, it is packed full of nutrients and leaves no costly waste behind making it one of the most versatile vegetables around."

They go on to say, "we know from first-hand experience how challenging it can be to keep the whole family happy and healthy when we're all so busy, which is what has inspired us to create our latest collection of recipes. With prepare-ahead dishes, to those mild in flavour, and adaptable to please a range of tastes and all quick and simple to prepare, Tenderstem® has it covered!"

They also have teamed up with family food expert and author Fiona Faulkner to give you these top ten tips to save time and money in the kitchen.

Please have a look through Tenderstem®'s specially designed Facebook album for Mumsnetters here, you could even 'like' your favourite recipe grin. Then come back to this thread and let us know what you think.

They'd also love to know whether you already cook with Tenderstem®, or whether it has yet to make it into your fridge. If you have cooked with it before, tell us what you loved about it! Feel free to share any other recipes from your repertoire which use Tenderstem®. Or any tips you have on how to prepare it/ use it in established recipes.

Everyone who joins in with the discussion on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 voucher for House of Fraser.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

JudithOfThePiece Tue 24-Sep-13 14:21:29

I love tenderstem broccoli, but it's so expensive compared to normal broccoli that it's rare that I buy it.

I had a look at the money saving tips and I have to say that if I ever reach a point in my life where money is so tight I need to consider turning off my oven ten minutes before the end of any cooking time, then I doubt I'll be buying tender stem broccoli!

I did have a look at the recipes and liked the look of the one pot roast thingy. That's also one of the recipes that possibly wouldn't work quite so well with standard broccoli, as I imagine the stems are good roasted. The pasta dishes, however, can probably have normal broccoli as a substitute without much noticeable difference.

Tyranasaurus Tue 24-Sep-13 14:36:40

I like tenderstem and sprouting broccoli (are they different?) Recipes look fine but really they seem like 'oh you could add some broccoli to this'

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 24-Sep-13 14:50:45

Hi everyone, thanks for posting. In regards to some of the points that have been raised, Tenderstem say, "It's great to see so many of you joining the discussion and feeding in your thoughts and ideas. We wanted to address a couple of comments on behalf of the team at Tenderstem who are enjoying finding out what mumsnetters have to say but who are keen to respond to a few points raised.

First of all, to respond to the GM question raised - no, Tenderstem is definitely not genetically modified. Also, some of you asked about the difference between Tenderstem® and other types of broccoli. Tenderstem® is not the same as traditional broccoli, Bellaverde or purple sprouting broccoli. It is actually a cross of Chinese Kale and traditional broccoli and is bred using classical techniques.– so it has all the health benefits of broccoli but has a milder taste and is more tender than the others on the market (in fact it's so tender you don’t actually need to cook it at all!). To pick up on the query about the trademark this is to protect the quality of this unique vegetable.

Finally the team were sorry that a few of you don’t appreciate the focus on busy mums - point noted.

Thank you for all your thoughts so far and keep them coming!"

helcrai Tue 24-Sep-13 14:57:38

Like the look of the frittata recipe, will prob try it this week as would make a nice cold dish for lunch next day (as I'm on a budget!).
TBH have only bought tender stem broccoli when it's been on offer as it is expensive compared to the traditional varieties. It is tastier though I think and has less wastage as the kids will eat the stems but won't on normal broccoli. Takes less time to cook which is always a bonus when starving kids are waiting & doesn't go that soggy.
Most unusual dish I have had it in is dipped in soft boiled eggs! Sounds gross but actually quite nice & good way to get some extra nutrition into the kids.

yeah 'jog on' springs to mind.

to protect the quality - mmm yes for sure - sprouting broccoli is lovely imo and tenderness relates to how fresh it is and picking the best at the right time etc.

please mn'ers remember we want veg to remain a natural, universally 'owned' necessity of life. not a trademarked, owned by nestle, commodified luxury.

Lomaamina Tue 24-Sep-13 16:03:59

The frittata looks nice, but there's no way I'd use so many eggs (and as a vegetarian I'd be ommiting the ham).

I like tenderstem when eating broccolli as a vegetable (rather than in soup), but the branding seems like I've strolled into some US magazine. It's a vegetable! How can you take ownership of it?

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 16:15:20

It can take many years to breed a new variety of plant, ensuring it remains stable in propagation, reliable in performance and resistant to disease. This costs more money than most people think. So why shouldn't a company trademark its product and make money out of it?

I bet most of the people complaining drive cars, use mobiles and other IT devices, buy flowering plants for their garden (many of which are now trademarked under Plants breeders rights) and all manner of other trademarked products. Many companies use profits from these 'luxury' plants to finance plant and seed breeding that benefits countries with less reliable climates than ours.

Genetic Modification is a whole other debate.

dappledawn Tue 24-Sep-13 16:26:43

I have bought tenderstem broccoli once or twice, and definitely love it - if it wasn't more expensive than the usual kind, I'd get it all the time. You can really taste the difference and it's much more tender.

The salmon and tenderstem pasta is delicious, and my favourite of these recipes. Very healthy too. The garlic breadcrumbs on top are a good idea, to add a different texture.

cornflakegirl Tue 24-Sep-13 16:59:57

mignonette - thanks for that post, I'd never really thought about those things before. (Still find the trademark symbols all over the place a bit weird though!)

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 17:06:21

I agree that if it is used to deny people in developing countries cheap access to the best hybrids then it would be wrong but equally companies have been making money from seeds and plants for years. We send all of our old phones/computers etc to the developing world for processing and they are all trademarked and we have deregulated trading on food commodities so that the harvest of goods such as rice, cacao, coffee, fruit, grain are all 'bet on' by Hedge fund traders in a manner that is grossly immoral to some.

There's so much more to get het up about I think.

sure so much more to get 'het up about' till you're in a position where nestle owns green veg and it's production or someone owns the international copyright for cabbage.

this is about trying to copyright and own the most basic food groups and corner farmers into even tighter corners than supermarkets have pushed them into.

do you really need your sprouting broccoli to be a miniscule tenderer than the alternative?

I've used this type of broccoli lots of times and agree its super quick and really delicious. The recipes are very appealing, I've certainly got lots more ideas about how to use it, especially the frittata idea as that's a once a week staple meal for us.

I've usually steamed or blanched it quickly and eaten it as a side dish. However I've also used it in vegetable lasagne as it makes a nice addition to the veg layer and keeps its texture.

Ok confession time now - I actually grow this on my allotment, so don't often buy it in! We know it as purple, red or white sprouting broccoli depending on variety. I'd choose it over the large heads of broccoli any day for flavour.

DoItTooJulia Tue 24-Sep-13 18:47:47

Disappointed that there are no veggie recipes.

We eat a lot of broccoli, our favourite is in a mornay. Simply steam the tender stem, melt 30g butter. Add 30g flour, mix and cook off for a minute. Add 500 ml milk and stir constantly until the sauce has thickened. Add cheese of your choice. Pour over the tenderstem, add pine nuts or toasted breadcrumbs and grill nail starting to brown. Mmmmmmm.

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 19:02:57

Plenty of plants that being species, are non copyright-able. This is about not being able to grow and propagate certain varieties in your own garden/field without permission or payment of royalties. This has been happening for decades now- Blooms of Bressingham were one of the first to trademark under the plant breeding rights.

it will not lead to control of all plants by a few.

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 19:04:35

The best way to eat tender vegetables is to harvest them young. Any vegetable grower can tell you that. Some varieties need maturation time but most green vegetables are better, cropped early. No need to only buy specially bred hybrids.

exactly - tender veg comes from being able to buy them at the right time rather than them having sat in supermarket warehouses to the point of about to rot.

had a chat with a guy who works in the vegetable supply chain to chefs and the like today and essentially it is virtually impossible to buy 'fresh' veg now. any quality product is 'owned' (via buying out the farmers etc after running their margins into the ground with price control) by supermarkets and then left to rot in storage before making it's way to the consumer.

instead of 'best before' controls we should be looking at limiting the time between harvesting and selling so we can actually buy fresh produce rather than on the turn crap.

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 20:04:53

Trouble is the distribution centres can be hundreds of miles from where the produce is harvested. Cauliflowers grown in Lincolnshire will be trucked hundreds of miles away, stored, sorted then trucked back to that Boston supermarket. Mad.

BetsyBidwell Tue 24-Sep-13 20:06:05

yup love tenderstem
Love it with pasta, philly ( or cream for the more sophistiqué) and with a smidge of mustard

poopoopoo Tue 24-Sep-13 20:10:14

I really need the quick recipes for during the week, so it was nice to see these simple ideas. My son is fussy but he loves broccoli, however never eats the stem. I have seen the long stemmed broccoli before, not necessarily Tenderstem R?? But I will definitely see if it might persuade my son to eat it, broccoli research!! the fritatta seems a good idea for the leftovers however. I think if I chopped up the stems finely I could get away with it in all kinds of dishes as long as it really is tender and soft.
As a kid I loved my mums Broccoli and stilton soup, this has made me think I might like to try and make it myself ( I am really hungry now ). I was cooking the usual conventional broccoli the other day and put it in a bit late, it did seem to take ages to cook; though I am a bit impatient and bad at timing the dinner! ;)

RubySparks Tue 24-Sep-13 21:22:50

Usually use normal broccolli as a side dish so would do the same with this to be able to taste the flavour! The frittata looks good though... And like others don't like the busy mums nonsense or the trademarking.

stephgr Wed 25-Sep-13 01:46:07

I really love Tenderstem because it seems less dense than regular broccoli and easier to digest. Plus my children prefer it because they think it looks nicer!
The recipes look great especially the frittata and the sesame lemon chicken. I hadn't thought about using tenderstem in pizzas but it would be a great way of getting the children to eat more of it.
I don't buy it as often as I'd like because it is relatively expensive.
My favourite recipe is a simple broccoli stirfry - I just heat some oil, onions and chopped ginger before adding tenderstem for a few minutes. It's even better if you add toasted sesame seeds

NowWhatIsit Wed 25-Sep-13 06:34:44

Really interesting discussion here.
I love it and have either stirred into pasta & pesto or chopped with peas, & asparagus and stirred into a green risotto - made with leeks, basil, mint.

JS06 Wed 25-Sep-13 08:25:16

I do like Tenderstem and use it a lot.

Enjoyed looking through the recipes by on FB and it's given me inspiration to use TS in the body of dishes rather than just as a vegetable.

We do love stir fries but it all seems to need sorting at the last minute so I will be taking Lisa's advice and cook chicken in oven then chop up when cooked rather than wait for all the cubes to cook in the wok!

One of my favourite ways to enjoy Tenderstem is to par-boil it for 3 mins, then keep it cool until ready for finishing. It's delicious quickly rolled round a hot wok with some soy sauce and some pine nuts.

BigGapMum Wed 25-Sep-13 10:26:55

I've never bought Tenderstem before. I've always been put off by the price. It's currently £8.75 a kilo in Tesco, compared with normal broccoli at £2 a kilo.

However we love sprouting broccoli, and when it's in season it grows prolificly at the allotment, so I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to use it in. So I was delighted with this thread.

The recipes on the website look good. I've never thought of putting broccoli on a pizza before, but will now! I will definitely use some of these recipes, but with homegrown sprouting broccoli not Tenderstem.
( Probably not what Tenderstem company want to hear. )

Babycarmen Wed 25-Sep-13 11:31:22

I LOVE Tenderstem broccoli. I stick in in a lemon chicken recipe I have, its one of my favourite vegetables.
The recipes look great, I might try out one or two next week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now