This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Talk to B&Q about their products and your experiences in store – £150 giftcard to be won NOW CLOSED

(107 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 27-Aug-13 14:01:07

As you may have seen recently, we're working with B&Q, who so far have helped lots of MNers revamp their unloved rooms and gardens. B&Q are very keen to get more of you trying out their products/services and going in-store to check out what they have to offer. You can also find loads of information and advice on revamping your rooms and gardens on the B&Q pages on MN.

- Have you visited a B&Q store recently? If so, which one did you visit and what did you think? If you haven't visited recently, what would convince you to go along?

- If you have been to a B&Q store recently, were the staff helpful? What did you think about the product range and presentation?

- What, if anything, do you think B&Q could do better to get more people in store?

- Have you or your DCs attended a You Can Do It workshop or Kids Can Do It class? If so, which one did you attend and what did you think of it?

- If you haven't been to a B&Q store recently, after looking at the B&Q pages on MN, which pieces of advice or info (if any) did you find the most useful? Has any of the info you've seen made you feel more confident about taking on a redecoration project of your own?

Everyone who posts a comment here will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 B&Q giftcard.

Please note that any comments you post here may appear on the B&Q pages on Mumsnet and potentially elsewhere.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

zimbamummy Thu 29-Aug-13 20:04:28

I recently went into my local store in Kent and two members of their staff were very helpful. Unfortunately they didn't stock what I wanted but were able to tell me where else I could try. They both seemed very knowledgable.
I tend to use b&q fairly regularly but often don't know exactly what I'm looking for or can't articulate myself very well so end up walking round in circles or have to ask for things like 'stretchy rope' (turns out I meant Bungee Cord). Perhaps some kind of glossary would be useful and examples of how they could be used in the home would give people like me ideas about what is possible and available.

neffi Thu 29-Aug-13 20:06:32

B&Q New Malden. A fabulous Eco friendly building. Absolutely huge but plentiful parking.

A good range of stock, helpful staff but the layout can be confusing.

SmallBee Thu 29-Aug-13 20:18:06

- Have you visited a B&Q store recently? If so, which one did you visit and what did you think?

We are visiting the Guildford one a lot at the moment, it is very clearly laid out and everything is easy to find.

- If you have been to a B&Q store recently, were the staff helpful? What did you think about the product range and presentation?

The staff were very helpful, we were looking at bathrooms and were asked if we needed any help right away, although we didn't require any. The product range was good as was the presentation.

- What, if anything, do you think B&Q could do better to get more people in store?
not really.

- Have you or your DCs attended a You Can Do It workshop or Kids Can Do It class? If so, which one did you attend and what did you think of it?

No & I've never actually heard of them before.

B&Q Strood. Awful. Tried to buy paint there whilst heavily (36weeks) pregnant and wrangling my toddler. Suddenly I really needed to wee. Manager lady wouldn't bend the rules for me, sadly you had no customer toilets. I couldn't hold it. I wet myself in the car park. I will never shop there again.

Clawdy Thu 29-Aug-13 22:42:53

What I like about the Stockport branch is the cheerful staff,and the fact that the most helpful and knowledgeable ones are all probably over fifty.

FourGates Thu 29-Aug-13 22:50:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DownstairsMixUp Fri 30-Aug-13 00:00:54

OK our B&Q in whitstable is rubbish, the aisles are badly disorganized, why are the light bulbs a 100000 aisles from the lighting section? Would it not make sense to be close to the lighting section? Also, it is a huge shop but you have a limited amount of homeware stuff like curtains, rugs, etc, really dissapointing to be honest but overall, I find the staff a lot more helpful there than at homebase and other similar stores.

Solo Fri 30-Aug-13 00:48:02

This week, I took my Mum to buy the necessary paint, paper and suchlike for her decorating venture next week. What struck me was the number of staff! these days, you seem to hunt around for a 'floor walker' and when you find one, they don't seem very helpful. B&Q are very much the opposite of this and I am very impressed!
I will be doing quite a bit to my house starting very soon and B&Q will be my place to go! smile

Solo Fri 30-Aug-13 00:53:11

So...in light of that post... blush

- Have you visited a B&Q store recently? If so, which one did you visit and what did you think? If you haven't visited recently, what would convince you to go along?

Yes, Dartford. I took Mum there because that branch is huge and I knew she'd have plenty of choice.

Very helpful. Always! Range is excellent though I was disappointed they'd run out of Satin paint.

Good special offers are always a crowd pleaser.

No. I was not aware of these. They sound helpful.

- If you haven't been to a B&Q store recently, after looking at the B&Q pages on MN, which pieces of advice or info (if any) did you find the most useful? Has any of the info you've seen made you feel more confident about taking on a redecoration project of your own?

littleoaktree Fri 30-Aug-13 01:25:59

Yes Greenwich and Old Kent Road stores. I don't like either of them particularly as I find the layout is confusing and they never seem to have the product where I expect it to be so end up trailing around for ages.

Staff generally I have found to be unhelpful and lacking in basic product/location knowledge. I'm usually shopping with two small children and it's really not helpful to be told that what I'm after is at the opp end of the Greenwich (v big) store only to get there (dragging bored preschooler and screaming baby in trolley) and be told oh no it's back where you were only to get back there and be told oh maybe we don't have any after all - and not even an apology. Also there never seems to be anyone available to help with some of the bigger items - eg at the weekend I wanted to buy a few bags of bark chips however I could only fit one in the trolley, couldn't have another trolley as couldn't manage on my own with 2 trollies and 2 children and several members of staff walked past me struggling and didn't offer to help. I gave up in the end.

There are some good products though - I love my garden bench and the dc love the playhouse I recently bought them.

Make the shopping experience more pleasant and practical for families - the range of products (and the MN involvement) suggests that they want to encourage more families but unhelpful staff, badly designed layout, no customer toilets, trolleys that are only suitable for one child (if you can find an unbroken one), poor stock control and products left around as trip hazards etc do not encourage me to visit more often.

No

Haven't looked - I'm reasonably confident anyway and do all the redecoration etc in our house.

chickensaladagain Fri 30-Aug-13 06:49:26

pennwood

I'm surprised you haven't got a trade card

In the castleford store I was told because I was buying a large quantity of paint to do my house prior to putting it in the market, I could just say I was property developing and get the discount on the trade card

wonkylegs Fri 30-Aug-13 08:59:57

Staff are often friendly but lacking especially at tills. The self service tills are rubbish but often the only option.
I will not if I can help it buy B&Q branded products, quality is so patchy. Often bits are missing or damaged and require at least second visit to sort out. (this spreads across all departments I'm afraid - garden furniture, kitchen taps, lights, decorating stuff, tools)
I've persevered as often it's the only choice if you need something now, and there is often an expensive branded option.
Convenient if you need something on the spur of the moment, expensive & hit & miss if you can plan in advance and get somewhere else.
It's a shame as som of your bathroom ranges look good but I wouldn't risk the quality and the hassle it would entail.
I hate your website - it's slow, and often inconsistent, I use it for reference and have never bought anything on it , because there are better, cheaper web based options.

AllSWornOut Fri 30-Aug-13 09:11:38

I go regularly to the one Coventry.

I like the way the store is laid out and the own brand products are great quality and value for money. It's our first stop when we need to do some diy.

TheWookiesWife Fri 30-Aug-13 09:34:28

Hi - I went to B&Q in Fleetsbrige Poole two weeks ago . We were decorating our daughters bedroom.
We knew what we wanted - a carpet from there, and a 'feature walls worth of paint' to match the carpet . So picked a paint colour sample from the vast range on show , and found a matching carpet ... Daughter and I headed off to get the paint made up . First off the lady at the paint desk was very patronising - treating me like I was retarded. ( I can't speak anymore due to a brain malfunction - so use a large text app to communicate ) We asked for one can of 2.5l of paint as it was only for a feature wall - and she tried to tell me I'd need 5l as it was a dark red ... I explained the wall is 2.7m long and 1.8m at its highest point and is pitched both sides - she was still insistent - when I asked her what the coverage was on the tin - and she told me - I pointed out that the 2.5l can would give me enough for more than double the recommended number of coats needed - but she was still insistent ! So obviously her maths skills were lacking ! ( and she thought I was stupid ?! Hello !!) She then told me that the sample we had chosen wasn't available... Just not on the computer as was new stock so couldn't make it - so we asked why have the samples out there if they are not available ?! She couldn't give an answer ... Eventually we found another sample that they could make up. Meanwhile my husband was asking for the carpet - they couldn't find it on their system - so after several mins of scratching their heads about it - someone eventually went to the warehouse and got the 3m that we asked for - so we line up with the paint and the carpet to pay .... No ticket on the carpet - just a sticker with the size and colour of it .... Another 7mins waiting for them to go and find out how much it was - despite us telling them ! Were we impressed - no ! Suggested improvements to be made :
Make sure what you offer for sale is on your system - if it's on display - let us buy it easily .
Make sure staff label products cut to size with all the correct information so that the till can process it .
Suggest to your staff they brush up on their maths if advising on paint coverage.
Also check that your staff are not patronising to people who are different !
Will I be going back ???.... The jury is still out on that one !!!

MadMonkeys Fri 30-Aug-13 10:23:17

I recently visited the store at Ventura Park, Tamworth. The product range was good, I found what I wanted. The store is spacious, plenty of room to get around, and clean. The staff were average - rather hassled as there weren't enough to man the tills and they had a long queue of annoyed customers to deal with.

The customer toilets are great, especially when visiting the store with children.

There was a sale on some of the garden plants - unfortunately there didn't seem to be enough space to display them so lots were heaped on top of each other in trolleys, they were squashed, stems broken and fit only for the compost heap - what a shame, they were good plants, just not sold by the end of the season.

There is plenty of parking at the store.

I hadn't heard of the courses, I don't know if this store runs them.

EauPea Fri 30-Aug-13 11:49:04

Recent visit Bristol Warehouse, Longwell Green, could not see ANY staff on shop floor, two tills open with huge queues even though it was Wednesday discount day.

B&Q have lost their edge, they have lost too many staff, service levels are dire, website does not offer whole range available.

Recently in Hartcliffe store, advertised diy class not running, manager and staff arguing who could "be arsed" to do it.

I prefer Homebase for all the above reasons, choose me to win the gift card and who knows maybe I will change my allegiance. wink

tinypumpkin Fri 30-Aug-13 16:30:34

No. I have not been for ages. I find them really dull (DIY generally!) so only really go if I have to buy some home diy stuff. I am not sure what would convince me to go along as there is not one that close to us and I do find them so boring. Necessity I suppose!

N/A as not been recently.

More in store courses would help if we were looking to do some DIY.

No. I didn't actually know that there were children's classes. This is a good idea although my children are too young I suspect at the moment.

THe project pages I thought were good actually and did install some confidence in my ability to do some DIy stuff. Motivation is another issue though and I am not sure how much B&Q could help with that.

littlemonkeychops Fri 30-Aug-13 17:08:52

We usually go to your Exeter store at Sowton. We like B&q, wider range and more spacious store than Wickes/Homebase.

It can often be hard to find what we're looking for or a staff member to help though, a big, clear storeplan when you first come in the door would be very helpful.

I've heard of the workshops on MN but never heard/seen anything about them instore.

And i second the poster above who said the self-service tills are annoying, they shout at you and don't shut up even when you are doing what they've asked you to do.

cherrybath Fri 30-Aug-13 17:56:30

Much prefer B&Q to Homebase and in the store where I generally shop (Chiswick/Brentford) the staff are very helpful, the parking is easy, there is a customer toilet and the queues are not too long.

Stock of lighting is particularly bad, very rarely can I find the item that I want. Have not found that the on-line facility for checking stock is much use - often when it says there is stock there isn't and vice versa. I don't particularly want to wait until the next day either for the Reserve and Collect - Argos can do it the same day, and some of their stores use the Shutl service which makes almost instant local deliveries for less than the price of a cab.

Its annoying that small items (such as packs of hardware or plumbing joints) are often put in the wrong bin. So that if I'm looking for a particular plumbing joint in a full bill with the right label, I find that there is not ONE in there. If I ferret through every bin in the row I sometimes find one or two.

I actually live in Bath and sadly although there are six stores that are listed as local (depending on the Bath postcode used) the nearest is more than 20 minutes drive away. So I have to suffer Homebase and their appalling service and queues.

hotbot Fri 30-Aug-13 18:10:24

Durham one I rubbish. Not enough stuff around to help, not just wine off by the way, and stuff aways out of stock. Extremely frustrating, avoid when I can.

hotbot Fri 30-Aug-13 18:11:26

Gah.. Staff around to help not just a one off .....tho I do feel like wine after slopping there.

hotbot Fri 30-Aug-13 18:12:41

Also no bags.. Riduculous when you are buying paint items

Tyranasaurus Fri 30-Aug-13 18:47:44

Several in Notts/Derbys in the last few months

plumbing range is poor and expensive- though I don't know if that would get you more mums in.

web site is awful

maybe more stuff for period property, e.g. wide skirting board and architrave, good repro tiles ets

No, and wouldn't be interested

Don't really feel like I need to be made more confident about DIY projects

Bubbles85 Fri 30-Aug-13 19:45:01

Yes - Nursling B&Q and I had a good experience.

It is a well stocked store and apart from one item I got all the things I went in for. Normally it's quite hard to find a member of staff free to help, but there were plenty free at this store.

More staff available to help at weekends, and that they are more knowledgeable about products that the store stocks.

No, I haven't attended one of these.

kh137 Fri 30-Aug-13 21:13:12

We usually go to B and Q Blackburn. The range of items there is good and we sometimes use the café.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now