This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED: Toes out? Sandals on? How do you prepare? Share tips and experiences with Clarks and you could win one of ten pairs of their gorgeous summer sandals!

(213 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-May-13 14:52:13

Hello

We've been asked by the team at Clarks to get you talking about the (sometimes) dreaded first time you get your sandals on for spring/ summer....if it's not here yet - it is coming!

Share your thoughts on this thread and you'll be entered into a prize draw where ten lucky winners will get a free pair of shoes.

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet? Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all? grin

What's your favourite type of sandal? Flat and relaxed, a height-boosting wedge or maybe a strappy number?

What date or occasion did you you/ will you do it? Does it need to be a special occasion?

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out? What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!)

If your feet never see the UK sun, why not?

And if they're out all year round and look ok how do you manage it?

~~~~~

Clarks have a bigger promotion running at the moment and there are chances to win some lovely prizes by checking out their comps on instagram and Facebook. On Instagram they want you to tweet a picture of your sandals with the hashtag #FreeYourFeet and you could win £500 worth of Mr & Mrs Smith vouchers and £150 worth of Clarks shoes, whilst on FB you could win one of five pairs of shoes simply by answering their sandal survey. Check out the links for full details and T&Cs.

In the meantime please do share your experiences on this thread.

Thanks and good luck.

MNHQ

Nehru Tue 14-May-13 22:38:05

i really DO look at peoples feet and EW EW EW at hard skin

scottishmummy Tue 14-May-13 22:39:56

cod behind you on escalator?what a fishmonger who interest in podiatry

Nehru Tue 14-May-13 22:43:34
Turnipvontrapp Tue 14-May-13 22:48:59

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet? Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all? grin

No its too cold!

What's your favourite type of sandal? Flat and relaxed, a height-boosting wedge or maybe a strappy number?

comfy for day and flat, wedges for evening or special occasion

What date or occasion did you you/ will you do it? Does it need to be a special occasion?
It needs to be warmer than it is now!

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out? What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!)

Paint my toenails

If your feet never see the UK sun, why not?

It never shines? They do but not as often as I'd like.

And if they're out all year round and look ok how do you manage it?
They aren't

Cherrybright Wed 15-May-13 07:38:30

I wear flip glops or sandles above 15oc. I have had to put them sll away again as its so cold and wet!
I usually bare all and go full sandle straight away then realise my feet need some tlc
I like flat and relaxed and strappy but I am not stable enough to wear wedges smile i like sandles casually and dressed up smile

Mehrida Wed 15-May-13 07:48:18

I'd live in sandals if I could. High wedges, low wedges, simple Havaianas, sparkly flip flops... The first hint of a dry day and they're on. I'm in scotland so there's no use waiting for sunshine. Lack of rain is enough.

I lived in sparkly flip flops when I was pregnant as my feet were so swollen. Got some funny looks at work in mid February snow right enough!

Only preparation is a wee moisturise and nice toenails and pluck the one stray hair off my right big toe There is just no excuse for bare/cracked/manky/uncut toenails.

LaVitaBellissima Wed 15-May-13 08:54:48

I get really dry skin on my feet as I like to walk barefoot, so before I get my feet out I go and have a medi- pedi they shave off all the dry skin, it is rather disgusting but you do get left with lovely soft skin. I like a dark or bright colour on my toe nails.

I like flat sandals in tan but also like wedges to wear in the Summer evenings with jeans

Pascha Wed 15-May-13 09:17:10

Can't remember the last time I wore sandals in Britain. Must be at least two years ago.

I will make sure my feet look clean and fresh, I might stretch to some polish if it ever warms up to the point I take my socks off.

I only brave sandals if it's above about 25C out, and dry.
I don't do anything with my feet, they look great as they are, and when at home I'm generally barefoot all summer, so my feet get more tan than my (blue, pasty) legs!

ArcticRoll Wed 15-May-13 09:29:16

My favourite type of sandals are good quality flip flops , have bought some Swedish wooden strap heels this year and usually alos wear wedges.
Has to be pretty hot otherwise I wear cotton canvas shoes or leather hi tops.
I neglect my feet all winter and before I expose my feet in sandals I have appointment with proper chiropodist who transforms my horny hooves into soft cushions!
I try to always wear bright nail varnish but sometimes it looks a bit grotty and chipped.

MarjorieAntrobus Wed 15-May-13 09:30:27

I live in a hot country and wear sandals every day. I keep my toenails clean and short. Sometimes I paint them.

I really don't want to buy into the idea that women's feet need a special "pamper ritual" before they are fit to be seen.

I seem to go from boots to fitflops , ( back in boots at the moment ! Brrrr )
I try and remember to put cream on my heels , and I like to have a pedicure .
I never have bare toenails , even in the winter with opaque tights on , I have painted toe nails
I love my fitflops , I think it's their 4th summer now , and have recently bought some black espadrille type wedges from Clarks to use this summer .
I want some of the pastel pumps , but can't get my size in Clarks ( apparently made in Spain , so sizes are different ? )

The weather is too abysmal usually for sandals in the UK so it is lack of opportunity to wear them, but I do wear them for a good six weeks when in Italy. Even though my feet are covered most of the time, I do look after my feet. After a bath I use my electric rough skin remover on my feet, then I massage in peppermint foot cream and put socks on. In the Winter, I leave the socks on in bed and put extra cream on, which makes my feet nice and soft. I always have nail polish on my toes, my feet don't look finished or 'sandal-ready' without. I like sandals to look good, not frumpy, but comfortable though as I walk a lot. I am flat-footed so completely flat are a no-no. Something with a wide, low wedge is good for walking and always leather.

Piemother Wed 15-May-13 09:49:50

I don't wait for simmer I swim all the time so my feet are out.

Ped egg and scholl cracked heel cream. Pedicure about every 3 weeks but I can do it myself as good as a salon. Strong bright colours usually but the taupe polish that was free with Marie Claire looks v chic.
I wear Birkenstocks, flip flops and my favourite sandals are v minimal single strap types. I am currently favouring some flat Zara sandals with a single t bar strap that's leopard print. It's much more understated than it sounds!

Rosehassometoes Wed 15-May-13 09:50:37

I favour flat sandals with thin straps as I'm tall but have slim ankles (thick straps don't look right).

However, I must find some with a supportive sole (if poss) as I ended up with cracked heels last summer.

Lazy/busy tip- buy a new polish esp for toes and stick to it eg coral or red. Then you can do quick touch ups rather than always taking old plush off and starting again!

Willemdefoeismine Wed 15-May-13 10:08:16

I love wearing sandals in the summer but only if I can find pretty enough ones in which I can do lots of walking without getting blisters and rubbed bits on my heels/toes....

I tend to do the change from shoes to sandals slowly. I will ensure that I get my legs out in the sunshine for a few outings before I venture out in public in sandals - just to take off the white 'glare'! I also treat my feet with loads of body lotion slapped on under socks for over-night moisturising.

I do find that the secret to presentable summer sandalicious feet is regular care and attention and freshly applied nail varnish in cheery colours. Also think that "a change is as good as a rest" as far as footwear is concerned and that to prevent unsightly blisters and sore bits one needs to rotate sandals/summer shoes around, once one has 'worn them in' in the house.

I love wearing sandals. My favourite pair are a really simple design from Clarks, they've lasted for yonks and go with everything.

Before I show my feet to the world, I do beautify them, starting with a pedi egg, then good scrub with exfoliating cream, trim my nails down, and then put on a dark red polish.

I really don't like dry skin/cracked heels showing in public - it makes me feel a bit icky - I must be of a sensitive disposition. But can anyone tell me why these people are always at eye height when I'm going up escalators?

dahville Wed 15-May-13 10:14:24

I can't stand dry skin so I try to keep a regular routine all year long of exfoliating and moisturising. I'm terrible applying nail polish so I try to get a few pedis in spring summer when I want a splash of colour.

I prefer flat sandals because I need to be able to run after my 20 month old! Plus I'm 8 months + pregnant and heels are a serious no for me right now!

thebestpossibletaste Wed 15-May-13 10:41:06

When the weather improves I live in Birkenstock or similar.

I always wear nail varnish in the summer, file my heels at least once a week and rub in foot cream every night when I go to bed.

I've just discovered M&S's new open toe tights, as I'm going to a wedding this weekend and it's too cold for bare legs, hoping they'll look good with sandals.

LippyDiDooDah Wed 15-May-13 10:45:49

I try and keep my feet in good condition all year round by regularly removing hard skin and rubbing cream into them (just cheapy E45 tbh) but when I first bear my feet to the public they have to be freshly painted. The debut this year was last weekend but as my nail polish was a bit flaking off and I wanted to give my toenails a breather from polish I removed it and just had them clean - fortunately I was just seeing my family and so no one noticed I hadn't painted them but I'm on a hen do this weekend so they'll get polished up with gems etc so I'll start the season with a bang grin

CheeryCherry Wed 15-May-13 10:57:46

I am diabetic so take care of my feet all year round. After a bath or shower I slap a ton of body butter/thick moisturiser in them. I usually have my toenails painted all year round too, as I go swimming with my job on a regular basis. So I dont really need to do anything different if/when summer arrives. I did have a flip flop day last week, and another on Monday (though they were a bit cold...) U don't have sandals, just a variety of fit-flop type flip flops.

My poor old feet are quite neglected. I value comfort over style so my summer shoes of choice are either Birkenstocks or Havanas. I'll slap a bit of flexitol on for a few days to remove hard skin, a slap dash coat of polish and then just go for it!

BellaVida Wed 15-May-13 11:23:35

My feet haven't been out of my boots yet this year! I have started to prepare my feet for the grand occasion when they can go into sandals though.

I have a little whizzy gadget which files of dead skin. Nails are cut and shaped. When it really looks like summer is finally here, or we go on holiday (whichever comes first!), I will be overnight moisturizing and painting my toenails.

As I am constantly on the go running around with my rather large brood, my sandals have to be comfortable and stay on if I have to break into a run! My favourite 'go with anything' sandals are some medium wedge tan leather strappy buckle fastening ones, funnily enough from Clarks. I seem to always be in there getting one or the other measured up for new shoes, so I tend to have a browse around.

I do like sandals which go with lots of outfits, especially as I don't tend to get much of a look in when it comes to suitcase space and holidays. So sandals which can be used from day to evening are also handy.

spooktrain Wed 15-May-13 11:41:13

Definitely a two-step process. I have a chunky pair of mules (Clarks actually, great sale purchase about 4 years ago) to do The Transition. Toes out when the weather permits and I have got round to varnishing.
Heel grating daily followed by cream once my feet become a visible part of my body; otherwise, out of sight, out of mind.
This year I want red or yellow wedge sandals and turquoise nails.

TisILeclerc Wed 15-May-13 11:53:21

I only ever buy Clarks sandals! Apart from my Birkenstocks... In fact 90% of my shoes and boots are Clarks, they are an investment.

Re preparation, I always have painted toenails, even in winter. It just makes me feel better - I guess it's the same as some people feel about matching underwear. I've discovered a wonderful cream though - Flexitol Heel Balm - as I get unsightly and painful splits and cracks on my heels and the side of my big toes. This cream has totally solved it and my feet look beautiful (sunsinepanda you sound like me!)

So, a little application of that plus a lovely nail colour (currently sporting Chanel's Pirate, a lovely bright red) makes my feet look gorgeous.

Sandals-wise, I love all sorts. I love a good solid flat to walk to school in, but I adore wedges currently and I really like colours. I'm much more likely to wear a fairly monochrome wardrobe but then funk it up with colourful shoes. Clarks range this year will be great for that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now