Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED Tell Clarks about your child's first steps and be in with a chance of winning a £100 voucher

(251 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 15:32:42

Clarks have just released their latest First Shoes range here and to coincide they would love to hear about your DCs first steps.

So what do you remember about your child(ren)s first attempts to negotiate the world on two feet?

~ How old were they?

~ Do you remember where you were at the time?

~ Did they take time to adjust, or were they keen to get a move on?

~ How did it feel? Were you overjoyed or just slightly terrified at how quickly they were growing up and what they could now get up to!?

Everyone who shares their thoughts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw, where one MNer will win a £100 Clarks voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

AmandinePoulain Wed 20-Mar-13 19:29:12

Dd1 was 11 months when she took a couple of steps, we were at home with a friend over whose dd of the same age was a really early walker and I think she just thought "well, perhaps I'll try that!". It took her weeks to build up her confidence though, she certainly wasn't a confident walker by her first birthday.

Dd2 is only 7mo so a long way off walking yet. I don't think she'll be another early one though - she shows no interest in moving herself anywhere, she hasn't even tried to roll over yet! She's more of a watcher than a mover I think. I'm enjoying having a more chilled out one this time round especially as it puts off the whole baby proofing malarkey wink

insertsomethingwitty Wed 20-Mar-13 19:30:13

DD1 was about 16 months when she started walking we were thrilled and were very proud of her first shoes picture from Clarks.
DD2 was a late starter at 23 months, again thrilled as was beginning to think it would never happen.
DD3 was about 13 months and she is an absolute speed demon and has barely sat her bum down since.

ouryve Wed 20-Mar-13 19:45:25

Both of mine made a slow start.

DS1 was cruising the furniture at 7 months, but didn't take his first steps until just after his first birthday. He fell over and didn't even try again until 15 months.

DS2 was very late - 21 months before he finally made the lunge from one sofa to another at my parents' house. It took a long time for him to become steady. He ended up having to wear piedro boots and arch supports and he was 5 before he could manage the 1km each way walk to school and back every day.

AllSWornOut Wed 20-Mar-13 19:46:32

oops that's lovely.

DS took his first steps at 10 months and never looked back. He stayed pretty wobbly for quite a while because soon as he started walking he started running.

I was overjoyed when he started walking as it felt like the beginning of the end of the deathly dull baby phase.

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Wed 20-Mar-13 19:51:11

Must admit to not encouraging ds now 18mths to starting walking, with dd as well it was much easier to him him stay where he was put. But now it's do much fun

TotallyEasterEggFlipped Wed 20-Mar-13 19:53:47

DD was about 16 months I think. She ran around with her little trolley or holding onto a finger or two but refused to let go until she was entirely confident. I don't think I ever saw her fall or stumble when she was learning to walk. (that came later, trying to run outside!). The first time she walked without holding on she walked right across the living room at my parents house to climb up onto the sofa.

SirBoobAlot Wed 20-Mar-13 20:01:50

DS was walking holding onto hands from seven months, was not bothered about crawling until about ten months old because he was rather speedy when assisted.

First interdependent steps, he was 14 months old, we had a friend and her little boy over, who is a few weeks older. Friend's little boy was walking around quite happily already. DS watched him for a few minutes, then just walked after him! grin Then he crawled again for a few days, until we had a group of friends over, all their children were walking. The little ones trundled off to DS's bedroom to play, DS was crawling after them, then just seemed to go, "Oh sod it, they're all so much quicker!", got up, and that was it.

He's always been pretty steady, even from when he was seven months and holding onto fingers.

I was so pleased when he started walking, as he had been ready to for a while physically, was just cautious. And it was lovely that a friend was here to see it as I'm a single mum!

Ds was 13 and a half months.

He'd dragged himself round in an awkward looking comando crawl from 18 weeks so I was fairly used to him getting into mischief early on. I always felt like I missed out on the tiny baby stage as he was tall (always seemed a clothing size ahead) and was touring the room at a fair pace on his tummy by 6 months.

He wasn't an early walker though and to be honest he didn't seem to like it if I tried to get him to weight bear. By about 11 months he would pull himself up on the odd occaision but never really did the cruising thing. By then he'd moved to a traditional crawl and was like a rocket.

One day he was sat watching cbeebies and he just stood from sitting, took four steps towards the tv and then sat down again. He didn't try again for a couple of days and I started to wonder if I'd imagined it. grin

But another couple of days and he never looked back so it was off to Clarks for the obligatory first shoes polaroid!

abbyfromoz Wed 20-Mar-13 20:02:42

DD was 9 months and 8 days old. We were at a friend's house who had a newborn baby boy. We said 'come and see the bubba!' And up she got- walked over like she was a professional... Never crawled again! Since that day it has been shoes shoes shoes! Emalda like mummy!

Aww Oops I just had a little blub at yours!

ThePskettiIncident Wed 20-Mar-13 20:15:20

Ds took his first steps at 14 months. He ran, launching himself at me. It was lovely. For days he just wobbled to his feet and ran at me into a big cuddle.

Elkieb Wed 20-Mar-13 20:22:26

My son is 14 months old and took his first steps this week, it made us so proud as we've been waiting a while for it to happen. We've just moved and I've been a bit sad that we have left our sons first home, but this monumental moment has made me feel like important moments can happen here too.

survivingwinter Wed 20-Mar-13 20:45:00

DD was 20 months old when she started walking. She was born with mild Cerebral Palsy so I can't even describe the elation when she finally took her first steps grin

I remember vividly that she walked over to me to bring me a 'cup of tea' she'd made with her new tea set!

Learning to walk has been a long hard slog for her and she's now finally steady on her feet age 6. She could walk before she could balance so there were a lot of hairy moments shock Good shoes have been essential for her since she began to walk as she needs lots of ankle support but there's no stopping her now!!

bluebump Wed 20-Mar-13 20:48:56

My DS was 15 months when he walked properly. He had been building up to it for months it felt like, we'd stopped trying to persuade him to do it. In the end the reverse psychology worked and one day he just stood up in the middle of the room, coughed to get our attention and went for it! We were taking videos of him doing it and he gladly stood still and on cue would dash across the room.

I thought him starting to walk was great, it certainly stopped him climbing so much!

sunshine401 Wed 20-Mar-13 20:55:38

First steps of my DD was on the day of her 1st birthday a great moment it will never be forgotten smile

StillStuck Wed 20-Mar-13 20:57:45

DS took his first independent steps at 10 months at my parents house, just a few between a chair and a ride on toy that he really really wanted to get to. I was shocked but he didn't even realise what he had done he was so excited by the toy! He didn't try again until just before his first birthday, when he teeteered about 8 steps towards me and then just kept trying all afternoon, I was really excited for him. We took a video that afternoon and it is lovely watching his wobbling steps with arms stretched out in front of him.

I was also pleased as he had been wanting to walk everywhere but holding both my hands which gets quite uncomfortable after a while!

Manchesterhistorygirl Wed 20-Mar-13 21:15:08

Ds1 didn't walk until he was 14mo and it was a really slow gradual process to get there in many ways. He was cruising for ages but once he let go that was it he was off.

Ds2 was 1yr 3weeks and 1day exactly. Really easy to remember because it was the day after Boxing Day at his aunts house. There were 10 cousins, including him, all older and he decided he'd have a go at this walking malarkey and he just got up and went for it!

Iggly Wed 20-Mar-13 21:19:54

Ds took his first steps at 10 months. He was pushing his trolley along and just let go and took a step unaided. Husband and I were both there and looked each other in shock but felt very excited. After that, ds hurled himself around, taking 1-2-3 steps as often as he could every day. We've got great video of him wobbling around corners trying to get as many steps in as possible, before falling over. We got him some shoes pretty quickly after that as he wanted to be on the go.

Contrast that with DD who refused to walk unless holding our hands for a couple of months. She was a lot more cautious, waiting until she was nearly 12 months before taking the tiniest step towards me (then I had to hold her hands so she could charge about again).

Me23 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:22:34

Both my dd and ds were 16 months old when they took their first steps, it then took a few weeks until they walked confidently. I remember people always asking are they walking yet! I was beginning to get worried when my 1st was taking so long to start walking. With my ds I knew it can take a while to learn so I wasn't as anxious.

MissRee Wed 20-Mar-13 21:23:57

DD was exactly 12 months when she took her first steps. She literally went from those first tentative steps to running everywhere in the space of a week!

DewDr0p Wed 20-Mar-13 21:28:51

Ds walked for the first time at 19 months on the beach in wellies! I had an inkling he was ready so I just let go of his hand and kept backing away and he kept stepping towards me - 21 steps in all! After that there was no stopping him. (He had been refusing for weeks at home - what a little fraud grin )

JollyYellowGiant Wed 20-Mar-13 21:29:09

DS was just shy of 10 months when he took his first steps. It took him ages to get going though and he wasn't walking confidently until around 12 months.

We were at home at the time.

Although it was exciting, it meant another round of babyproofing had to be done as he could now reach higher dangers!

Iggity Wed 20-Mar-13 21:30:58

~ How old were they? 15.5 months

~ Do you remember where you were at the time? Sitting on the edge of the bath. DS came walking into the bathroom carrying a nappy sack!

~ Did they take time to adjust, or were they keen to get a move on? Once he started, he never stopped!

~ How did it feel? Were you overjoyed or just slightly terrified at how quickly they were growing up and what they could now get up to!? Overjoyed and so pleased. He took us by surprise.

owl13 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:30:59

DD1 was 16 months. She toddled a few steps into my arms in the kitchen. The following weeks I remember very fondly, she was so smiley, and IIRC she started saying a couple of new words at around the same time.

About to go through it all again with DD2 now, so need to go shoe-shopping. I really wish there was more choice in colours other than pink and purple.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 20-Mar-13 21:32:41

DD1 walked early having hardly crawled. She was 10 months and stood by pulling herself up on the coffee table. Then she turned, took three steps and burst into tears! grin She was devastated! And also marooned! She sat down again and after that she was off.

DD2...she walked later....12 months and after commando crawling for some time, began pulling herself up on the furniture and using all the furniture in the room to navigate around. Her first unaided steps were at Christmas when she spotted an open tin of Roses chocolates....she practically ran towards them forgetting to use the furniture. Her name is Rose ironically!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now