This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Talk to Aldi about shopping for Christmas bargains and be in with a chance of winning a £100 voucher

(275 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 06-Nov-12 16:43:55

Aldi are gearing up for Christmas with loads of bargains on their website - they'd love Mumsnetters to check out what's on offer then come back to this thread and give their feedback. Please visit the website here.

Are you an Aldi shopper already? If so, are you planning to do your full Xmas shop there, or will you pick up specific bits and pieces from there? What's the best bargain you've ever picked up from Aldi?

If you've never shopped at Aldi before, why? Is there anything on the website that has convinced you to give it a go?

Also, Aldi would love to hear your top tips on how to bag a Christmas bargain, or any other genius money-saving tips you have, so please do share here.

Everyone who posts their comments on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 voucher to spend in store.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Thu 15-Nov-12 21:55:51

i think about £2.85 of that goes to the govt in tax, so you're drinking a fourteen pence wine there... slainte!

Merrylegs Thu 15-Nov-12 19:04:43

Oh well done. Can I just say - I have just opened the Aldi wine (Chardonnay. £2.99 a bottle.) Is v disappointing. However, now it is open I feel obliged to plough on.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Thu 15-Nov-12 13:02:16

Yay! And such an appropriate name!

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 15-Nov-12 11:37:27

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread - feeling very festive now! We've done the prize draw and the winner of the £100 voucher to spend at an Aldi store is...

NigellaPleaseComeDineWithMe - congratulations! I'll PM you to get your details.

My nearest store is 10 miles away so I only go to it if passing, and not very often.

I find the wine very good value.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 13-Nov-12 16:09:15

Are you an Aldi shopper already? If so, are you planning to do your full Xmas shop there, or will you pick up specific bits and pieces from there? What's the best bargain you've ever picked up from Aldi?

Yes, I love Aldi. The only thing that stops me shopping there every week is the distance between where I live and my local store. This issue will soon be resolved though as my nearest town has one being built now. I will do the bulk of my Christmas shop there if it's open in time. I frequently pick up cycling and running gear from Aldi as the quality is good, the price is excellent and it fits well.

If you've never shopped at Aldi before, why? Is there anything on the website that has convinced you to give it a go?

I first shopped there when money was really tight. I was embarrassed at first until I pulled into the car park and saw brand new, high end marque cars in the car park and I realised that being money savvy does not make you an object of pity.

Also, Aldi would love to hear your top tips on how to bag a Christmas bargain, or any other genius money-saving tips you have, so please do share here.

Start early, put a bit by every week, set a budget and stick to it.

SamiadsTiredMummy Tue 13-Nov-12 15:59:47

Stupid phone, refreshed page and reposted,apologies.

SamiadsTiredMummy Tue 13-Nov-12 15:53:54

I absolutely LOVE Aldi! I started shopping there about 6 months ago following family members' recommendations and I just love it. I find it the least stressful of supermarkets and save so much money, a huge plus whilst on maternity leave.

I have to agree with a few others in that my biggest bargain definitely has to be the nappies, brilliant quality and so comparatively cheap. From DS's reaction the Aldi's own 10month+ baby food is obviously very tasty for when we're out and about, shame there isn't a bigger range to chose from!

I can't fault anything I've bought from Aldi, I've been impressed with everything, from the fizzy orange to the cereals, the chicken breasts, chorizo, I could go on! I tell everyone I know how great it is! (I'm looking forward to sampling the festive treats from what others are saying!)

SamiadsTiredMummy Tue 13-Nov-12 15:27:09

I absolutely LOVE Aldi! I started shopping there about 6 months ago following family members' recommendations and I just love it. I find it the least stressful of supermarkets and save so much money, a huge plus whilst on maternity leave.

I have to agree with a few others in that my biggest bargain definitely has to be the nappies, brilliant quality and so comparatively cheap. From DS's reaction the Aldi's own 10month+ baby food is obviously very tasty for when we're out and about, shame there isn't a bigger range to chose from!

I can't fault anything I've bought from Aldi, I've been impressed with everything, from the fizzy orange to the cereals, the chicken breasts, chorizo, I could go on! I tell everyone I know how great it is! (I'm looking forward to sampling the festive treats from what others are saying!)

NotMostPeople Tue 13-Nov-12 14:19:24

I started shopping in Aldi about a year ago when a new one opened, origi ally my DH was anti and thought the quality would be poor but he has come around.

One of my regular bargains is the breaded ham in a pack for 1.70 ish and the pink lady apples these are things I buy every week. In the past I bought everything for Christmas from Waitrose or Sainaburys online but I'm going to give Aldi a go this year. If only there was an online service, as my only concern is how busy it might be during Christmas week.

I did an Aldi shop last night it took half an hour, i parked wihin a few feet and it cost me about £40 and will last until the beginning of next week for a family of five big eaters. Honestly I really think its an excellent shop.

I do top up at Sainsburys for things like Tasimo coffee pods.

In terms of bargains at Christmas I start looking around in October so I know what the prices are from shop to shop.

shriekingnora Tue 13-Nov-12 14:12:35

To be honest, that's three things you can easily live without.

Merrylegs Tue 13-Nov-12 14:01:23

ikea - another shop I have never ever visited. (Have also never seen a James Bond film or been to a football match. I should start a 'to do' list).

Rattitude Tue 13-Nov-12 13:02:08

I know it is a bit of a random comment but I just thought I would use this thread as an opportunity to give some general feedback. grin

Rattitude Tue 13-Nov-12 13:01:01

I got a small bunch of Aldi carnations a couple of weeks ago and apart from one stem which flowered, the others remained as buds. Very disappointing!

Blatherskite Tue 13-Nov-12 11:13:12

I should probably point out that I don't do this - but I should!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Blatherskite Tue 13-Nov-12 11:11:38

What you need to do is plan in advance.

Get a trolley (using your trolley token keyring) and pre-line it with a couple of those humongous Aldi re-usable bags. Shop into the bags. Unload onto the checkout and you're already ready to re-pack as your shopping comes hurtling through the tills.

Lift bags into car. Done smile

shriekingnora Tue 13-Nov-12 11:09:51

It's probably the only shop that I don't mind taking DS2 into for that very reason, Aitch!

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Tue 13-Nov-12 11:04:48

that's the logic of the ikea bags as well, merrylegs. toss 'em straight in, perhaps one bag for tins etc the other for softer stuff, then into the car and home. easier to unpack as well, let's be honest.

i got into lidl/aldi when the kids were wee and we had basically fifteen mins to do the 'big stuff' shop before there was a meltdown.

shriekingnora Tue 13-Nov-12 10:51:08

And so quick. Although I did burst the yoghurts the other day as I threw everything in at pace...

Merrylegs Tue 13-Nov-12 10:43:04

yy. My mum has one of those coin key rings (as well as resealable tops for her milk bottles. I must embrace my inner mum.)

unpack straight to the boot - is so obvious and yet so brilliant.

Next time they ask me 'do you want any help with your packing' I shall say no no, I am unpacking to the boot.

(Well, actually they won't ask me that because I will be at Aldi.)

shriekingnora Tue 13-Nov-12 10:04:33

Merrylegs - one of those key rings with a coin thing on is essential. And a couple of big boxes in the boot of the car - unpack straight into boot. Your conversation with the checkout woman is pretty much identical to the one I had when I first went!

I cannot get over the speed of shopping somewhere that inly has one or two varieties of everything. I can do a week's shop in 20 minutes.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 13-Nov-12 09:59:31

LOL at Merry, "I couldnt care less what you bought, love".

Big four please take note!.

Plus no car washing service in the car park, the only chuggers are poppy ones, no one waiting to ask if you're happy with your electric supplier. Bliss.

PostBellumBugsy Tue 13-Nov-12 09:59:00

Are you an Aldi shopper already?
Yes, I often shop in Aldi.

If so, are you planning to do your full Xmas shop there, or will you pick up specific bits and pieces from there?
No, I won't do my full Christmas shop at Aldi. I rarely do a full shop there, but use it to supplement my main shop.

What's the best bargain you've ever picked up from Aldi?
MBT style trainers & ski-wear for the DCs.

I bag most of my Christmas bargains online or in the sales just after Christmas I tend to be on the look out all year for good teacher presents & small gifts for friends. With regard to shopping, my money saving tip would be to always check the price per kilo or per item when comparing items. Sometimes, what appears to be on special offer, is not as competitively priced as a normal item, when you check the weight or item price.

Merrylegs Tue 13-Nov-12 09:53:31

I went! For the first time! On Sunday!

Inspired by this thread.

It was very exciting. Well, actually, it wasn't all that exciting.

It's very QUIET in there, isn't it? No 'atmosphere'. No messages bing-bonging over the PA every two minutes, no bright lights. No musak. It felt v East European.

I bought 71 items and paid £81.

My most expensive thing I bought was £2.99. (a bottle of wine. The kids said - 'see mum, your drinking habit is costing this family').

I haven't tried the wine yet so I don't know if it is palatable as well as bargainable but if it is nice I think I will stock up on Xmas drinks there as everything was well cheap.

Also cheap was frozen stuff (like a big pack of chicken drumsticks for £1.89.). Plus the cosmetics and shampoo and stuff.

Parking was grim - good job I had read MegB's advice about inputting the car reg. When I came out there were parking attendants hovering around some hapless car, waiting to swoop when the hour and a half had run out.

Also you had to put a pound in the trolley. My worst thing.

The best bit was at the checkout when the lady was whizzing my stuff along the belt and practically throwing my stuff into the trolley as I was trying to pack. She gave me a pitying look and said 'you've never been to an Aldi before have you?"

'Is it that obvious?" I asked.

"Yes, because you're not meant to pack as you go. You have to pile everything in your trolley and repack it over there. It's how we keep the costs down -you can't dawdle at the checkout.'

'What, aren't you going to comment on what I've bought like they do at Sainsbury's?" I asked.

'I couldn't care less what you bought, love'

Marvellous.

Gracelo Tue 13-Nov-12 09:28:56

I'm not buying any Christmas food this year at all because we are going home for Christmas but I would normally stock up on olives and continental meats and things like that. dd would eat an entire pack of Aldi olives in under 5 min if I'd let her.
I love Aldi for all the random stuff. I found beremeal biscuits from the Shetlands there the other day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now