This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Talk to Aldi about shopping for Christmas bargains and be in with a chance of winning a £100 voucher

(275 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 06-Nov-12 16:43:55

Aldi are gearing up for Christmas with loads of bargains on their website - they'd love Mumsnetters to check out what's on offer then come back to this thread and give their feedback. Please visit the website here.

Are you an Aldi shopper already? If so, are you planning to do your full Xmas shop there, or will you pick up specific bits and pieces from there? What's the best bargain you've ever picked up from Aldi?

If you've never shopped at Aldi before, why? Is there anything on the website that has convinced you to give it a go?

Also, Aldi would love to hear your top tips on how to bag a Christmas bargain, or any other genius money-saving tips you have, so please do share here.

Everyone who posts their comments on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 voucher to spend in store.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

gazzalw Tue 06-Nov-12 18:42:23

I find it really frustrating because everyone is always extolling the virtues of Aldi but we don't have one very close to us at all - I think Elephant and Castle area is nearest and as that's a good 1/2 hr Tube journey or an hour by bus - really not very feasible. So come on Aldi open more branches in SW London - we're not all rich as Midas you know!

So without an Aldi close by we default to Lidl - not for all of our shopping as we view it dangerously as more of a deli for interesting international cuisine rather than every day basics.....

Everyone says the evenings are the times to find the bargains in the supermarkets but we don't have a car and wouldn't really be happy to be shopping after dark at this time of the year...so that just about rules us out of extreme bargain hunting foodwise...although might be tempted to do it en route home from work as Christmas approaches....

I'm amazed about the baked beans - DW is a money saver par extraordinaire but there are certain things she just won't compromise on - Heinz Baked Beans being one of those things....

ksld Tue 06-Nov-12 18:45:01

Never been to an Aldi. Just looked for my nearest store and it's over 10 miles away and not near any other shops I would need to go too. Can't imagine making a special trip over there for anything I've seen on the website. Would make a special trip for something I particularly needed eg the camping mats mentioned earlier. Most of the Christmas stuff I can get elsewhere.

My biggest Christmas bargains are picked up in the January sales - every year I get some more house/tree decorations reduced in Tesco and Sainsburys. If you go at the right time some of them are 70% off. Always try to get cards and wrapping paper too but missed them last year.

I LOVE Aldi. The chocolate is better than Lindt. The face cream is better than Olay. The, erm, cheese is better than other cheese <tails off>

But I do, I love it. Which is why I am BAFFLED as to why my nearest town has TWO Lidls, and another within ten miles and no Aldi within a 1.5 hour drive. I have to place orders with people when they pass one.

That's what's stopping me from shopping at Aldi. Do sort it out please and thanks, in time for Christmas chocolate and wine would be great.

CMOTDibbler Tue 06-Nov-12 18:48:47

I'm not an Aldi shopper - it just doesn't work for me. That said, I might pop in for some german treats as the prices look good, and its not something I can get elsewhere

41notTrendy Tue 06-Nov-12 18:49:10

Just discovered Aldi. Put some Florentines in so glad to know they are good! Will def go back. It's not close so will stick up on Moser Roth choc and biscuits, loved it. The deli stuff we liked, ham and cheese. Tinned toms were good. Checkout speed amazing. I saved £20 by doing a shop at Aldi. I usually get all our meat from local butchers, but was tempted in Aldi by the meatballs, bacon lardons and free range chicken so thinking about it, I also saved the £10-£15 I usually spend at the butcher.
Best money saving tip? Plan! Everything, even treats and nibbles. And use vouchers, loyalty points etc. We save ours up for this time of year and as I also like some branded stuff in I use them for that.

cashmere Tue 06-Nov-12 18:49:26

I pop into Aldi if I happen to be working near there.
I always get mince pies, stollen and prosecco there at Christmas-yum!
Will also try the Florentines and Hazlenut Panettone this year.

I've never cooked a turkey but will be 1st year at home. The frozen turkey looks a good price.
My top tip would be to check sell by dates of fridge items so you don't buy too much/forget what you have.

41notTrendy Tue 06-Nov-12 18:50:30

*stock up on....
Ooh, the stollen bites will be going in and I might try the gammon too.

RarelyUnreasonable Tue 06-Nov-12 18:51:33

Are you an Aldi shopper already? If so, are you planning to do your full Xmas shop there, or will you pick up specific bits and pieces from there? What's the best bargain you've ever picked up from Aldi?

I shop there every so often, and will probably pick up gingerbread at Xmas time. No specific bargains - a weekly shop, I guess.

If you've never shopped at Aldi before, why? Is there anything on the website that has convinced you to give it a go? n/a

Also, Aldi would love to hear your top tips on how to bag a Christmas bargain, or any other genius money-saving tips you have, so please do share here.

Write lists and be organised! Save a tenner a month all year.

gazzalw Tue 06-Nov-12 18:52:36

Part Two as I failed to review the Aldi products for Christmas....They look quite similar to Lidl products and if there was one close by I'm sure we would check the things out but there's not.....

Aldi, could you not to online orders?

I live Aldi and do all my food shopping there now. Top tip the orangeade makes fanta look like a sad cheap copy!!

For christmas i decide what i am buying and shop around to find the best price and also try to use cashback sites when i can. Stocking chocolates all come from Aldi, they are lovely!

Love Aldi, i don't live there well not quite

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Tue 06-Nov-12 18:53:59

actually, the single best thing about Aldi in Scotland is the catchphrase 'give it Aldi'. should really be 'gie it', of course, but still, it makes me laugh every time i see it. grin

I'm thinking about doing food hampers for both DHs parents and my own this year and I have found some lovely items in Aldismile I did a small one last year and bought most of the gingerbread and stollen/fruity breads from Aldi.

I tend to do a mixed shop between Tesco, Aldi and on occasion Asda. I have had some great bargains from Aldi but don't use it exclusively due to the distance. Tescos is behind my house, Aldi and Asda are too far to walk to...

FreddieMercuryforQueen Tue 06-Nov-12 18:55:20

I get my weekly shop at Aldi and I absolutely love it. I reckon I save a good 20 quid a week by doing so and the need to go to other shops has reduced since Aldi started doing brands, so my diet coke fix can be met at Aldi instead. My favourite thing at Aldi right now is their butter fudge, I'm on 2 boxes per week blush it's the most amazing crumbly fudge I've ever eaten. I get withdrawals when I have none left. Seriously. I'm not sure how I'll cope when your Christmas stuff goes. Because I can't really buy 100 or so boxes to keep me going throughout the year. Can I?

Tryharder Tue 06-Nov-12 18:57:17

I love Aldi and would do all my shopping there in an ideal world. But unfortunately there isn't one near to us at all so I go just once or twice a year.

teddysmom Tue 06-Nov-12 19:03:22

I use aldi all the time. I get a big shop when there is £5 off voucher in the mirror. I buy all sorts cereal,tins,bread,teabags fruit and veg but must admit I do call in other supermarkets to top up with certain brand name products that are family favourites. You cant beat Aldi cheese we love the welsh mature and havent found better. Husband calls in once a week to stock up on breakfast stuff for work and has lost count of the number of bargains hes picked up for his mountain biking. All great quality at low prices. I just wish you did wholemeal pasta and i would be happy.

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 06-Nov-12 19:04:24

I do most of my shopping at Aldi and small top ups at Tesco. It's a fourth minute drive to Aldi, 20 to the small local Tesco. I find Aldi better quality and value for money.

I really like the fresh veg. There are always good stocks of the basic bulk veg and a smaller selection of seasonal stuff. I always buy the orange juice cartons, decaf coffee, tomato purée, cereals, baby shepards pie pouches, crisps, face cream, long life milk, flour and baking stuff, frozen wedges/ chips and veg. Then select from the meats etc on offer that week.

We have enjoyed various special Christmas and Easter offerings but tend to buy a bigger joint than Aldi stock for Christmas as I catter for the wider family of typically 15. I do use Aldi for the bulk of the shop still.

My favourite Christmas buy is the boiled sweets in jars. I have six of the jars in the kitchen now used for storing pasta, nuts and seeds. I need more to fill the shelf so I hope they're in this year.

My critique of the frontpage of the website is that it looks inviting but there is a lack of immediate pricing to tempt you in further. That being said as a regular we're already into our fourth box of deep filled mince pies!

My best ever Aldi buy was mulled wine post Xmas, the bottles were sticky with wine as one must have broken. It was £0.49. The house was in the process of being renovated and we had limited heating, dust every where and the temperatures were the coldest I've ever known with over a month when the day time temp didn't get above minus 3. We didn't have a kitchen or proper oven just a microwave and slow cooker. We warmed the wine in the microwave and lit a big fire, the wine tasted and smelt fantastic, warming us from the inside. You could say it was really good marketing on Aldi's part because since that first cheap bottle three years ago I've brought many more at full price.

Bargains are about knowing what a good price is. It's important to know what's on offer and where, that way when you see something whilst in the shop you can buy it there and then. Chances are if you don't it will be gone.

happybubblebrain Tue 06-Nov-12 19:08:58

I love at Aldi and I shop there every week. I buy about 90% of my shopping there now, including cleaning materials, toiletries, facecream etc. I've been recommending Aldi to people I know and mumsnet for years. I've seen a big increase in shoppers there in the last two years.

I love how easy it is to whiz around and buy all my favourites. I know where everything is without having to think about it. The fruit and vegetables are really fresh and great value. DD loves the fish. I love the breaded camembert and the chocolate.

This Christmas I will be buying lots of nibbles, snacks, drinks and wine from Aldi. We are going out for Christmas dinner to give me a break from cooking, but I will be buying nearly everything except Christmas dinner in Aldi this year.

FreddieMercuryforQueen Tue 06-Nov-12 19:22:05

Yes the car park in our Aldi has got MUCH busier this year.

TeaOneSugar Tue 06-Nov-12 19:32:47

Lebkuchen - Is that the chocolate coated gingerbread? I have two boxes of those already and a box of the chocolate coated Brazils, Yum.

I tend to go in for something I've seen in the leaflet I get through the door, and then get whatever we need (or something I spot) while I'm there.

The packaging on the christmas stuff is really inviting this year.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Nov-12 19:42:36

You should stop making £5 vouchers branch specific, I was gutted when I realised I was in the wrong store to use a voucher.

I'm still not over it now.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 06-Nov-12 19:54:56

I rarely go to Aldi - I'm veggie (though not all family are), and I just don't find much in there that seems appetising to me.
But when I do go in, I stock up on Apple washing up liquid, which I love. The rest of the cleaning products I buy also, but I don;t really get excited about them, but they are cheap ish and they work just as well as more expensive versions.
I also keep an eye on what randoms are available. I'm oddly tempted by DIYish type things. Oh, and thr choc is fab too.
Having looked at the Xmas range, I'll def buy the stollen (I get this every year), the Lebkuchen (ditto), probably cheese and crackers, and oddly I now want cherry brandy.

Chopstheduck Tue 06-Nov-12 20:01:05

Ooh I am rather excited to see they are doing FRESH goose this year, and at that price, it is half the cost of M&S goose! I first tried goose for Xmas dinner when buying a frozen £20 jobby from Aldi, and it's been our christmas roast of choice since.

I do wish, that since they are a German company, they would bring a few more german treats over for christmas, like proper strudel, soft gingerbread, german cream cakes, etc. I do like the look of hte stollen though, and will prob get one of those or a packet of the bites.

Emandlu Tue 06-Nov-12 20:02:17

We do shop at Aldi, but not as often as we used to. We have found that as a general rule the food in Lidl is of better quality and so we do most of our shop there and then top up from Aldi.
As we don't tend to go OTT at Christmas we will just do the same this year. If they had the Duck in again we might have considered doing a bit more of the shop in Aldi, but since they don't it will just be top-ups from there.

Chopstheduck Tue 06-Nov-12 20:02:26

Has anyone ever tried their three bird roasts btw?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now