Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Am I being oversensitive re terminology?

(23 Posts)
Vitalstatistix Thu 21-Aug-14 13:54:13

My lads have just started getting some 1:1 support outside school (they both have ft 1:1 in school - youngest 2:1 as required). This support is to enable them to have some sort of social life without us. They are both teenagers and require adult supervision, but they have the right to do things without parents there! As any teen would want. My eldest is 15 and my youngest turns 14 tomorrow.

So they have support workers, and they do things that teens like to do - bowling, cinema etc.

But the organisation refers to it as 'Sits'

as in "we've booked X in for a Sit next wednesday"

I am really uncomfortable with it.

It feels like Babysit.

I feel like it infantalises them.

But am I being oversensitive? If I am, then I will accept that with good grace. But if you think I am not, what alternative terms do you think would be more appropriate? I was thinking about raising it and suggesting alternatives.

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 21-Aug-14 14:14:08

Isn't it sits as in sit / stands in for an adult?

Vitalstatistix Thu 21-Aug-14 14:51:54

I don't know. It didn't occur to me that it could mean sitting in for someone, tbh. It still just feels like 'babysitting' even so.

Maybe I am overthinking it.

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 21-Aug-14 15:02:11

Do your kids mind it?

Vitalstatistix Thu 21-Aug-14 15:09:02

They aren't at a level where they would be able to analyse things and make such comparisons, so no. It's just me that feels like it's this idea of people coming in and sitting for my kids.

whereas I think supporting them to be active in the community and to have a social life should have a term that is less like, well, we're going to mind them for a bit for you...

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 21-Aug-14 15:11:24

What would you like them to be called?

Vitalstatistix Thu 21-Aug-14 15:16:32

Good question. I don't know. IL opps? Community activities? days out? trips? hours? support?

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 21-Aug-14 15:20:08

Think of it as Supported Integration Trips

Vitalstatistix Thu 21-Aug-14 15:24:49

I like that. grin

I suppose it must seem daft.

But they are teens treated like toddlers all the time and it just weighs on me

thanks

NoHaudinMaWheest Thu 21-Aug-14 15:31:38

My ds 17 has someone who does similar activities with him. He is called an enabler. I'm not overly keen on this term myself but it is much better than 'sits'. I agree that it sounds as if they are babies (or very elderly).

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 21-Aug-14 15:41:46

I suppose it must seem daft.

doesn't seem daft at all.

zzzzz Thu 21-Aug-14 15:55:15

They are called enablers here too. I don't like it much. Companion? A bit Jane Austin! grin

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 21-Aug-14 16:19:40

enablers sounds like something from doctor who...
OH NO THE ENABLERS!!!!

Frusso Thu 21-Aug-14 16:23:36

My dd has "sessions" with a "support worker"

Glittery7 Fri 22-Aug-14 10:18:16

It wouldn't bother me. Maybe if should. Perhaps it will when my DD is older and needs the same service.
My gut reaction is maybe you're being over sensitive.

1sneezecakesmum Fri 22-Aug-14 10:40:36

I think everyone can be a bit over sensitive at times, so don't worry smile

Could be worse and called Teens integrated Trip Support grin

Vitalstatistix Fri 22-Aug-14 10:52:44

Does it make me a bad person that i would LOVE 'tits'? grin

Vitalstatistix Fri 22-Aug-14 10:53:06

Does it make me a bad person that i would LOVE 'tits'? grin

autumnsmum Fri 22-Aug-14 11:04:51

Sneeze cakes love it

Jasonandyawegunorts Fri 22-Aug-14 11:19:09

grin

LatteLoverLovesLattes Fri 22-Aug-14 11:30:25

I don't think you are being 'over sensitive' - things like this are important. It is hard for older children/teens/adults with SN who need help to get the terminology right - and frankly, we're a long way from there yet. Carer/Enabler/Pal - they're all 'urgh' aren't they.

However, in this case, I think I could go for SITS being what Jason said (Supported Integration Trips) and save my energy for a different battle (ie making sure I got as many as possible for them!!).

Terminology is important though and if it continues to upset you after this, there is no harm in seeing what can be done.

I think you'd be pushing it with TITS though grin

MeirAiaNeoAlibi Sun 24-Aug-14 21:29:59

What's on their payslip/ zero hours contract/ job spec?
Probably support worker. In which case, why bother with stupid acronyms.

Supported Integration Trips is a workable solution but still makes me think of Kwan from Cat in the Hat grin. I guess you could sneakily reverse engineer it into their organisation by using it so often that it catches on, and everyone believes it was always an acronym.

Though TITS still does appeal...

Vitalstatistix Mon 25-Aug-14 17:42:38

It does, doesn't it? grin

I don't see their docs, so I don't know.

I am replying to things using the word sessions. Hopefully it will catch on.

But of course, now I am thinking TITS.

Which is making me grin a lot.

They're going to think I fancy them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now