Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Soft play as a treatment for ADHD apparently.....

(32 Posts)
StarOfLightMcKings3 Thu 13-Dec-12 19:50:15
Dev9aug Fri 14-Dec-12 23:13:08

grin no vom here, promise.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes a lot of things very clear.

magso Fri 14-Dec-12 21:04:38

That swing hammock looks lovely!
We only have a little house so building a dedicated sensory room (without a move) is not possible. We made a sensory corner instead- by raising ds bed with a mattress, curtain and bean bag thingy. We have a garden swing seat (a favorite) which I really must move to the garage for winter use.

ouryve Fri 14-Dec-12 14:39:33

DS2 played on the soft play equipment at school every day when he was younger. This was to build up his core strength, though, and improve his balance.

T'other one likes the sensory feedback from rolling about on the stuff, but can't cope with playing on the equipment with other children. And the acoustics in those big warehouse places are terrible for both of them.

If I had room, I'd buy the boys one of those big softplay roller squeezer things. They'd love it! http://www.specialneedstoys.com/uk/therapy/1354-body-roller.html

StarOfLightMcKings3 Fri 14-Dec-12 13:02:47

Dev Tain't MY thread. It is OUR thread.

<Feel free to vom>

StarOfLightMcKings3 Fri 14-Dec-12 13:01:35

For example, an NT child would know that you go into a shop, you choose an item, you queue to pay and then you can leave. If you are spending too long choosing, the NT child can say 'I'm bored, can we go now?' or 'it's too noisy in here'.

A child with ASD might have no clue how long they have to stay in, what happens next, how many processes have to be completed before they can get out of the hell that they have been brought into.

Add to all of that the likeliness that they will be more sensitive to the discomfort of the situation.

A solution could be a)to make a safe place in a pram under a blanket with ear defenders. It could be to b) take them into noisy places for a few seconds building it up with rewards for sticking it out. It could be c) a social story or visual timetable that explains the usual routine in a busy shop with a very clearly marked END.

I prefer the last two together b) and c) as they move towards socially acceptable behaviour and functionality, and I prefer not to go straight to a). But, there will be times when only a) will do and exercises to enable the child to access a) I think is really important, just not the starting place.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Fri 14-Dec-12 12:51:32

I don't know about overcome. Perhaps. Certainly less distressing with desensitisation.

I had sensory problems as a child. I remember now that I couldn't stand sleeves of half length or certain fabrics and all my labels had to be cut out. I have no idea why but I have no problems with any of it now. I suspect some of it came with practice due to social context and peer pressure to wear certain items/styles.

Now my dd is my double. She is 4 and banging on about labels and sleeves not being right. I'm a bit 'meh' about it because she is pretty NT. I think with children with ASD they can become obsessed about it and are not regulated by the social aspect. i.e. couldn't give a fig if everyone was staring at them scream the place down in the supermarket.

Let's face it, most of us must have experienced sensory overload in the shops recently, when you have to either leave or grind your teeth or something. Without the need to buy whatever it is you have gone into get, coupled with the social or practical consequence of NOT getting the item(s) you'd probably not subject yourself to the experience, and if there was no benefit to you of going in and you were 'forced' into the experience with no understanding of when it would end then again, I wouldn't be surprised if you too screamed.

So, I suppose I think that it isn't sensory issues that are the problem, it is the ASD inhibiting the ability to deal with them, understand them and have some control over them. That needs to be taught I think.

Dev9aug Fri 14-Dec-12 12:39:22

Wow, i know that link, i bought a hanging chair from them last year for ds1 which we never used. Thanks very much for that. Some really useful stuff there at a fraction of the price from Rompa.

Your plan sounds fantastic, I was also going to include some calming visual/music stuff in the room similar to their centre in kent.

silverfrog Fri 14-Dec-12 11:04:54

have found this site - not the one I was thinking of, but similar stuff.

the swing chair stands are good, and am eyeing up some of the hammocks for the garden too.

also fancy one of these for the garden, under a shade. having been eyeing that up for a few years now.

silverfrog Fri 14-Dec-12 10:58:32

ha! no concrete plans as yet grin - alas, still a pipe dream (as is the extension <sigh>)

will be in the next few years, I guess.

our set up (both family and house structure) just lends itself to having the garden room option. we have 2 adult children (grin) who quite like their own space/not being woken at the crack of dawn by small children (however delightful dd1's singing is, it really is an acquired taste at 7am!), so having an annexe is a good option. so need sofabed etc in there.

so the room needs to be multi-purpose. we have an odd set-up garage-wise - we have 2 single garages, one behind the other, with a courtyard inbetween. the rear one is no earthly use to anyone as an actual garage, so the obvious choice to sacrifice when we get building (the kitchen will extend out alongside the rear garage).

so we will end up with a room with patio doors onto the garden (outdoors is really important to dd1, and will give me somewhere to loaf about while the children are all in the garden <hate the sun emoticon>), with tracks and hooks for swings/platforms. and then some mats/climbing frames on one wall.

and err, that's it for planning so far grin

that frame looks good, especially if you can get it cheaper. ikea do soem good swing chairs, and I did have a link for a hammock company that did some interesting stuff too - cross between swing chairs, and hammocks. hang on a sec.

Dev9aug Fri 14-Dec-12 10:36:20

you have obviously given it a lot more thought than I would have. so do you mind me asking what are your plans for the room so I can shamelessly copy them.grin you can PM me if you like.

We are also in rented accommodation so I am thinking of buying a portable frame like this to use. It is stupid amount of money but I know somebody who can make these for me for a fraction of the price.

star really really sorry, I have just realised that I seem to be crashing a lot of your threads lately.blush

silverfrog Fri 14-Dec-12 10:18:26

public transport was the obvious solution for us - we have a good (free) car park in town, 2 minutes walk from the station. 30 mins to Victoria, then transfer to bus. 10 minute walk at other end.

it was the timetabling that caused a few issues, as the connections weren't brilliant. but it had to be done, for Tribunal.

definitely not overkill setting up a room - I have one in mind for when we build our extension - will be a multi-purpose room opening onto the garden, using the back half of our garage. we would have one by now if we hadn't spent 4 years in rented accommodation chasing provision...

Dev9aug Fri 14-Dec-12 09:05:59

silverfrog that sounds similar to what we are doing now, but I don't think I could do it using public transport.
If I could make some room in the house, I am going to buy some of the equipment they use and set up a therapy room in the house for kids so they could practice everyday and but I don't know if it will be overkill.

Dev9aug Fri 14-Dec-12 08:59:16

"I'd rather that he was just made to sit still and listen to the teacher rather than be taken out every time he fidgets, to be squashed or jump of a tower or whatever"

I agree with the sentiment, we are facing similar and i still cannot quite work out what is the right balance. The workshop by AP has really got me thinking because there was no mention of sensory needs but in the videos they did get kids to focus on tasks with a system of reward tokens. I know the videos are only half truths, but Does that mean with enough practice, sensory issues can be overcome?

silverfrog Fri 14-Dec-12 00:11:26

I hate driving in London too. We used to go on the train - up to Victoria, change and wait for a bus, then a 10 minute walk at the other end. All in all it took us close on 7 hours in total for the hour of therapy - madness.

Yes, we go to the Kent centre now (thanks, I think, to you for making me aware of it!) - 25 minutes in the car, much more civilised! DMdoes come down, once a month, but only to oversee afaik. Dd1 sees another OT instead. A shame, but she is still making good progress.

Dev9aug Thu 13-Dec-12 23:21:02

silverfrog oh the journeys, I hate driving into London every week. It takes me couple of hours to get there and another couple back for one hour of therapy. But at the moment, the benefit outweighs the time spent in the journey so we are going to continue with that.

Can you go to their other center in Kent, I hear DM does see clients there on saturday.

Dev9aug Thu 13-Dec-12 23:18:22

oops, I missed the lol in the main post. sorry star I think I killed your thread.blush

The idea in principle is good, but the article is worded pretty badly.

magso Thu 13-Dec-12 22:36:37

It's as if it has been written by someone who does not understand what they are writing about.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Thu 13-Dec-12 21:30:46

It's basically saying soft play is important because play is important, and soft play, is play.

FanjoTimeMammariesAndWine Thu 13-Dec-12 21:20:47

Bouncing on a gym ball has really helped DD..hard to believe I know..she has severe ASD

magso Thu 13-Dec-12 21:19:40

Soft play is great for ds too- I think he is mostly a sensory seeker. The only trouble is he is too old now for most local facilities. I so wish his secondary (ss) was more sensory (and asd) aware. The local respite centre has a sensory facility and some local soft play centres have sn or ASD evenings without upper age limits and judgy adults.

moondog Thu 13-Dec-12 21:18:25

God what total guff on that website.
I've a lot of time for OTs and OT (we are shortly embarking on a big piece of ABA research with them) but what has been written there is nonsense.

Nowt you can't get frrom going on a walk.
A walk that is free of course.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Thu 13-Dec-12 20:50:58

DS has quite a lot of SI in his school. He has group OT and then and individual one weekly, plus SI strategies are used throughout the day.

DS actually won his place at the school based on his sensory needs, rather than his SALT needs. It's what swung it because most LA's are piss poor at the SI stuff.

I have a bit of a love-hate thing going on with SI, because whilst I don't deny his needs I'd rather that he was just made to sit still and listen to the teacher rather than be taken out every time he fidgets, to be squashed or jump of a tower or whatever.

As DS' holidays are longer than the majority, we can get to soft play places then, and it isn't so bad, except for the mothers of toddlers that really don't like him being amongst their babies.

silverfrog Thu 13-Dec-12 20:27:12

Hopscotch are fabulous and DM there certainly knows his stuff. Sadly dd1 is not seeing him again, but couldn't make the crazy journey to hopscotch work for us.

colditz Thu 13-Dec-12 20:08:43

Ds1 had ot that was essentially soft play. Lots of assault courses, jumping, rolling around on things. It really calms him down, if you can do it, do do it.nwe have an annual pass for our local place, which I take them to when ds1 is getting a bit much.

Dev9aug Thu 13-Dec-12 20:06:38

xposted with silverfrog grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now