Special or Additional Needs?

(4 Posts)
ourhouseonthehill Thu 27-Mar-14 11:01:20

Can someone clarify the definition between special needs and additional needs at the age of two please? l think my child has additional rather than special needs but l would like other peoples opinion of what the difference is - thank you (btw lm not adverse to either - would just like clarification on the difference)

PolterGoose Thu 27-Mar-14 17:56:23

It's an interesting question ourhouse and we've discussed it over on the SN boards a few times. The SN Children and SN Chat boards are much busier than this one so you might want to post over there.

Often people say special needs instead of disabled, I honestly don't know why. My ds has disabilities and as a result he has care and support needs over and above his typical peers. Most people call this 'special needs' but I hate the special bit in all honesty, I prefer to say he has 'additional needs as a result of his disabilities' which just feels more accurate and objective. There's a move toward using 'additional educational needs' instead of 'special educational needs' too.

ourhouseonthehill Fri 28-Mar-14 06:32:36

thank you - l will pop over and look at the other threads x

Riv Tue 22-Apr-14 22:39:17

The difference between using the terms "need", "difficulty" or "disabilities" depends on the sector you are dealing with. In the UK Health tend to classify children as having disabilities. Education sees children as having needs and difficulties. Some folk consider "disabilities" to be a somewhat negative and intrasient term. They think that difficulties and needs are more positive terms because we all have needs and difficulties at some stage of our lives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now