Is there a solution?

(3 Posts)
hydeyhi91 Wed 16-Apr-14 16:27:32

Or do I need to keep ploughing on?
My 9month old dd keeps waking 5-10times a night and I don't know why.
She loves her food and eats 3 meals a day, I bf her first thing in the morning and before bathtime and she has formula in a cup throughout the day (doesn't drink much water)
About 5 of the night wakings are due to her losing her dummy
Other times I sit with her and shush/pat her and she goes back to sleep
Other times I have to pick her up and rock her, and last resort bf her.
In the past she has gone a 12 hours without a feed but waking for a dummy repeatedly so I don't think she's hungry which is why I am reluctant to offer a feed straight away.
I'm back at work about 25hours a week now and I'm knackered.

Any suggestions?
TIA

carolinementzer Wed 16-Apr-14 18:34:30

Hi there,
It sounds like the dummy maybe a problem, can you get rid of it? It may be difficult for the first few nights but she should get used to it and eventually not need it. I had a similar problem with my daughter who is now 3. She was waking 6-8 x a night and needed the sucking action to get back to sleep - except it was my nipple not a dummy! She didn't need the milk as she'd only suck for a few seconds before nodding off again. As you can guess I was physically exhausted. In the end we just went cold turkey, and after a few nights she slept 9 hours straight, and not long after than she went 12 hours straight and sleeps well now. I blog about my daughters sleep it was so bad - here's the post that may be relevant to you. mydaughterwontsleep.com/2014/02/06/is-breast-best-when-it-comes-to-sleep-apparently-not/ Good luck and best wishes

LilPeasMama Sun 20-Apr-14 17:28:19

I could have wrote that post myself hydeyhi91
Except my DS is nearly 8months.
He has previously slept 7am-7pm from about 8weeks old and only started having a dummy at 5 1/2 months.
He has just started to sleep on his side and I thought that this maybe the problem, ahh well, goodbye dummy hello earplugs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now