Post pregnancy sweating...how long does it last?

(23 Posts)
OhCaptainDarling Thu 30-Jan-14 09:36:44

It's horrid......when does it stop?

DC2 born 2 wks again grin All good however I'm waking up in a pool of sweat during the night and in the morning. Then I'm getting back into a cold damp bed once I've finished feeding. confused

I have towels on the bed and pillow, changing the sheets every 3 days. I'm changing my sleep bra etc at least 1 a night.

I know it will pass but when...

Thanks

Andcake Thu 30-Jan-14 11:29:54

Mine lasted the whole time I breastfed. Its training for the menopause

OhCaptainDarling Thu 30-Jan-14 18:15:35

Oh my goodness...don't say that cake not sure that I could cope with that.

pricklyPea Fri 31-Jan-14 10:22:39

A few weeks. I remember thinking I was seriously ill.
Think it was gone by a month.

Moosekin Fri 31-Jan-14 21:38:55

Same here - midwife said it was my body making the milk. Sweats and shivers etc.... Was over by about 4 weeks maybe 6.

OMGiwonacar Fri 31-Jan-14 21:41:20

Mine lasted for 6 mths til I had my gallbladder out.... It appears I was running an infection after all!

Oddly I fed for another 18mths with no sweats.

If things don't improve worth seeing doc.

Princesspond Fri 31-Jan-14 21:47:56

God you've made me remember how awful it was. Unhelpfully I have no idea how long it lasted, maybe a couple of weeks?

hedgehogy Fri 31-Jan-14 21:48:32

Mine lasted for around 6 months (I'm still breastfeeding at 8 months). I rarely sweated before getting pregnant so it took some getting used to. As well as at night, I sweated horrendously all over walking even a short distance (and I've always exercised regularly so I'm fit). I was starting to think it was permanent so thank goodness it has stopped.

ThursdayLast Fri 31-Jan-14 21:52:13

Man, those sweats were freaky. I understood it in hospital because those places always have their own little weird climate, but I too was worried I had a seriously problem when they carried on at home!
I don't remember how long they lasted though, I think only a matter of weeks.

My dd1 is 6.5 weeks and I'm still throwing the quilt of in my sleep and waking up sweating. Having the house warm for her doesn't help!! I want to open all the windows and freeze myself!!

PenguinsDontEatKale Fri 31-Jan-14 22:16:54

Mine was only a few days. Sounds like I had it easy.

nevergoogle Fri 31-Jan-14 22:21:32

What? I don't remember this.

kazza446 Fri 31-Jan-14 22:24:36

I'm 5 weeks since my c section and thryve started to taper off now thank goodness. They were nasty. I was waking up to feed baba and the bed sheets were sodden as were my pj's. Hope they ease off soon x

fish88 Fri 31-Jan-14 22:44:08

Mine only lasted a couple of weeks and I'm still breastfeeding. Between the sweats and the leaky boobs I was waking up drenched every night.

IpanemaMeisje Fri 31-Jan-14 22:52:04

6 weeks really but got a bit better after 4 weeks. It's grim but I kept trying to remind myself that it was the water retention gained during pregnancy, plus hormones, my body was getting rid of and that was a good thing wink

Gerty1002 Sun 02-Feb-14 13:49:35

Mine lasted about 4 weeks but now I also get them with at AF time, when I had never before. It's awful, I used to change pyjamas after every feed!

LadySnapcase Sun 02-Feb-14 13:51:07

6 months and counting, stopped BF 5 months ago hmm Am seeing the GP about mine...

DS2 is 4 weeks old now and they stopped a week ago. They were at their worst around 2 weeks.

Hope yours stop soon! They're awful, especially in a cold bedroom when you have to get up to change a nappy while you're soaked through.

MetellaEstMater Mon 03-Feb-14 03:11:12

I'm 4 weeks post partun with DD2 and they have tapered off with the bleeding over the last week.

MetellaEstMater Mon 03-Feb-14 03:11:23

Oh and I'm bfing

chickieno1 Mon 03-Feb-14 03:21:05

With ds lasted for ages was horrible. About six weeks

Dd is now four months old. I had them for about three weeks this time.

Hope yours stops soon

Mondayschild78 Tue 04-Feb-14 03:51:44

About 6 weeks but have had the occasional one since (DS2 is now 10 weeks). I do not remember it with DS1. Both are breast fed babies.

BetterWithCheese Tue 04-Feb-14 08:07:30

DD is 5 weeks and I think the sweating calmed down around a week and a half ago. Like others have said it coincided with lochia stopping and the sweating was worst at around 2 weeks. It is horrible though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now