Android app - is there going to be a new one?

(23 Posts)
InAWashingMachineMinute Mon 16-May-16 01:05:54

I just wondered if there was ever going to be a new android app?

It feels like a really long time since we lost the old one!

I'm about at the end of my tether using the mobile site on my phone, so am crossing my fingers that it's in development.

Anyone else desperate for it to arrive?!

InAWashingMachineMinute Mon 16-May-16 07:54:17

Just me then!

Missymoomoo1979 Mon 16-May-16 07:58:12

I want it back too!!
Have they created one for iphone?

InAWashingMachineMinute Mon 16-May-16 08:17:30

Yes, there's an iPhone/ ipad one, it's really good. Hopefully there will be a similar android one on the way!

coughingbean Mon 16-May-16 10:53:20

I NEED an android app!

Missymoomoo1979 Mon 16-May-16 13:41:21

They need to hurry up with it then grin

WotNoLoobrush Mon 16-May-16 22:28:50

I read the other day that one is in the pipeline. I can't wait.

SpidersFromMars Mon 16-May-16 23:28:18

Yes please - it has been in the pipeline for ages.

DonkeyOaty Mon 16-May-16 23:32:45

No need. The mobile android site is peachy <strokes mobile site fondly>

<legs it>

InAWashingMachineMinute Tue 17-May-16 09:41:13

Donkey grin. Are you really tech on a name change?!

DonkeyOaty Tue 17-May-16 09:50:39

No sorry to disappoint! I am one of the Old Guard who don't like change [dinosaur] grin

hobybabo Tue 17-May-16 10:08:16

I like the mobile site too! I'm a bit bemused about why the app is supposedly so much better - the iOS one is new and yet I still see people posting "can't do XYZ because I'm on the app" so how is it better than the mobile site? Genuine question I'm not trying to be an arse!

InAWashingMachineMinute Tue 17-May-16 10:22:39

The things I hate about it are:
1) looking at 'threads I'm on / watching' is horrible. Just a long list of updates (a bit like the advanced search results)
2) no bookmarking
3) with the adverts and 'toolbars' at the top and bottom, it leaves only half the screen viewable
4) it doesn't highlight the OPs / your own posts

There are plenty of other little things too! Maybe I'm just using it incorrectly!

FrannyMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 17-May-16 12:07:57

Hi everyone!

So glad you asked. We ARE working on an Android Talk app right now!

And even better - you could help us out with testing the app as we go through the development phases.

We’ll be starting out with very early designs and basic versions of the app; moving towards fully working versions in stages.

We'll be testing in different ways, over time. We could be in need of your help at one or multiple stages. You could be contacted in the next few weeks, or months.

If you’d like to be on our tester list, fill in our sign-up survey and give us your details.

>> Sign up for Android Talk app testing <<

Thanks - we look forward to hearing from you smile

InAWashingMachineMinute Tue 17-May-16 12:27:34

Yay! Thanks Franny.

Signed up!

hobybabo Tue 17-May-16 14:18:52

You can bookmark and highlight your own and OP's posts. Don't seem to be able to choose the colours though! Both in the "customise" menu. I don't use Watching but I am inclined to agree with your feelings on TIO, it is a bit "listy"! You can post and view photos though, which I often see people say they can't do on the app. And scroll back up when replying to a thread to see who to direct your comments to. And post links.

hobybabo Tue 17-May-16 14:20:39

In spite of all this I have signed up to do the app testing!

suitsyousir79 Tue 17-May-16 14:46:08

Will the app use less data than the mobile site? Im ripping through my data using the mobile site but never used to on the old app.

InAWashingMachineMinute Wed 18-May-16 07:14:25

Thanks hobybaby! I might not need the new app now grin

InAWashingMachineMinute Wed 18-May-16 07:15:08

*hobybabo!

InAWashingMachineMinute Wed 18-May-16 07:17:31

Oh, and you can see photos/post links/scroll etc in the new ios app. Hopefully the android one will be the same.

coughingbean Wed 18-May-16 21:05:15

I loved the ios app.

BilalTech (MNHQ) Thu 19-May-16 15:45:15

Hey Everyone, we are really pleased with the amount of responses from you with regards to testing the app. We will let you know as soon as there is a build for you to test so watch this space! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now