Could we have your help trying new MN function please?

(58 Posts)
JessicaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Nov-13 13:02:40

Hello,

We've been building a feature to let Mumsnetters receive email alerts when a thread they are watching gets a new post and we'd really like you to try it out and let us know what you think.

You can turn it on by visiting your customise talk page.
You can also check which email address we have for you on your account page.

Right now the way it works is; if you're not actively browsing threads then you'll get an email to let you know when someone posts to a thread you're watching. You'll only get one email for each thread regardless of how many people post. It's just a way of letting you know there's been some activity. If you go and visit the thread again that'll be reset and you'll be able to receive another email alert.

This is a completely optional opt-in opt-out feature. You can change your mind at any time by going to customise talk.

It's our first little prototype so any bugs or quirks you find or suggestions you have please share.

Thank you!

Golddigger Tue 19-Nov-13 13:05:18

I will try the opt out for you.
I dont think I am interested in this option personally. it is not really the way I use the board. Thanks anyway.
Off to try.

MerryMarigold Tue 19-Nov-13 13:05:30

Hi Jessica. I wanted to get hold of MN IT people as I keep getting diverted to other websites from MN. Everytime I click 'post' or 'threads I'm on' or 'active' it starts opening suspicious websites. I shut them immediately, but it's getting tedious. There's also random words being underlined that I'm sure if I clicked would open the same web pages. How do I stop it?

MirandaWest Tue 19-Nov-13 13:05:33

Should I be able to see something about it on the customise page? Am using the mobile site and have mumsnet classic.

Golddigger Tue 19-Nov-13 13:06:16

Hang on. I have no reread.
If I dont want it currently, which I dont, I do nothing? Is that correct?

Golddigger Tue 19-Nov-13 13:06:33

now not no. Sorry

JessicaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Nov-13 13:09:19

Hi Merry, hmm that does sound very tedious! Do you mind posting about it in site stuff and giving details like your browser you're using so we'll can get our clever tech types to advise?

JessicaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Nov-13 13:10:42

Hello Golddigger yes don't worry it is turned off by default for existing users. If it's not for you that's fine - do nothing and you'll receive nothing!

DorisShutt Tue 19-Nov-13 13:10:58

Right. I've done this - but could you change the text to say something other than "receive email notifications" - it's not clear what it's about like that really; maybe "receive email notifications about TIW" or similar?

MumInTrainers Tue 19-Nov-13 13:12:00

This sounds great.

JessicaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Nov-13 13:14:33

Ah ha! Thanks very much for the heads up Miranda we'll get it sorted for mobile asap.

JessicaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Nov-13 13:17:12

Thank you DorisShutt, that's a good point and useful feedback.

DorisShutt Tue 19-Nov-13 13:20:21

<polishes swot badge> grin

MerryMarigold Tue 19-Nov-13 13:21:56

Thanks Jessica

MirandaWest Tue 19-Nov-13 13:25:54

Thank you smile Will have a go on the computer as well but most of my mums netting is either on phone or ipad.

RevelsRoulette Tue 19-Nov-13 13:28:18

Apparently it won't work if you're not on Mumsnet New

Sorry, but I am unwilling to swap from my nice comfy familiar settings to the utter hideousness that is <gasp> change !

JessicaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Nov-13 14:41:37

Hi Revels it should work in all Mumsnet views including classic, we'll move it out of that section in customise talk - that's misleading!
Feel free to try it out without having to <whispers> change... wink

RevelsRoulette Tue 19-Nov-13 17:25:24

Ah. ok. It just said it didn't
Change is scary.
grin

ViewFromThe4thFloor Tue 19-Nov-13 19:27:24

This looks like something I would love. I'll try it and let you know.

ViewFromThe4thFloor Tue 19-Nov-13 22:40:35

Have tried it and it looks fine to me. Does it work if I use MN from my mobile as well?

meditrina Tue 19-Nov-13 22:52:00

I've switched it on, and will now go and look at my watch list.

But as I think they're all really old threads that I stuck in there because there was a useful post I might want to find again, the zombies might mean nothing really happens.

gamerchick Tue 19-Nov-13 22:55:30

Merry you have an infection on your machine. It's Irritating rather then harmful. Usually a system restore sorts it put.

gamerchick Tue 19-Nov-13 22:55:57

* out

JustAnotherFucker Tue 19-Nov-13 22:56:06

I've got some watched threads so I've just turned it on and I guess I'll just wait to see if it works and let y'all know [smile <<girly swot>>]

Pascha Tue 19-Nov-13 22:56:42

OK. I've switched it on. Better go and watch some threads now I suppose...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now