What was 'the episode'??!

(48 Posts)
LadyRabbit Mon 07-Oct-13 15:27:45

Reading another thread on here about the feminism boards and people keep mentioning 'an episode' or 'issue' that changed the board (apparently a lot). I used to read those boards a lot when I had more time.

I'm a bit confused and curious as to what happened.
Can someone please explain? I can't figure it out on the actual thread and it is Monday and my brain is going very slowly indeed.

Thanking you.

HoneyDragon Mon 07-Oct-13 19:21:44

Ooooh is this the really secret magic thread which can slag off other areas of Mnet because the groups it being referred to it can't see it?

In that case

MNHQ are a bunch of gin soaked old harridans with a love of big red buttons.

LadyRabbit Mon 07-Oct-13 19:22:48

I understand why a re-hash is not a great idea, let sleeping dogs lie and all that. I was just genuinely flummoxed because I couldn't think what the thread was that had something happen. (Stuff is always "happening" on threads...)

However. What truly astonishes me is that grown adults might cry about a debate they are involved in online.

At some point, surely common sense reminds one that this is not real life. It is debate, in the ether, about some serious things but there must come a point where you step back and know to leave alone, right? I never understand why people get so low down and personal in posts to people they don't actually know IRL. The negative side of the freedom anonymous online debate brings, I suppose.

peachactiviaminge Mon 07-Oct-13 19:31:30

For some people MN is a lifeline and they count certain people as friends, it hurts when friends betray you no matter where it happens so let's not add to that hurt by bringing it up again and making them relive it or by letting people air their grievances in the supposed effort of educating people it didn't affect.

BlingBang Mon 07-Oct-13 19:41:24

I always wondered how some of the more vocal feminist posters would suddenly appear on a thread to help out one of their mates and take it over. It would always end with them all congratulating each other that they had won the argument (everyone else had enough and had buggered off). Always wondered if they had a way of rallying the troops.

SnakeyMcBadass Mon 07-Oct-13 19:52:37

I literally never saw that, Bling. I've seen MRA's seen off with their tails between their legs, though. Some of the posters that left were very knowledgeable and gave interesting new perspectives. I didn't always agree with them, but it was certainly educational.

scaevola Mon 07-Oct-13 19:57:12

I never knew about the secret rallying point used by FWR regulars to marshall attacks. If true, that's utterly despicable.

Good riddance to all who do that.

BlingBang Mon 07-Oct-13 20:00:41

Suppose that depends what you consider MRA's to be? I've seen accusations of posters being called MRA's for all kinds of comments or opinions.

scaevola Mon 07-Oct-13 20:04:48

There have definitely been long standing (presumably female) MNetters who were rounded on. Not just goady people with new usernames and no posting history. But I haven't seen that for a while.

Were there really bannings? I thought it was a series of flounces. (Though perhaps we don't need to know).

BlingBang Mon 07-Oct-13 20:06:52

So what are GF's? All so cryptic.

HoneyDragon Mon 07-Oct-13 20:07:52

It's not cryptic, it is an acronym for Goady Fucker.

Honey, its in code, cant you tell, you're just super clever and have cracked it grin

HoneyDragon Mon 07-Oct-13 20:09:29

Get me. I'm a biological Enigma machine.

I reckon we need to update the acronyms list anyways.

GF - Goady Fucker
IPOAT - insane people etc
ODFOD - oh do fuck off, dear

There are quite a few more that I forget right now that I think should be on there.

LtEveDallas Mon 07-Oct-13 20:16:58

grin Quick, get her to Bletchley

HoneyDragon Mon 07-Oct-13 20:21:32

It's not exactly far for me is it grin

Ooooh. Maybe I was an experiment from there? That's why I'm still here so they can monitor me.

It certainly explains why my mum and dad often look perplexed around me and mutter "where the fuck did we get you from?"

I always knew I was destined for greatness...

Sparklysilversequins Mon 07-Oct-13 20:24:58

Presumably those that stamped their feet over "Moldies" would have been fine if THEIR invite hadn't got lost in the post?

Valhalla was a caring and fab poster who was provoked beyond endurance by the unrivalled twatishness of one particular poster who had been pissing us all off all over MN not just The Dog House. Only this time her immature and selfish behaviour was probably going to cost one or more animals their lives.

LadyRabbit Mon 07-Oct-13 21:22:19

Um, what's an MRA? It's not a disease is it?

HoneyDragon Mon 07-Oct-13 21:25:28

Mens Rights Activist

I'm fire with the decoding tonight grin

meditrina Mon 07-Oct-13 21:25:30

No, you're thinking of MRSA

MRA= Men's Rights Actvists.

(Apparently I'm one... hmm )

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 07-Oct-13 21:25:43

Men's Rights Activists.

LadyRabbit Mon 07-Oct-13 21:28:37

I have learnt so much this evening. Now I must clear up dog vomit and retire for the night. Thanks for illuminating me further and I hope I didn't offend anybody by bringing up old threads that I wasn't aware of.

Honeydragon I could use you over on my Acronyms thread in Site Stuff!! grin

(Sorry I can't link, I'm on my phone)

DameDeepRedBetty Tue 08-Oct-13 00:34:46

See, the trouble with acronyms like MRA is that someone like me, who's seen the damage that can be done by one bloody minded ex-partner to a very dear relative, can very easily been turned online into some sort of 'apologist for bastard blokes who left some poor woman literally holding the baby'. I've seen my adopted brother bend over backward to offer support to my ex SIL and their child, and been kicked in the balls at regular intervals, because she's extremely cross about SOMETHING but she won't say what. I've been hanging out on here for long enough to know that sometimes - in fact most of the time - it's more complicated than face evidence, but if she'd only, PLEASE, start the ball rolling, she and dbro could maybe sort something out? Meanwhile poor niece is the innocent victim!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now