Threads dying at 1000 posts?? Why?

(108 Posts)
magimedi Argentina Sat 30-Mar-13 22:49:29

It just seems so fucking arbitary.

Why can't threads just run to their natural conclusion instead of being beheaded at a certain number?

I can't fathom the reason for this & would be delighted if someone could explain.

OloeufiaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 30-Mar-13 22:54:07

Hi there
It's cos they take too long to load otherwise
HTH

MrsVamos Sat 30-Mar-13 22:55:12

I think it's something to do with them getting to big to keep being loaded ?

Not techie at all. Sorry.

I have only very rarely seen a thread run on. I think there was one very recently, but it had a very specific reason why it ran on.

Long threads won't load on my laptop and a message comes up at the bottom of the screen saying "Mumsnet.com can't load due to long running script" or words to that effect.
So I guess that 's why?

MrsVamos Sat 30-Mar-13 22:55:52

Oooh, I was right.

<too easily pleased>

Cross-posted with the mumsnetty eggy one...

Try loading Nickel's live birth thread (it's the only one I can think of over 1000 posts) it takes fecking ages when your connection is at a low.

MrsVamos Sat 30-Mar-13 22:56:39

Should also have been too big.

I am not techie, but honestly, I can spell. smile

usualsuspect Sat 30-Mar-13 22:57:02

Long threads wont load on my phone. well they do but they take forever

Usual My phone is shite, it takes ages to load even the shortest of threads. sad

usualsuspect Sat 30-Mar-13 23:00:30

If I'm using 3g on my phone I don't even bother trying to load long threads.

500internalerror Sat 30-Mar-13 23:02:12

They load on mine - but it's all bloody repeated! So I don't bother with anything that's too long.

magimedi Argentina Sat 30-Mar-13 23:02:49

Well then why can't MNHQ re do them as a 'Part 2' or 'Next Episode'?

Maybe with the last 5 or 10 posts on there.

And another forum I'm on has one thread with something like 25,000 posts & loading is not a problem. And it's a small self funded place with no ads.

MrsVamos Sat 30-Mar-13 23:05:52

Generally if you have followed a post for that long, if the thread is continued, before it ends you will get someone posting a link to the new/continued thread.

May I suggest if the other forum shows how inferior this one is, you stick with that one ? Mumsnet isn't for everyone. Each to their own.

Valpollicella Sat 30-Mar-13 23:06:27

Magi, maybe thats it though - if it's a small forum then they are going to have less huge threads. On here, can you imagine the strain if threads were left to go to 25,00 posts? There would be loooads of them, given how we all like to witter on argue chat shit discuss stuff till the death The servers on MN would collapse grin

magimedi Argentina Sat 30-Mar-13 23:07:13

Mrs Vamos (& I hope you do) - I am in no way saying that MN is inferior, I am just questioning the tecchie side of it.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Sat 30-Mar-13 23:08:55

I think it's much more simple than that.

There are two reasons for a thread going as far as a thousand posts.

(1) it's a quichey type chat thread, where the posters are perfectly capable of linking to a part 2, 3, 4 etc.

or

(2) it's a bunfight. mnhq hope to god that when it gets to a thousand we will all give up and go to bed or get distracted elsewhere. Which to be fair often happens.

MrsVamos Sat 30-Mar-13 23:11:11

See, because I'm not overly techie at all, I don't think about things like this.

But, you can alter threads on here to read as up to 100 posts per page, as Val says, this place is so huge, with so many different threads, wow, you would (I imagine) be spending large amounts of time waiting for threads to load if they were allowed to run and run ?

I don't know enough about servers etc and all that so I'll bow out now. smile

magimedi Argentina Sat 30-Mar-13 23:11:41

Ok, Maryz

And I'm leaving this at post 18 & vamooshing to bed before I get really cross with anyone.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Sat 30-Mar-13 23:11:49

x-posted, btw.

One piece of advice (gently, to you as a newbie) - never, ever, ever, ever question the techie side of it. Firstly mn is run <whispers> on some rather ancient software that can't cope with any of this, and secondly tech lives in the US somewhere, spends most of his time on a beach and gets a tad cranky if criticised.

Think of it as a lovely, old-fashioned, not working very well carousel in a French seaside town. Just be grateful it works at all.

<ducks and runs>

MrsVamos Sat 30-Mar-13 23:13:43

Why on earth get cross ?

Was going to say, there are Techs here who sometimes come and explain things, but I don't think the people at MNHQ let them out of their cupboards very often. grin

EduCated Bosnia-Herzegovina Sat 30-Mar-13 23:14:09

And whatever you do, do not poke the wires.

But why would you get cross with anyone? confused

NetworkGuy Sat 30-Mar-13 23:15:07

Very rare that I've seen a thread really need to go past 1000 posts.

Admittedly soe get into a series of "off at a tangent" chats within the 1000 posts which can be a teeny bit annoying if it's a couple of factions having a slanging match rather than being associated with the main topic under discussion, but it's not that difficult to create a follow-up thread and post just before you get to 1000 posts, to say something like

the thread continues here

(of course you might get some "let's be the last on this thread" competition going on so you don't get chance to post the link, if you don't plan early enough ... eg post 970)

magimedi Argentina Sat 30-Mar-13 23:16:25

Oh I remember seeing the most beautiful carousel in all the world in Arcachon about 10 years ago.

And I waited until late in the day & was allowed a ride on it - all by myself - all the petit enfants had gone to bed (or gouter) & it was MAGIC!

I will use that image re MN tech stuff from now on & be soothed.

flowers Maryz

Oi, MHNQ!

That was a friffboring reason.

Where's your imadge tonight?

sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now