Heard of Fixperts? Come and look at what they do - and tell us what you think

(36 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Mar-13 20:13:57

Hello. We've recently come across a pretty inspiring bunch of folks at an outfit called Fixperts.

They are design geeks who want to share the creative and social values of design as widely as possible - by sharing their ideas with folks who could do with a clever design solution to something that's making their life difficult.

And they make a little Fixperts film each time to show how it all works out.

So, in this film, for example, you can see how Fixperts helped a London cycle paramedic find a way to stow his intubation tube safely on his bike, and here you can see how Fixperts came up with an an ingenious way to help an elderly lady called Edna who was having difficulty putting on her socks.

So, what we want to know is, what do you think?

Do you like what Fixperts do? And if so, can you think of any design challenges in your life/another Mumsnetter's life that you'd like Fixperts to try to fix?

Please do share.

RollingThunder you need a suitcase trolley from a posh hotel with a nice gold cage round it.

BoffinMum Wed 27-Mar-13 11:05:05

RollingThunder - A Segway??!!

BackforGood Tue 26-Mar-13 18:02:35

PLEASE will somwonw tell me how to make the video play? Pretty please?
(I'm on a PC, not a phone or anything)

Grate a load of cheese at once and keep it in the freezer to defrost as needed.

geogteach Tue 26-Mar-13 16:58:18

For people looking for wheelchair fixes, you can get a cupholder that fits down near the foot plate, my sister got one recently sure she just found it through amazon or a google search. For steps basically you need to tip on back wheels but the 'stops' on the back can stop you tipping far enough, these can be removed and turned other way up so they are out of the way and can be used to step down on to tip the wheelchair. Not sure I have explained this well but as my sister has had to resort to using hers permanently recently I am learning new stuff all the time!

CMOTDibbler Tue 26-Mar-13 16:43:24

I do use a box grater on a non slip mat, but have to try and hold it down with my elbow which hurts and is not v useful. I did have an electric grater, but it was rubbish. The food processor works, but it narks me to have to wash all that up for a tiny bit of cheese.

Or a granny shopping trolley with the bag taken off and the buggy board attached.

My food processor has a grater attachment, that's perfectly workable one-handed.
The double buggy board solution is a skateboard with a knotted rope drilled through the front, or two scooters.

wonkylegs Tue 26-Mar-13 16:30:06

CMOT grating - I have reduced grip and use a box grater on a non slip grip mat that the OT gave me. It takes a knack but works for me. If this doesn't help have you tried an electric grater, which in theory should be easier but never tried one myself so can't vouch for it , have seen them for £10/15.

SoupDreggon Tue 26-Mar-13 15:08:51

I"m thinking maybe velcro could be utilised in solving your knob problem, CMOT.

RollingThunder Tue 26-Mar-13 13:16:02

I have ds5 with asd and nt ds3. Currently when I walk to school ds3 goes in the buggy and ds5 on the buggy board! (He's not really safe around busy roads without a high level of supervision).

The problem is that ds3, is really fed up with being in the buggy and wants to go on the buggy board too! So I need a contraption that I can push two standing up kids on, without the buggy bit!

Any suggestions?

CMOTDibbler Tue 26-Mar-13 11:31:16

Nagoo - you'd think it would be easy, but my current ones take dh 15 minutes of swearing to put on. Part of the trouble is that you are fixing something to a round surface, so they rotate round, slide up and down from the desired position etc.

Isabeller Tue 26-Mar-13 10:32:01

Any thoughts on the safest way to get someone in a wheelchair up down 4 steps between lift and front door of flats until wheelchair lift built. Only one carer, wheelchair user a light adult.

Nagoo Tue 26-Mar-13 10:01:18

A steering wheel knob should be easy shouldn't it? A screw on clip thing? Obviously I must be underestimating the inconvenience of only having one hand to use. But If you could get one with a what's the word? wratchet thing? Like I have a screwdriver that only gives force in one direction so you can turn it back on itself without letting it go? I don't mean easy for me to make, but easy for a proper designer/ engineer

CMOTDibbler Tue 26-Mar-13 09:40:18

Paper clips bend and slip out alas.

I haven't tried the ribbon technique, but it does sound promising. I shall give it a try KatyMac

KatyMac Tue 26-Mar-13 09:37:36

Thread a ribbon/long piece of thread onto the zip while the clothes are off; double it over & knot a button onto it

Put the outfit on and you should be able to catch the button (esp if it's fairly big) pull it over your shoulder & pull the zip up.

Unknot and pull ribbon out of the look

Long-winded but it worked when I had a frozen shoulder; however it wouldn't now as my fine motor skills are crap sad

SoupDreggon Tue 26-Mar-13 09:28:39

For the zips - can't see it working for anything else.

Those are exactly the sort of things I bet they're looking for - there's no money in people making them in bulk as they are more "bespoke" so no one bothers.

SoupDreggon Tue 26-Mar-13 09:26:52

How about a bent paper clip tied to some string?
[helpful]

CMOTDibbler Tue 26-Mar-13 09:20:38

I'd like something that holds a grater still for me - grating with one hand is a pita.

A steering wheel knob that can easily be transferred from one car to another so I don't have to book hire cars weeks in advance/take cars for test drives etc. My current ones need tools, and crucially someone with two working hands to fit.

A thing to pull the zips on my dresses up which fits onto fine zips, and is not just a stick with a cup hook on <rolls eyes>

And something that allows me to cycle without just using my good hand (cos if your 6 year old wants to go on cycle tracks, your good arm will soon get very overworked). Currently, I have something lashed up from an old forearm splint, velcro, bar ends and gloves, but it looks appalling.

Wherin lies the issue - I may have acquired a disability, but I have not lost any sense of style with that, and I still want to go places on my own and try and do everything physically possible.

KatyMac Tue 26-Mar-13 08:57:24

Are they 2 different groups Fixperts & Fixpests?

Or am I missing something

This work is also done my a group called 'Remap' I think

Tee2072 Tue 26-Mar-13 08:32:14

Interesting idea.

SoupDreggon Tue 26-Mar-13 07:56:42

But if they can invent a stasis cupboard where I can stash my three children for 30 minutes of bicker-free peace, that would be fab.

SoupDreggon Tue 26-Mar-13 07:55:28

don't quite understand the sock thing - my mum was given a sock-putting-on-aid after her hip replacement a few years ago.

Having seen the paramedic "fix" I"d be bloody good as a Fixpert too! It's the sort of thing I do naturally anyway.

Can I be a fixpert? I'd be amazing

LaVita, thread the car seat straps through the neck of the DCs top and out at the tummy, fasten as usual, no chance of escape! (Only works for 5-point harnesses that have the shoulder and lap belts separate)
If shoulder and lap belts are joined, once the DC is strapped in but before tightening the belt, put a cardigan backwards on the DC and round the shoulder straps, and button the top button behind their neck/shoulders.
<escapologist children vs engineer mumgrin>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now