new Year 7s

(114 Posts)
bruffin Wed 05-Aug-09 23:29:13

Anyone else have homework for their new school?

DD has a science project to do and also a long book list for which she has to chose 2 to read and write about.

marymoocow Mon 17-Mar-14 20:28:07

Just 'found' this thread again. Can't believe our new year 7's are about to take their G.C.S.E's.....hope they all finally settled inwinkgrin

bruffin Thu 08-Oct-09 15:56:47

I have never heard of things like that happening in DC's school, Steamroller, but I'm sure it does in others.

My friend is a TA in another school and she says change over time is absolutely madness and she is pinned to the wall. When she has been into our school it is fairly orderly (as it can be for over a 1000 children moving around a school.

Steamroller Thu 08-Oct-09 15:12:01

Are these things normal at large state high school: kids smoking in toilets, kids smoking in playground, kids using mobiles in toilets, kids swearing loudly at each other (admittedly good-naturedly) in corridors?
Is this all normal and I'm just an out-of-touch old granny?!

bruffin Fri 02-Oct-09 22:57:25

I haven't rang the school about the bracelet yetblush I am hoping as it was a first offence they will let her pick it up. It was only a cheap one, but her friend bought it back from holiday for her, so sentimental value.

I am so glad the school doesn't make us buy the ingredients for cookery. We have to pay something like £12 and they supply everything except a box to bring it home in. I was dreading the dcs presenting me with a list on the morning they needed it!

cuppateaplease Fri 02-Oct-09 14:37:17

well....the flapjacks were more like a cookie but were actually really nice! mmmm might have to make some more at home now - he only made three!
Looks like they are making cheese scones next week. (I'm guessing as they just get the list of ingredients needed and not told what they are actually making) DS list includes cheese but not how much!
Ds had the cold too - but not too badly, so got sent in to school. Obviously alot of it about - hope everyone over it now
Fircone - sounds abit harsh having detention just because he's got small feet
Bruffin - will they not send the bracelet home with DD as you cannot get there easily?

bruffin Thu 01-Oct-09 16:31:25

LOL Fircone

DD had the cold this week, she was off monday but was desperate to go to school on tuesday as she missed her friends.

It can take a while for friendships to settle down in Yr 7 Cupateaplease, so don't worry too much yet.

DD isn't doing cooking yet, she is doing woodwork and making a box.

I am feeling a little guilty, I complained about the maths teacher because the class was absolute chaos and no work was being done, so they sent a "strict" teacher in to keep an eye on it. She noticed DD had a bracelet on and it was confiscated (She wore it guides the night before and forgot to take it off) I have to go up there and collect it which at the moment is not possible as I work and it's a train journey away.

fircone Thu 01-Oct-09 14:45:53

Hello

BEWARE: I nearly broke a tooth on ds's flapjacks he made last week. I had to be complimentary but I could have retiled the roof with them.

Ds getting along fine until this week. He had a couple of days off sick with an atrocious cold. Then when he went back he forgot his PE kit and got a detention. He was very upset. He could have avoided it by borrowing a games kit, but they don't have spare trainers in his size (2.5 or at a push with some tissue paper, 3) so he has to miss his lunch break today. He was ranting about discrimination against small-footed people when he got home.

cuppateaplease Thu 01-Oct-09 10:00:25

How is everyone getting on - have they all settled in yet?

DS has found an afterschool club he likes - computers naturally -he has avoided all attempts to get him into a sporty one!
He's still overawed I think by the sheer scale of everything and still hasn't learnt the names of everyone in his class!
Unfortunately he still hasn't found a 'friend' to be with during break either. sad He's never been good at social skills and isn't sporty - all the boys he does know go off to play football at break. I've spoken to the school and they are aware of it and are looking at ways of helping him. So quite pleased the school are being proactive - more help than we ever got at the primary!

He has started cooking - so far only done cous-cous and managed to cut his thumb chopping the onion! However no cous-cous brought home - apparantly he gave it to the sixth form to eat! This week it's flap jacks so I'm asking for them to come home grin

bruffin Thu 17-Sep-09 12:10:26

DD doesn't seem to have had too much homework and only one book covering.

She has thrown herself into school clubs. Been swim club twice this week, round the world club, guitar club, musical theatre and science tomorrow.Unfortunately looks like she has lost her swimming stuff(:

Am a little concerned a bit as she is finding the maths a bit easy and also english. She commented on something being a metaphor and her teacher said "we don't cover that yet" which surprises me as the school as some of the best english results in the country for a comprehensive.

It's early days yet, but i will keep an eye on it.

Steamroller Thu 17-Sep-09 10:52:15

This is great to be able to compare things on here! Thanks tethersend for information on CATS - why can't the school tell us this angry instead of chancing to find it on MN?! Dd still hasnt had any homework to speak of (just book-covering and the like)and we're getting to the end of Week 3. I've forced her to do something each night though, Spanish vocab or something, and once she starts she gets really into it. She's basically very keen & dying to get stuck in , so I feel it's a shame the school aren't making the most of that (esp as it won't last!).
Snogging teenagers: grin.None of that's been reported by Dd yet. She did see 6th formers smoking in playground, though - I was old-fogey shocked - am I an out of touch old fogey?Is that normal at school?? I guess it's legal if they're over 16, and they're outdoors...

Oh yes we had to cover books as well. what joy lol.

WhiteElefant Thu 17-Sep-09 10:22:28

So pleased to have found this thread, its good to know we are not the only ones to have had fun with sticky backed plasticsmile
Fortunatly I was at work on Tuesday when DD came home and said that she needed to cover her books, some needing to be done by the next day, she had known about this since previous week but hadnt thought to mention ithmm So DH had to go off to buy some sticky backed plastic and then landed up covering her books for her.
DD is just far too laid back and easily distracted, I think I am going to have to stand over her to make sure she gets her homework done.

Hi all, I have only just found this thread.

DS1 started school on the 7th, he is one of 2 from his primary school. He was the only one until the other mum decided that she wanted her son with ds1 as they could look after eachother hmm.

He is getting on really well except 3 incidents in the first 4 days (she says with a raised eyebrow) first was typical of older students sending him the wrong way for a lesson so he was late, second on his second day someone stole his p.e shorts grrrr, and thirdly on his 4th day he got punched repeatedly by a grp of yr 8 students for standing on a coin they were playing with. He didn't know he had stood on it as he was walking across the playground. I have to say the school have acted on all 3 things so that is good.

My major achievement was to let him go to school alone. And today he has taken himself from home to school, normally I walk him to the bus stop and make sure he gets on the bus.

He has been put in the top set for maths, english and science and already has a merit for french. (sorry not bragging there but just re read it and it looks that way).

Just waiting for a call now to tell me he has got to school ok.....

Pyrocanthus Wed 16-Sep-09 20:17:52

DD seems to have to write a history of the Middle Ages this week. hmm

Mumwhensdinneready Wed 16-Sep-09 19:25:54

3 or 4 subjects of homework a night here.Not too demanding so far, he spends about 45 minutes a night on it.

I always thought DS's primary school gave too much homework. He used to get maths and English every weekend and was expected to spend 2 hours a week on it.
However it has stood him in good stead for year 7 because he's used to doing homework.

Dazmum Mon 14-Sep-09 11:03:37

cuppateaplease, great idea! just had a look, about 69p each. DH has only been asked to cover one so far....

cuppateaplease Mon 14-Sep-09 09:08:41

Ds has been doing just a little bit of homework each night - not really enough, which is why he had to do quite a bit over the weekend. School recommend that 30mins is needed for each subject - as he is due to get 2 or 3 subjects each night that could be 90 minutes every night! I do feel that sometimes homework is an over rated part of schooling.

We've managed to cover some more books with the stickyback plastic. I always feel you need six arms to get it right. I get Ds to help hold it in place while i try to smooth it accross with a ruler but still manage to get air bubbles. When they're really bad I've been poking the bubbles with a pin and then trying to smooth the air out. mmmmm....... just been thinking there must be a better method than this and remember I've seen plastic covers that go over excercise books and text books - similar to library book covers - must investigate.......

Schoolsec Sun 13-Sep-09 21:13:45

like getting blood out of a stone trying to get DS1 to do homework.Knew I should have booked myself into the Priory for all of Sept..

mollyroger Sun 13-Sep-09 20:40:38

we are avaragin an hour a night so far shock and this is the 'easy' stuff....

moodyblue Sun 13-Sep-09 18:32:00

Can I join in? DS started year 7 last week. Felt compelled to join in after reading through the posts and laughing at the sticky backed plastic experiences!! DS did offer to have a go at doing his himself but my perfectionist tendency reared its head and made me do it myself even though my lack of spatial awareness meant that I probably made more of a hash of it than he would have!!

Have also had the shock of loads of homework and organisational nightmares. He's loving it though which is great grin

fircone Sun 13-Sep-09 12:57:05

Well done to your ds, hatesponge.

I have been covering books like mad. They are very wrinkly. And (I hope ds doesn't notice before he goes to school tomorrow) I managed to snip through the cover of one of his exercise books. I've tried to repair it but it does not look good [fearful emoticon]

hatesponge Sun 13-Sep-09 11:38:53

Am feeling a bit better now as have spoken to DS's friends mum (friend goes to one of the 'better' local schools). Their homework this week was to cover their books

Also DS has got into the year 7 football first team - the teacher was really impressed with him & said he showed real flair & strength (this is quite a big deal for DS as he is quite overweight although sporty, and tends to be written off just on appearance even though he is very good at footie). DS is beaming grin & so I'm feeling quite happy with the school at the moment!

mum71 Sun 13-Sep-09 00:01:32

My DD started year 7 on Monday. I picked her up (has been catching the bus though since Tues) she was as white as a sheet and dragging her bag on the floor. I told her to "pick it up it's brand new". She said "I can't it's full of books and I have 4 lots of homework". I could barely lift the bag myself. She has had 2-3 lots of homework everyday since. It's been a bit of a surprise as she had absolutely nothing of note in primary school.

I must say that after the initial shock though she has really embraced it. The homework they have set has been lovely and hasn't taken too long.

She loves all her new books and has been showing DS what he has to look forward to. Even teaching us a bit of Spanish! DH and I have been looking at her books with longing, we really want to go back to school!

serenity Sat 12-Sep-09 15:23:09

I sent DH to get sticky backed plastic on Friday. We've got a veritable mountain of it in our local Smiths apparently, but it was slightly more expensive than the '20p a sheet' that DS1 was adamant the teacher had said it was...

I have been a bad mother I have to say. I couldn't face DS1 making a hash of covering his books so I did it for him blush

We haven't had much homework either - mainly the book covering, and a couple of small pieces of writing. I'm quite grateful that they're doing it slowly though. To suddenly jump from the holidays to an hour/half every night would be a bit overwhelming.

No CATs here, but the school had an entrance exam which probably did the same thing. They split all the applicants into 5 bands then took an equal amount from each. DS1's tutor group, and therefore all the people he has class with, is all from the same band (which I can guess, but we aren't told)

fircone Sat 12-Sep-09 14:46:25

I did a flying leap in Smith's this morning and grabbed the last roll of sticky stuff. Ds has begged to be allowed to do all his covering tomorrow, as he can't face the stress today.

The roll of sticky stuff came in handy to beat ds with when he refused to spend the Smith's token he'd had for his birthday on a French dictionary. Can't think why he preferred to choose two magazines, a drum of Oreos and a Wispa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now