Do you always take you DD/DC to a school open day?

(9 Posts)
hutchblue Sat 01-Oct-16 15:18:18

Hi
I was thinking to go to an open morning for a school locally - but when I got the invite, it said this place is for:

"parent and year 6 daughter only".

Do I have to bring DD?
She is not in year 6 yet...
I don't want to get into trouble!
Should I cancel the invite?

Or do you sometimes go to schools alone?

I thought it was OK to visit the year before Year 6?

Thanks for any thoughts.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 01-Oct-16 15:19:39

Most people visit in year five.

almightygirl Sat 01-Oct-16 15:24:49

I went by myself in year 5 to get a feel for the school. We've gone back this year (yr 6) with ds. Interestingly, our 1st choice last year is now our 3rd, so a lot can change in that time.

PigeonPie Sat 01-Oct-16 15:25:35

We certainly took DS1 (and DS2 had to tag) along when he was in year 5. It was really useful as this year looking round in year 6 it's meant we actually knew the 'right' questions to ask which we missed last year.

Certainly think you should take your child though - it's not you that has to go there !

AnguaResurgam Sat 01-Oct-16 15:32:09

I visited quite a lot of schools (alone) in year 5, and took DC with me only when in year 6 and only to the schools I though there was some prospect of getting an offer from.

I think it's reasonable to restrict potential pupils to those in the run up to their entry point. Popular schools really are having to grapple with numbers, and year 6 need to be the priority. And people would probably bring any younger DC again in yr6 anyhow.

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't go alone.

hutchblue Sat 01-Oct-16 20:00:14

Yes it's a very oversubscribed school and that's why they are limiting numbers I would think.
Thanks for the feedback.
I should have mentioned, I called them before and asked to go with my DD but they said it's year 6 only.
So I thought oh I'll go on my own then but then the invitation came back with
"Parent and Year 6 daughter"

It's the AND bit in the invitiation. And we have to show the invite on our iphones to get in.

And I'm like oh no! I don't want to break the rules!!!
I'll just cancel it then as I don't want to take up a place for someone else though so far it doesn't show as full.
It just feels late to be leaving the choice to Year 6.
I'm just your usual panicky sort of Mum for this sort of thing...
Honestly, it's like getting into Eton these days to the secondary school of your choice. Grrrr.

almightygirl Sat 01-Oct-16 22:19:01

My hat is unusual. Round here (London) plenty of parents visit schools without their dcs.

You could always try to make an appointment to see the school during the day.

almightygirl Sat 01-Oct-16 22:19:37

My hat?! Bloody autocorrect! *That is

Stickerrocks Sun 02-Oct-16 07:23:23

Lots of schools have a more general open evening which I would suggest you attend. The open mornings in my area tend to be to give year 6 parents & DC who are finding it hard to make a decision a closer look. I would have another word with the school to see how many places there are. Imagine yourself in the same position next year (when you will probably want another look anyway). How would you feel if you couldn't get a place as year 5s were cluttering things up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now