Parent /Governor sexual affair.

(18 Posts)
trampandunfitmother1 Thu 19-May-16 13:01:50

One of the school governors at our independent school is having an affair with a school parent, they are married and have children at school, is this an issue or am i being prudish?

Cel982 Thu 19-May-16 13:03:27

Well, I'm sure it's an issue for them and their families. But not really any of your business.

wonderpants Thu 19-May-16 13:05:22

My husband is a school governor and we sometime have sex and our children are at the school! smile

DelphiBlue Thu 19-May-16 13:08:12

wonderpants I think OP means they're cheating on their spouses with eachother

IWILLgiveupsugar Thu 19-May-16 13:11:22

Nothing to do with you. As much as I disapprove of people cheating on their spouses and not even having the decency or sense to be discreet, their behaviour does not affect you at all.

trampandunfitmother1 Thu 19-May-16 13:12:01

blush
I knew I should of expanded or used appropriate grammar.
They are not married to each other.
My concern has been in the past that this governor has used their position to influence decisions surrounding their child at school, which has affected other children in the class.
Now I know that affairs/sexual attraction happens,, I'm uncomfortable at the lack of respect for the other parents and how the ripples of this affect all the children.

Goingtobeawesome Thu 19-May-16 13:13:44

It's obvious they are having an affair. Some posters like to try and be funny or pedantic. Maybe even patronising.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 19-May-16 13:14:16

Omg I've had sex with a school governor too! And we have a child at the school! Heck we're both married to each other!

On a more serious note, the relationship is inappropriate but does it stop them carrying out their governor duties?

How do you know about it? If it's common knowledge I wouldn't expect the governor to remain so for long.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 19-May-16 13:16:13

X-posted. That sounds like two separate issues. If you feel they are abusing their position as a governor that's one issue.

An inappropriate relationship is another.

Either or both may need tackling but we don't really have enough info to say.

IWILLgiveupsugar Thu 19-May-16 13:20:44

If at some point in the future you saw behaviour that indicated favouritism towards the affair partner's child, then you could raise it as a conflict of interest, or if they are favouring their oen child then by all means complain about abuse of position. But in the meantime, say and do nothing because while their behaviour is morally repugnant, it isn't actually illegal!

trampandunfitmother1 Thu 19-May-16 13:21:00

Thanks for the responses, I think.
X- you are right, there are two separate issues.
I think the later(The Affair) highlighted the first(Influencing classroom based decisions).
I'm trying to decided if i should do anything, why I would do anything and wondering out loud on mumsnet.

urbanfox1337 Thu 19-May-16 17:15:37

First the affair is nobody's business except theirs and their families. Unless you are a brave close personal friend and want to inform them of their spouses infidelity.

What could a governor do that would favour an individual pupil, their role really has nothing to do with individual students, or even individual classes.

Lastly, having been a governor in past, you can't help but have information from your children and other parents experiences about things that occur at school and its not wrong to allow that information to inform you. For example you might raise a query about a feeling that their is a lack of homework. But you would never raise the issue about an individual pupils lack of homework. In the rare instance where something serious was discussed about a specific child, their identity was always censored.

All the board meetings should have the minutes of every meeting publicly available, so it wouldn't be hard to find the facts out rather than relying on rumors intermingled with salacious gossip of the affair.

lljkk Thu 19-May-16 17:34:44

this governor has used their position to influence decisions surrounding their child at school
That shouldn't have happened sad. School is lousy if they let that happen.

I'm uncomfortable at the lack of respect for the other parents
How does it show no respect for other parents, presuming OP doesn't merely mean their spouses. confused

^ and how the ripples of this affect all the children^
What ripples? confused

urbanfox1337 Thu 19-May-16 17:43:16

Maybe its a religious school and this is code for moral snobbishness?

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 19-May-16 17:45:40

OMG I want to know what school!!!! I bet their Bursar is where I am right now

Chewbecca Fri 20-May-16 11:54:37

When I was a parent governor, I had no impact on the treatment of individual children or classes, it was much more strategic. The day to day running of school was the responsibility of the head and SMT.

I guess the most impact I might have had was in determing which toilets were to be re-furnished (was on buildings committee) and stopping the use of a swimming pool that was filthy. But they were always in the interests of all children.

In what way did the governor's actions influence classroom decisions affecting their child?

Affair is a separate matter.

t4gnut Fri 20-May-16 11:59:10

Perception may be that governors get more favourable treatment - reality is this is not the case.

Rest of it is none of your business.

GinandJag Fri 20-May-16 17:01:43

I am surprised that a parent is a trustee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now