Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Any year seven English teachers around?

(27 Posts)
goats Tue 08-Jul-14 17:59:11

I just wondered if dd would likely be in bottom set in your school. Level 4a writing, 5c reading, level 3 spelling and grammar

I think possibly set 4 (of 5) at my school. Is she dyslexic - hence the low spag?

MaureenMLove Tue 08-Jul-14 18:16:56

Probably a set 4 at my school too. I do hate the term bottom set though! It's about putting them in the set which best suits their needs. Try to reinforce that it's not the bottom set! winksmile

goats Tue 08-Jul-14 18:20:46

Thanks both . her primary refers to it as bottom currently so apologies!

She has a dyspraxic diagnoses amongst others but think we will have a dyslexic diagnoses once she hits secondary.

BucksKid Tue 08-Jul-14 19:42:06

Bloody hell.

5c in reading and 4a in writing. So above avg in both of them and set 4?

Why?

goats Tue 08-Jul-14 19:57:15

Her spelling is truly awful and been told that is what made the difference to the spag score.

Springcleanish Tue 08-Jul-14 20:00:09

Middle group at ours, high achieving comp, we never set based on SPAG, but a combination of reading and writing.

goats Tue 08-Jul-14 20:03:28

Can I ask will they merge literacy scores or will secondary get them separate like that?

littlesupersparks Tue 08-Jul-14 20:05:38

We don't do any setting but I would say she would be middling here and get support with spag through spelling challenge probably. A level 5 is pretty good - although most of our students appear to drop once they come to us - I'm not sure what the levels are that our local primary schools are using tbf!!!

littlesupersparks Tue 08-Jul-14 20:06:39

They will get them separate. I'm completely amazed any school would set on entry though - I would have thought they would undertake their own baseline assessments and CAT testing.

BucksKid Tue 08-Jul-14 20:15:44

I'm completely amazed any school would set based on SPaG - when it's only the 2nd year of the test (I think)

Teachers - does your school really set based on SPaG results?

ravenAK Tue 08-Jul-14 20:19:33

Probably set 3 out of 4 for us, but then we stream Y7 & then set in Y8, so I do have a few level 4s in my set 2.

goats Tue 08-Jul-14 20:20:50

I don't think they set on spag tests , I assumed it was a mix of all three. They are in temp sets until October.

goats Tue 08-Jul-14 20:21:31

Think they do the cat test in October.

BucksKid Tue 08-Jul-14 20:22:46

But the mix of all 3 would be a 4. Which is a perfectly respectable score.

goats Tue 08-Jul-14 20:24:46

Thanks Buck. At the start of the year she was a 1a/2c so has come on massively!

BucksKid Tue 08-Jul-14 20:27:22

You mean she's made 6 years progress in one year?

How did she do that?

goats Tue 08-Jul-14 20:27:44

What I was wondering really is if they would hold her back lower due to her spelling/grammar despite being OK in the other areas because they felt her spelling and grammar would not cope with the level four work if that makes any sense!

loveableshoulder Tue 08-Jul-14 20:32:13

She'd be in middle set at my school - we have too and bottom separate and everyone else in between. She wouldn't be lowest by a long shot. We do get quite good results. She may well be identified as needing spag intervention though.

goats Tue 08-Jul-14 20:37:38

At end of year 2 she was a 2a reading 2c writing 2c maths.

But was very heavily supported in class.

At the start of juniors there was no longer a TA. Dd struggles with processing and remembering instructions and getting info down on to paper and fell apart. At the end of year 5 she was a 4 for reading and a 1a/2c in optional SATs. She could tell you verbally but could not get it on paper.

She finally got a diagnoses in year five and massive support put in place. Her reading has always been very good but she uses her own method to read.

She has had very heavy writing support this year and maths has just clicked with help at home and school. She could always do it verbally she just couldn't get it down on paper.

Curioushorse Tue 08-Jul-14 20:42:10

Ha ha! Come to my school. She'd be in the top set! We definitely wouldn't set for SpaG. But, like most schools we completely ignore KS2 SATs anyway and she'd have a separate tedt in September. It's that we'd use for setting.

BucksKid Tue 08-Jul-14 20:42:45

Does she still need 'very heavy support'?

Did she have extra time or a reader or a scribe or movement breaks in her SATs?

goats Tue 08-Jul-14 20:49:51

Not sure Bucks. She has been having sessions three times a week all year.

She didn't have a reader or scribe or anything as far as I know. Not sure about extra time.

She could always tell you verbally but her writing ability was holding her back. Her writing has improved massively. You can actually read it now for a start. Just her spelling and some grammar is poor still.

BucksKid Tue 08-Jul-14 20:52:26

I think the question you need answered is 'what support will she need at secondary' and 'will she get it'

What set she is in is irrelevant if she needs more support than she gets.

Agggghast Wed 09-Jul-14 02:12:25

We teach in tutor groups for the first term so mixed ability and then set in core subjects from January, works well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now