can you pass the eleven plus without tutoring? any experience.

(32 Posts)
iamnotaprincess Thu 13-Mar-14 20:19:48

We have suddenly decided to enter ds for the eleven plus next Sept. He is a year 5 with level 5 in both maths and literacy and on target to get level 6. He is super geeky. Do you think we are setting him up for failure if we don't go down the tutoring route? I will get him to do a few papers in the summer, is that sufficient? Dp and myself are not British, so this whole thing a bit new. Honest answers appreciated.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Fri 14-Mar-14 14:59:01

I found the 11+ forum incredibly helpful for home tutoring. We didn't have any professional tutoring but we spent lots of time with ds just going through practice papers and reinforcing what he already knew (or in some cases should have known!) from school. Lots of exam technique, lots of vocab, and in the last stages lots of timed tests.

One thing that let ds down at first was his tendency to make silly mistakes and not reading the question. This was especially important in the maths paper, where the actual arithmetic was pretty easy, but the questions were phrased in a way that required lots of concentration.

The other thing I would say is that it really helps to have a willing subject. Ds really enjoyed the work, we never felt we had to drag him kicking and screaming to do the papers. He did it because he liked the school we were aiming for, and he found the work interesting. I can well imagine that for some parents that might be easier with a professional tutor - my relationship with my son was more important to me than getting into a particular school.

Idratherbemuckingout Fri 14-Mar-14 15:10:51

Back in the day no-one had any tutoring and it didn't matter. Nowadays you put your child at a disadvantage by not doing it, as others who are less bright but better tutored might take your brighter child's place if you do not level the playing field.
Although, having said that, how does anyone know that all levels of tutoring are the same? One child might receive distinctly more than another, and another child might receive less, but better more focussed tutoring. So it is still not fair.
The only thing that would make it fair would be if no-one tutored, or if, as suggested, there was a test (like the Eton test) that you could not prepare for. Supposedly.

SweetPenelope Fri 14-Mar-14 18:37:44

I would look at the actual school websites to find out what is in the tests and not just listen to possibly out of date advice.

One mum at school was shocked after her son took the Tiffin test that there were 80 questions in 50 minutes. It shouldn't be a surprise when it is stated clearly on the website.

Ferguson Fri 14-Mar-14 23:20:45

You have had plenty of useful replies, but besides the expected standards in English and Maths, in some areas it is the 'verbal and non-verbal reasoning' papers that are hardest, because they are so different from anything normally encountered in an ordinary primary school.

So get all the info you can from the schools in your area, and then find practice papers to cover them.

As others said, read the questions carefully, and make sure you understand it and answer what they are asking. Relax and don't fret! (Pupil and parents!)

iamnotaprincess Sat 15-Mar-14 07:17:53

Thank you, lots of good advice. I will keep you posted and see if ds gets in.

goldwillow Sun 16-Mar-14 03:38:18

This is my first post on here, so please forgive me for jumping in on an already established discussion but I would like to add that my DD failed her 11+ because we decided not to get tutoring for her. If we had she may well have passed. I dont know. Personally I think tutoring for 11+ is wrong as it hides real ability and puts children of less ability into a situation they may not be able to cope with, but equally now, our daughter has the ability and would do very well at a grammar and cant go. We are in the middle of an appeal. I didnt want to make an issue of the whole grammar school thing and we are only doing this because her current head feels very strongly that our girl needs to go to grammar rather than the local comp!(we have needed to be convinced!) I dont think the head has any hidden agendas here, but neither did I think my dd was anything other than average and maybe it was just because she is in a small school or something, I just dont know. I am confused by the whole thing, and just hope when it comes to our next child, we dont have to go through this again!

Bemused33 Sun 16-Mar-14 23:57:32

Dd did four practice papers of half an hour each and passed. I slid down the wall when we got the letter. Private tutoring is massive here !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now