Do the schools ever find out where you put them on the CAF list

(36 Posts)
dorisbumble Sat 26-Oct-13 10:07:45

Hi filling in the CAF today and totally panicked. Is it only if you have to appeal that they see the CAF? Do they actually see the form at this stage?

Mattissy Sat 26-Oct-13 10:19:25

Sorry, I don't know what CAF is?

Mattissy Sat 26-Oct-13 10:25:58

Hmm, do you mean where you put them on the preference list?

No, the school don't get to see the list, just that you've put them down.

tiggytape Sat 26-Oct-13 10:27:13

The schools never see it and they never know where you put them.

If you go to appeal, the representative for the school or the LA will perhaps know but it wouldn't have much bearing on things.

titchy Sat 26-Oct-13 10:27:17

Common application form. No they never see it, not even if you appeal , that's a different form.

Blu Sat 26-Oct-13 18:28:37

No, and it makes no difference to the success of your application to that school where you put it in the list.

What is making you panic?

dorisbumble Sat 26-Oct-13 19:04:37

Got through grammar selection but no idea how far up. If tiwards bottom end of the selection my fourth fifth and 6th choices may be full of first choices as all over subscribed that leaves it up to la to give me left over places. Hence panic -don't want 4th to find out at appeal and jeopardise decision.

tiggytape Sat 26-Oct-13 20:22:23

my fourth fifth and 6th choices may be full of first choices as all over subscribed

doris - This is not how it works. Your 4th choice school never knows it was your 4th choice. For all they know, they might be your 1st choice or your 6th choice. You get treated the same no matter where you placed them
And no school ever fills up the places first with applicants who listed it 1st. That is illegal.

I just posted this on another thread about how places are allocated assuming there are 120 to assign:

The people who get the 120 places are:

- the people who listed the school somewhere (anywhere) on their form
- but who didn't qualify for any of the other schools they listed higher up than this one
- and do qualify for this one more than other applicants probably by living a bit closer to the school than other people who applied or by scoring a higher mark in the 11+ exam or by having a letter from the vicar (or whatever the admission criteria says it values the most and gives most priority to).

This is how someone who listed it 1st can easily be rejected in favour of someone who listed it 4th (even if they live nextdoor to each other or even if one child scored just 2 marks higher that the rejected child in the test).

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 20:33:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MirandaWest Sat 26-Oct-13 20:36:24

Either because they don't know how the admissions system works. Or because they are saying that if it's actually where you want to go you should put it first (if you put somewhere else first and get a place there you won't go to that school).

dorisbumble Sat 26-Oct-13 20:37:31

Thanks Tiggytape. I'm wondering why the heads say to put them first like weretrickspotter said earlier?

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 20:40:32

dorisbumble Sat 26-Oct-13 20:40:43

Okay. Can relax ever so slightly until March so!

tiggytape Sat 26-Oct-13 20:52:19

Mostly it is to scare you into putting them first either because the Head is playing on parent's fears to fill seats or is just not up to date and thinks we are operating under the system as it was 20 years ago (when putting a school first could matter).

The council gives you a place at the highest ranked school you qualify for. If you qualify for every single school you listed, whichever one you place at number 1 you will get.

But most people aren't in that position. Most of us qualify for 1 school or 2 at most. So you can comfortably put your dream (unlikely) school at number 1 knowing that you have a safe option that will always be your back-up no matter where you list it. If you qualify for school number 4 and 6, you will get number 4. If you qualify for school number 6 only, you will get number 6.

If you have a sibling at the school that says "put us first" (assuming they have siblings high up in their admissions criteria like most schools do) then you will still get a place even if you put them 6th after 5 totally impossible but ideal-world choices.

dorisbumble Sat 26-Oct-13 20:54:09

I think schools get info on numbers of applications and their rankings. Maybe that's why they want you to list them higher on the caf? Ego?

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 20:57:06

WereTricksPotter Sat 26-Oct-13 20:58:48

Whereisegg Sat 26-Oct-13 21:16:32

Yes I recently started a thread as our favourite non grammar school told us that if we didn't put them as first choice, we wouldn't get a place.

It was at the open evening so probably lots of panicking parents.

MN put me straight smile

Good luck op!

admission Sat 26-Oct-13 21:55:55

Head teacher who make these statements that you must put their school down as first preference or you have no chance of getting a place are plainly incorrect, either through ignorance of the admission system or deliberately trying to manipulate you into making a potentially wrong decision.
There is however an interesting thought, the code is clear that if someone in authority, such as the head teacher, says you have a place then that is taken as fact. Where the head says if you do not put us down as first preference you will not get a place how far away are they away from saying if you put us down as first priority you are "guaranteed" a place. I would suggest not that far.

MarinaResurgens Sun 27-Oct-13 00:04:46

We had this happen too, whereisegg. It was a church school, too hmm
Luckily we knew better than to believe that nonsense (second time round for us) but I wonder how many parents panicked at that point

tiggytape Sun 27-Oct-13 09:05:03

That 'additional information' bit? Does it mean anything if not backed up by professional documentation that bumps you up the specific admissions criteria for individual schools?

Yes - it needs to be something that will bump you up the criteria and usually you need proof eg things like medical conditions need evidence that they exist and preferably also evidence that a professional judges that the school you are asking for meets these needs.

For sibling links, they normally ask for the name and the DOB of the sibling so they can check they exist and also that they are registered at the same address as the one you are applying from

You are free to write whatever you want but it won't increase your chance of getting a place unless it is something that bumps you up the admissions criteria. If it is, proof is needed because the places have to be allocated fairly and accurately.

edam Sun 27-Oct-13 09:15:34

Drat, wish I'd checked with MN rather than believed what another parent (whose eldest went up to secondary two years ago) told me.

Never mind, we are equally happy to get either our first or second places, both good schools. First choice is nearer our house, 12 minutes walk instead of 20, so I'm confident we'll get it. But it seems we would have got it whether we'd put it first or fourth...

Felt v. odd having to put four schools down. I can see how it works for the county, because there are a few big towns where there are four or more secondaries, but we live in a small town where there are three - and number three is a church school that ds stands no chance of getting in to (fortunately it's our least favourite anyway).

We had to put a school in the nearest big town that is horribly over-subscribed and ds would never get into in a month of Sundays, just to fill up the form. Madness.

Whereisegg Sun 27-Oct-13 09:23:59

I totally panicked grin

tiggytape Sun 27-Oct-13 10:26:15

edam - if you are unhappy with your choices, you can change them up until the deadline (Thursday).

If you applied online, you can edit the application form this week but you MUST then press SUBMIT again at the end.

WereTricksPotter Sun 27-Oct-13 12:47:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now