School refusing to tell DS his GCSE Results

(64 Posts)
LocalSchoolMum Sat 24-Aug-13 07:10:30

My DS took 2 GCSEs this summer in Year 10: Maths and Biology. I think that the school put most off Year 10 in for the Maths GCSE, going back on an earlier promise to only make them take it when they were ready to get the best mark they could get.

When we went to ask for his results on Friday, they said that they intended to give them out on the 1st day of next term - 9th September. Does anyone know whether other schools do this?

I thought it was pretty barbaric.

englishteacher78 Sat 24-Aug-13 09:33:46

Potentially, I would be angry with the person I'd asked to collect the results not collecting them when asked.

camptownraces Sat 24-Aug-13 09:34:51

If neither the candidate nor the parent could take time out of their busy schedules to come in to collect the result on the appointed day, at the appointed time, why would you expect the school to rearrange the busy schedules of their staff?

And yes, their staff are incredibly busy at the moment arranging a whole year's new work, don 't for a moment imagine the staff are on holiday.

flipchart Sat 24-Aug-13 09:37:30

Barbaric? extraordinary cruel?
Get a fucking grip!
Annoying maybe

SPBisResisting Sat 24-Aug-13 09:48:02

camp, because the asked and the school said yes
if she was on here ranting because they'd said no I'd be saying YABU, but they said yes then said no when it was too late
Am I the only person who sees that?

TheFallenMadonna Sat 24-Aug-13 09:50:40

Nope- I'd be annoyed too, with the misinformation.

christinarossetti Sat 24-Aug-13 09:54:47

No we've all got that there was some misinformation (although it's not clear if sh specified he wanted to pick up Y10 results).

Being a bit annoyed - yep fine got you.

Calling if barbaric and extraordinarily cry - workers over reaction.

Still no idea ager OP's ds minds or not.

christinarossetti Sat 24-Aug-13 09:55:16

Bonkers over reaction I meant to say.

Ponders Sat 24-Aug-13 09:59:21

Maybe the DP is fibbing & forgot to go on Thu so made up the phone call...

I'd be surprised if a school would tell a random parent on the phone they could stroll in for something like this without pre-arrangement; & anyway it does make much more sense for them all to be handed out together in the new term.

I collected DS2's GCSE results because he was away but I had to give the school his written consent beforehand

NoComet Sat 24-Aug-13 10:16:28

Science didn't even bother to tell them when the y10 core science marks would be available.

However, when I looked on the online reporing system that said 6am on the 23 and they were there at 6.45 when I happened to wake up.

The exam office are far more in the ball than the science dept. which is just as well or some people wouldn't be in the right places at the right time.

NoComet Sat 24-Aug-13 10:49:27

I'm with the OP it's damned disrespectful in this E world not to put the results on the school distance learning system or email them.

DCs work way harder than we did and deserve a weeks holiday not thinking about results.

OPs DS can't help thinking about them as results are all over the news

englishteacher78 Sat 24-Aug-13 11:01:12

There were available though. They weren't collected.

NoComet Sat 24-Aug-13 11:47:24

The OPs DH asked if he could go on Friday, this definitely the school being unnecessarily shitty for the effort of sending one Email. Totally disrespectful of the work the DCs put in.

nennypops Sat 24-Aug-13 12:35:49

Many of us give up our time to come in on results day

I wouldn't view this as giving up my time. We are after all paid throughout the holidays.

Cerisier Sat 24-Aug-13 12:36:22

Our school has an e-portal where results are posted up for students. You log on and can see your results from anywhere in the world.

It seems strange in this day and age that some students have to go into school or wait for the post to get their results. You would have thought things would have moved on for everybody by now.

OP if the school really did say that to DH then that is not good. However it was a shame he couldn't go in on the appointed day.

LoopyLoopyLoopy Sat 24-Aug-13 12:40:30

No, nanny, teachers are not paid for the holidays.

LoopyLoopyLoopy Sat 24-Aug-13 12:40:56

nenny

englishteacher78 Sat 24-Aug-13 12:45:35

Indeed we're not. We're paid for what we work but it is spread over the full 12 months.

Chopchopbusybusy Sat 24-Aug-13 12:48:19

Barbaric? Extraordinarily cruel? Disrespectful? Massive overreaction. Year 10 results can wait.

noblegiraffe Sat 24-Aug-13 12:51:32

Yes, if we were paid for the holidays we could be told to come in on results day, instead of just asking for volunteers! It's not directed time.

glaurung Sat 24-Aug-13 13:10:32

dd's school didn't give the yr 10s their module results (they didn't do any full GCSEs) until they went back. Then the subject teachers wanted to give the results out in class so they had to wait until the right lesson came up in the timetable (which took one over the next weekend) before getting them. Annoying (especially when wondering if resits might be required), but not the end of the world. They've waited 2 months already so another couple of weeks doesn't make that much difference.

ravenAK Sat 24-Aug-13 13:14:05

Also, lots of schools make a big hoohah of giving out year 10 results all together. It focuses the minds of the less motivated - which is intended to engender a more serious approach to year 11 study.

Yes, a minor cock up was made by whoever told OP's dh that he could collect the result on Friday, but 'cruel teachers' is somewhat hyperbolic!

& yes, we are on holiday & don't get paid to go in & give out results.

NoComet Sat 24-Aug-13 14:24:00

DD put in a huge amount of work for her science GCSE, I'm glad that school respected that and put Y10 marks up on the e-portal, as I'm sure they have the Y11-13's.

For her it's vital to her future to get good science marks and she both wanted to know and know in private!

Lomaamina Sat 24-Aug-13 14:31:10

I sympathise OP. My DS Year 10 was able to see his lone GCSE result on the online system. Maybe you should push for this to be available in time for next year?

goingmadinthecountry Sun 25-Aug-13 00:09:36

If your hairdressing appointment is on Thursday that's when you go in. Don 't expect to get your hair cut on Friday. How much does your son's education matter? Teachers aren't required to come into school in the holidays at all. Tough - you messed up.

SPBisResisting Sun 25-Aug-13 07:12:51

Unless of course you ring up and change your hairdressing appointment to friday a d get told thishhas been done for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now