Bursary waiting list-any chance?

(68 Posts)
ariane5 Sun 03-Mar-13 17:30:17

Dd1 was offered a full fee paying place at a wonderful school which we loved but we had applied for a bursary.

She is on the bursary waiting list but we have not heard back from the school so I assume it means she has no chance of a place?[Sad]

Has anybody ever been on a bursary list and gone on to get one?

shikin Mon 04-Mar-13 15:34:05

I'll cross my fingers for you too! I know how awful it is. At the end of the day, it will be small blip and I am sure DD knows you only have her best interest at heart and wanted to do the right thing for her.

middleclassonbursary Mon 04-Mar-13 16:35:28

There is no standard policy for bursaries it all depends on how wealthy the school is and how they choose the children for bursaries. In most schools there will be a bursar and although the head may have some input into who gets a bursary it is the bursar who holds the purse strings and does the number crunching and when the push comes to the shove both are implementing the wishes of the school governors. Neither of course know how many people will apply year on year and also how much money will be applied for. OP I suspect you've done nothing wrong or your DD for that matter but you've just been unlucky.
Splitbrain a relatively small group of senior schools eg Eton Winchester St Pauls and others who start in yr 9 are trying hard to move over to a needs blind admission policy although certainly Eton and Winchester are not yet offering many 100% bursaries most encourage parents to apply for a bursary early in the admission process to get an idea of what might be on the table if a place was offered. This is really the fairest way and saves disappointment like that very sadly being experienced by the OP and her DD.
Finally in all the years we've been on a bursary we have never had a home visit!

LIZS Mon 04-Mar-13 17:22:05

GDST Bursary page - however they do say full fee awards (for those with income of less than 19.5k with no assets) are rare but looks like they are handled by each school so that should be your first port of call.

snowday Mon 04-Mar-13 23:26:16

I have experience of bursaries for GDST.

The central GDST office works out the value of your bursary based on the information on the form you submit about your income etc.

The school you have applied for is told what amount of bursary you 'can' be offered.

Each school holds an amount of money for bursaries and has control of how they allocate their funds based on the information passed to them from the central office.

Lots of girls apply to GDST schools as they are known to offer a number of bursaries. These schools say they want to enable girls who would benefit from this type of EDUCATION to be able to attend and not be prohibited by lack of income.

They look at the highest scoring candidates who qualify for a bursary and decide how they want to allocate their money. A girl who scores very highly might be offered 100% if eligible for this amount. Girls scoring less well will be offered less if the money has been used higher up the ability list.

They want to admit the girls who excell in the exams and / or excell in areas such as music, sports and art.

Unfortunately there will be many girls who pass the exam who are looking for a bursary and realistically to get a substantial sum you have to really stand out as they want these girls in their school.

I speak from experience of being offered more than one 100% bursary.

middleclassonbursary Tue 05-Mar-13 08:18:47

"however they do say full fee awards (for those with income of less than 19.5k with no assets) are rare"
Sadly for the OP and many others 100% bursaries are rare it doesn't matter who you apply too.

ariane5 Mon 18-Mar-13 22:48:38

We got a bursary for dd!!

Not 100% but a high enough percentage for us to be able to. 'Top up' the difference! We had to sit down and go through all our finances but by reducing weekly food shopping bill, changing dh car insurance and getting rid of majority of our sky channels we can save a lot of money.

A lot of the expensive school trips we will not have to worry about as dd cannot do a lot of things due to health (skiing for example) so she couldn't have gone even if we had the money.

Luckily books, exam fees etc inc in fees so we can just scrape through.dd is so excited!

difficultpickle Mon 18-Mar-13 22:58:46

How fab! Congratulations. Not all children can afford to go on school trips even at private schools and you may find that having a bursary means you get the trips that are essential subsidised.

ariane5 Mon 18-Mar-13 23:07:56

I am not sure about subsidised trips but I will ask, the only big expense will be uniform but my parents have offered to help with that luckily-we had been hoping to get second hand but the school are changing the uniform for sep so we have to get dd new.

It was hard working out where we could cut back as have 3 other dcs and don't want them going without so we had to be careful but we can just manage it, dh will be working extra hours at weekends too so with a lot of careful planning, budgeting and hard work we will get there.

It is such a lovely school and so perfect for dd, I am beyond thrilled for her.

difficultpickle Mon 18-Mar-13 23:13:29

Are they changing all the uniform or just bits? Also check whether there are bits that you don't have to get from the school shop. I had to sit down when I bought ds's uniform (nearly £700). It was more than double his previous school uniform.

shikin Mon 18-Mar-13 23:17:02

what wonderful news!!! so happy for you and DD

ariane5 Mon 18-Mar-13 23:17:47

They are changing the whole uniform so it is bound to cost a lot. I am lucky that my parents can help a bit with that but they have made it clear they are in no position to help any further as do not have the money.
I will def check if some bits can be purchased cheaper elsewhere.
We did joke that if its too much dd will have to have it all far too big to grow into !

tiggytape Mon 18-Mar-13 23:19:32

Wonderful news. I am really pleased you got the offer and DD got the school she wants.

BadgerB Tue 19-Mar-13 05:53:10

So pleased for you! Hope your DD has a great time.

Timetoask Tue 19-Mar-13 06:28:22

Wonderful news! Your dd must feel so happy!
Considering that the top up of the fees needs so much careful planning from your part,may I suggest that you contact the school bursar and ask by what percentage have the fees increased in the past 5 years so that you can forecast the possible increase in future? Some increase fees by 2% others by as much as 4.5%, and it varies year on year.
All the best!

Katie172 Tue 19-Mar-13 07:31:17

Fantastic news Ariane! Wishing your dd all the best

5madthings Tue 19-Mar-13 07:36:43

Fabulous news!
Congratulations and well done to your dd!

lottieandmia Thu 21-Mar-13 14:23:30

Well done Ariane! I am so pleased for your and your dd that she got the bursary in the end.

Marmitelover55 Fri 22-Mar-13 11:41:15

That is really great news for your dd! I went to a gdst school - she will have a great education.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now