GCSE Choices 2013 (exams 2015) support thread

(207 Posts)
DizzyHoneyBee Mon 11-Feb-13 15:27:08

Here we go....options choices this month, exams in summer 2015. We're choosing options at the moment but I've not come across a support thread.

Does your DC know what they want to do already or are they needing a lot of help deciding?
Where have you gone for information?

We get a booklet this week apparently and then have a meeting at school to discuss listen to a sales pitch by the teachers discuss the options that are best and then we have about 2 weeks to make a decision.

Horsemad Sun 03-Mar-13 17:34:37

grin I think I may Sparkling!!

I remember it well from DS1 - it is chaotic!

creamteas Sun 03-Mar-13 22:31:16

sparkling it is worth finding out teachers think your DC would cope with the subject.

IME you also get an idea of your child's popularity in the staff room. At DS1's option evening the teachers were implicitly shouting 'pick me', 'pick me'. whereas for DS2 it seemed to be the opposite hmm

Sounds bit scary cream. I know his Art teacher wants him to take it but he doesn't want to do Art. Same with Geography. sad

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 22:43:56

Ds1'sfrench teacher went on about how good he was etc, and asked if he would be doing French, ds1 very tactfully said he wasn't sure... At home we know he hates French and it was never an option.

Tbh the evening wasa bit embarrassing for ds1and us as his teachers raved about him and wanted him to do their subject.I am thrilled he is doing so well but worry he has set the bar high for his siblings, ds2starts there in sept and he is a very different child... Bright but 'spirited'....

We have one of those DS2 types 5. grin Middle School here though so they don't get him at High School til Year 8.

DS1 wants to do German but not French. Tomorrow evening could be interesting/cringey grin

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 22:49:42

Yes it was def 'cringey'i feel like if I mention it I am one of 'those' parents with the perfect child. And then there is ds2... Ha ha!

creamteas Sun 03-Mar-13 22:55:26

GCSE option evenings are a bit of a strange experience, just have to get through the last one with DS3 now...

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 03-Mar-13 23:01:25

Evening all wine

Our letter goes in tomorrow. <Nervous laugh>
On my phone now but going to read all tomo. Seems ridiculous choosing options. DS really can't be old enough, can he?!

I can just imagine-

Art teacher to DS1 'Are you going to take Art?' DS1- 'I'm not sure yet Miss'.

Same question to DS2 in 3 years time-'No Miss'.

blush

Hi Piste. No they are not old enough for all this. sad

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 23:04:39

With ds2 it will be "no way I would rather eat my own puke" or some such wise added comment blush

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 23:05:18

Wise arsed comment...

grin 5. I can't rule him saying that out TBH. I assumed DS2 would be the same as DS1 but it hasn't worked like that. DH and I are fairly quiet people and so is DS1 but DS2's personality has come as a real shock!

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 23:15:08

Its funny how different they can be!

Ds3 is similar to ds1. Ds4 is similar to ds2... And dd...well not sure but at 26mths she already knows what she does and doesn't want...

I can't believe I have another four children to get through the high school and teen years... What was I thinking?!!

creamteas Sun 03-Mar-13 23:53:25

5 I have four, and the teen years get easier as you know the ropes, and stop fretting over the details. So with eldest I worried about what age to do this and that, but now I look back and see what a waste of time it was because teens do what they want with or without you

Two have now left home which is definitely easier grin

AmazingDisgrace Mon 04-Mar-13 00:01:25

Totally agree it gets easier with subsequent DCs..Fretted like mad for DD quite chilled out with DS1 who's just done his. Triple science History, Geography and Latin. Everything else was compulsory including his MFL in German

5madthings Mon 04-Mar-13 00:04:00

Oh so glad there is hope! Tbh we have had three days of grumpy teen and ds2 and ds3 bickering; poorly ds4, plus i have my period and a non sleeping toddler... Dp took them all out for a few hours today before i throttled them! Still tomorrow is another day grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Mar-13 10:30:52

We have had DS choosing GCSEs and DD choosing A levels, hers was much harder as it really will impact on the next steps after school.

In addition to the core subjects, he will do geography, history and electronics. He will do double science, and his language is German.

Can't believe he is old enough or mature enough. I vote we all have lots of gin lined up.

AmazingDisgrace Mon 04-Mar-13 10:43:20

DD chose her A levels a couple of months ago so the pressure is on now to ensure she gets the grades at GCSE. Yes gin and lots of it

Horsemad Mon 04-Mar-13 15:36:23

I find it weird that DS1 has chosen his A level subjects before he's done his GCSEs!

Logistically, I know it has to be done this way, but it felt very strange.

Sparkling - good luck for tonight grin

Thanks Horse. DS1 has come home with a 40 page booklet titled 'Options Pathways' and a form to put his choices with subject columns and 'reserve choices' boxes. confused

They had an assembly today and were told 'it's not as complicated as it seems'. Let's hope so.

Now what to wear..........

DizzyHoneyBee Mon 04-Mar-13 20:23:18

Sparkling, it's not as complicated as it seems when you get down to it. We had that booklet as well and the form sounds much the same.
We sent the form in last week and I've forgotten about it now, thankfully as we have Important Visitors at work the next two days (remember what my occupation is!)

Thanks Dizzy. Well we are back and he has lots of decisions to make re Triple/Double Science and the Baccalaureate thing. German and History a definite, probably Business Studies. The 4th choice is proving a bit harder.

DS1 says he's worried about how hard the next two years will be. sad

Horsemad Mon 04-Mar-13 23:01:30

It can be a bit daunting for them, but hopefully he has good teachers and it won't be too bad for him.

The teachers were lovely. It was a rare treat to actually go into the school. He goes on the coach. So I got to put some names to faces re teachers and his friends. smile

He has until the 15th to get the form back. They have vertical tutoring so I have told him to go in tomorrow and quiz some of the year 10s in his tutor group about what the subjects are like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now