Year 8 music lesson

(7 Posts)
gobbin Fri 18-Jan-13 13:52:12

Ah, 4 chord trick! We use I'll Be Missing You.

There's also a v gd Axis of Awesome vid on youtube where they sing loads of bits of songs over the same 4 chords. If you use it, fade it out as they use the motherf****r word right before the end!

Tgger Fri 18-Jan-13 10:07:57

Thanks again. May not go with Les Mis, am still mulling. I do love that song though, am trying to find one with easyisg chords so the lesson is about that, going on to play themselves...easy chord progression/ start to compose their own song.

gobbin Thu 17-Jan-13 23:13:56

Watch the pitch range, start on the right note for theirvoices as it goes quite low. Some bits are quite chromatic and can be a challenge to get right in a short space of time if you're keen on accuracy.

thehat Thu 17-Jan-13 22:54:15

Music teacher here. Les Mis sounds ok.

Whatever song you choose, make sure it is teaching the class something - so not just learning a song, but a very clear learning objective.

Tgger Thu 17-Jan-13 22:00:26

Thanks! Very helpful.

MordionAgenos Thu 17-Jan-13 21:32:51

My Y8 DS is happy to sing do you hear the people sing - he always joins in when my girls are singing that one. He wouldn't be happy singing empty chairs at empty tables - he mocks that one, a bit. Do you hear the people sing would also be easier to explain than empty chairs...for kids who haven't seen the show or the film, I suspect.

Tgger Thu 17-Jan-13 20:11:42

I have an interview for a teacher-training job for Secondary Music. I have to teach a Y8 class as part of the interview process. Can any MN with Y8 or similar children give me some hints about what songs/music they are into. Of course this might be different from the curriculum per se but it will give me ideas. Is Les Mis appropriate/inappropriate for Y8, would they be open to singing something like "Empty Chairs at empty tables"? Many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now