good but grossly overcrowded local comp on our street versus boys only selective 15 miles away

(76 Posts)
lingle Tue 20-Nov-12 11:35:46

I don't know if anyone can help me here....

I want DS1 to be happy, but I would also like him to fulfill his potential. DS and I both had the experience of going to comps. being top of everything, everyone presuming we'd be off to Oxbridge and then not getting in because we weren't guided in the application process (I applied to read English at Kings Cambridge - the most popular subject+the most popular college - and ended up being put in the "pool"). DS1 is showing at least as much potential as we did......

We are just on the border between our comprehensive area and the neighbouring 11+ area. After Christmas we have to decide whether to start tutoring DS1 (9) for the selective boys only (groan) grammar. My heart isn't in it - I want to believe he can fulfill his potential in the school on our street. But it's grossly overcrowded - we just missed out on the building schools for the future programme. I've been working in the local overcrowded primary this year and I've seen for myself the impact of overcrowding on quality.

Anyone want to talk?

squeezedatbothends Mon 26-Nov-12 19:20:32

APMF - and all through this thread you seemed to be perfectly reasonable...what a nasty snob you turned out to be. Of course I don't read the league tables - why would I read flawed data. And btw, my state educated child is in his second year at Oxford. Sucker indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now