can this be true??! walthamstow academy on sunday times 500 best in uk?!

(7 Posts)
tricot39 Fri 16-Nov-12 13:57:44

Am (tentatively) overjoyed after discovering that Walthamstow Academy comes in about 401 out of 500 in the country.......

Check it out here: http://pp.include-digital.com/table/state-secondary-schools

And we thought we might have to move for secondary. This could be good news? Or is it some statistical mishap? Anyone have any info?

Ladymuck Fri 16-Nov-12 17:58:36

I think that you would need to look at whether this was an unusual year or not? I'm surprised that that site doesn't include any information from other years for the school?

Ladymuck Fri 16-Nov-12 18:08:23

OK looks as if it the first year of A level results, and these numbers include BTECs. Certainly impressive grades, but of course, the school will be essentially selective at 16 - certainly not all the pupils at 16 would have the option of progressing to A level.

The GCSE results are definitely improving year on year, which is a very positive sign. Certainly I would look at it if it is an option, and I would check to see whether the teachers for 6th form have influence on the GCSE teaching or not.

tricot39 Fri 16-Nov-12 20:20:22

Thanks. Good tips.

joanbyers Sat 17-Nov-12 00:01:10

They get 54% 5A*-C at GCSE, which is slap-bang average.

Average grade for 'high attainers' is B, which is again very average.

tricot39 Sat 17-Nov-12 08:05:39

Thanks for your reply joan.
How come they make it on to the list then?
Do the ST factor in SEN, english as a 2nd language and Free School Meals when they do their calculations? If so average looks good?

joanbyers Sat 17-Nov-12 10:12:29

no idea tricot. Damn lies and statistics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now