Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Best Friends ...?

(7 Posts)
lyndiloo17 Fri 12-Feb-16 01:23:22

Is it better to have two siblings of the same gender, or a boy and a girl? Looking to the future, which combination is more likely to have a lifelong, loving, supportive relationship? (I'm thinking as far ahead as parents not being around any more to provide that special love.)

I have both a brother and a sister. I think I am closer to my sister ...?

AnnaMarlowe Fri 12-Feb-16 01:32:31

I don't think gender has anything to do with it.

I have friends who are very close to their sisters and those who are very close to their brother. I know women who hate their brothers and those that hate their sisters.

You can't pick the sex of your children anyway. Put your efforts and planning in to raising them to live and respect each other.

Btw I have one of each and at 8 yo they are very very close.

PoundingTheStreets Fri 12-Feb-16 13:26:04

I think gender is very much secondary to personality and parenting.

hellsbellsmelons Fri 12-Feb-16 14:31:10

I only have sisters.
We are all close but I'm very close to my younger sister, she's my best friend really.

KERALA1 Fri 12-Feb-16 15:10:19

I don't really understand the question - what if you decide two girls is best then have a boy?! Not much you can do about it.

lyndiloo17 Sat 13-Feb-16 00:59:29

Interesting to hear everybody's views. This was just a hypothetical question. I already have my children - and they're grown-up now. And, besides, I would hate to be able to choose the gender of my children. (I suppose you could if you were adopting though ...?)

Chiggers Sat 13-Feb-16 08:31:02

Sometimes it's not better to have siblings. I have 5 brothers and I am not close to them at all. I'm not even close to my parents either and just engage in small talk about the weather, rather than anything serious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now