Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mum at the school won't talk to me as our daughters fell out.

(54 Posts)
Murphy0510 Wed 27-Feb-13 22:19:09

The girls had a very minor argument at school about a year ago. They are 8. Her daughter is quite diva-like in her behaviour and has very big dramatic fall outs with a lot of other girls. The mum sent me a few unpleasant texts really insulting my DD. I suggested we got the girls together to iron out their differences and to make friends and she said no, she didn't want to do that. So then I suggested we just tell the girls to stay away from each other at school for a while (they were never best friends), and she sent me another insulting text, deleted me from Facebook, and has now refused to speak to me since.

We live very near each other, and if we walk past each other she puts her nose in the air and quickly turns her head away from me, or she tries to stare me out! I have tried several times to say hello to her, and she's ignored me, but it's making school runs very difficult and awkward, as we see each other most days. She stands outside the gate chatting each morning with a couple of her friends and always seems to be in the way when I try to walk through the gate, and when I say 'excuse me' she doesn't move.

I don't mind if she doesn't like me. I think she's been very childish and unpleasant, but has anyone got any advice on how to handle things? I get panicky when she walks towards me as I find it so awkward walking past her and us ignoring each other. I hate bad feeling and would like us to just be on saying hello/nodding terms, but I don't think this is going to happen.

Cherriesarelovely Thu 28-Feb-13 20:54:04

I wish I was bolder too!

It's awful reading that others have been in similar situations - I feel for you allsad.

I too could never envisaged falling out with someone especially as a 40 something mum of two. It has really made me doubt myself and really shaken my confidence. I have involved the police as I wanted everything documented just in case.

I do feel incredibly angry that this other mum tries to intimidate me so much but am not a confrontational person at all and I think she takes advantage of this.

I dearly wish she would move away from here but sadly it is likely that our daughters will go to the same senior school so our paths will always cross - something I dread!!

Cherriesarelovely Thu 28-Feb-13 21:58:44

I'm worried about that too friendly I think that although this woman has gone for now, she hasn't gone far enough that her Dd would be in a different catchment for secondary school. The thought of her Dd turning up at the same school as mine and causing trouble again is such a horrible one. I hope the police were helpful, it does make you doubt yourself I agree.

Laura0806 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:45:57

Just re read this thread, I am so sorry for what youve been through, to the OP and Friendlymum as well as Cherriesarelovely and others, I can't believe the level of intimidation and bullying youve experienced. Its actually v difficult to comprehend. Mine is to a much lesser degree but nonetheless causes a lot of distress, worry and I dread to think the amount of time spent thinking about it. i too didnt tell anyone else not wanting to be as 'bad as her' but lately people have asked me about it and two have been on the receiving end of her before.I suspect in your cases this has hapened before with others and no doubt will again. I think all we can do is try and be civil but i feel so awkward I find it hard to say hello and just avoid as much as possible but unfortunately it is distancing me from mutual friends which isnt fair . Good luck and let us know how things progress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now