Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is it wrong to be so irritated by uncaring inlaws?

(8 Posts)
imogengladhart Tue 05-Feb-13 22:38:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Midwife99 Tue 05-Feb-13 16:26:38

I would just refuse to allow them to visit if they say hurtful things to you all. Take back control over what happens in your own home.

imogengladhart Tue 05-Feb-13 16:13:26

Midwife99 Tue 05-Feb-13 15:07:05

You can't change a narcissist! They're only interested in themselves. Stop chasing them & leave them to it! Your kids must have other people in their lives they're much closer to. They won't be bothered if you're not!

maxmillie Tue 05-Feb-13 14:57:01

Mine are the same, disinterested in me and the kids but happy to bore you at length about every holiday they've ever been on and very minor ailment. My

My ils are disinterested in us. But they see plenty of sil and bil and all the other grandchildren who live just a few miles from us!
YANBU to wonder why they are so disinterested, but you can't force them to take an interest, don't waste your time worrying about it. As DP says, its their loss, they are missing out on these beautiful children.

For a three day trip, so see them for half a day is ok I think. If they keep coming up for hols then there must be nice things to do and see there, which they may feel they would enjoy better without small children? When we go on hols to scotland we pass mils and just 'pop in' on the way there and back. Once we stayed half an hours drive from them and it didn't occur to us to see them more than once - we had gone for a holiday, not to visit relatives if that makes sense.

I would not want to stay with them, perhaps your ils just don't want to stay at yours, don't take it personally.

I do think YABU to comment about what they spend their money on though.

bodencatalogue Tue 05-Feb-13 14:51:50

I don't know what you are complaining about! my outlaws are worse than that, yet they still want to come and spend time with their grandchild. I'd count myself lucky if they didn't particularly want much to do with us smile

imogengladhart Tue 05-Feb-13 14:43:28

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now