Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Virtual hen Party: Come and give some fun, cheery advice to DeterminedandSpecial Mum before she ties the knot!

(86 Posts)
OiMissus Wed 08-Aug-12 09:04:46

DSM is getting married! Let's give her a 24 hour virtual hen party and warn her of what she can expect as a wife. (Fun, cheery advice and warnings please to send her to her wedding day in a state of bliss.)

Hahaha!

<Dons L Plate> grin

OiMissus Wed 08-Aug-12 10:17:27

Here is what I found online:

1. "The only time a woman really succeeds in changing a man is when he's a baby."

2. “Getting married is a lot like getting into a tub of hot water. After you get used to it, it ain't so hot.” -Minnie Pearl

3. "Behind every great man there is a surprised woman."
-Maryon Pearson

4. “Marriage is like a phone call in the night: first the ring, and then you wake up.” -Evelyn Hendrickson

5. "The man who says his wife can't take a joke, forgets that she took him." -Oscar Wilde

sadwidow28 Wed 08-Aug-12 10:31:32

Oh, puts on flashing bunny ears.

sadwidow28 Wed 08-Aug-12 10:33:52

Remember,

1. the wife is always right.
2. in the event the wife is wrong, see rule #1.

SadWidow Will be showing DP that rule later grin

aethelfleda Wed 08-Aug-12 11:49:43

<Brings along an Expresso Machine to start us all off until it's Pimms o'clock>

Have the courage to admit when you're wrong, the strength to forgive him when he's admits he's wrong, and the fortitude to keep getting to know each other as life goes on.

aethelfleda Wed 08-Aug-12 11:52:01

Oh, and that's quite enough of that seriousness.

<offers around a box of willy-shaped chocolates>

Aethel What if he's a stubborn man who never admits he's wrong? lol.

izzyizin Wed 08-Aug-12 12:10:18

In that case, as Mae West said, he's the kind of man a woman would have to marry to get rid of.

Miss West also said that love conquers all except poverty and toothache grin

It's always Pimms o'clock.

Hands round Pimms wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine

He will say sorry tho, after a good half a day or so....needs to be when he is ready.

Pimms yum!

OiMissus Wed 08-Aug-12 12:42:05

<this feather boa is making me sneeze, and there are bits of fluff in my Pimms>

mopsytop Wed 08-Aug-12 12:50:36

Hands around willy-shaped straws to drink the pimms through.

mopsytop Wed 08-Aug-12 12:51:46

<then hands around folder of embarrassing photos of DSM>

<Gets out camera to take embarrassing photos of everyone else>

<Waves willy straw in air>

mopsytop Wed 08-Aug-12 13:12:03

What time does the karaoke start? Bagsie 'Bohemian Rhapsody' !

izzyizin Wed 08-Aug-12 13:17:38

After we've done a few choruses of 'I'm getting married in the morning' and done the hokey cokey, mopsy.

Oi I use one of the sayings you posted above to DP already. Behind every great man there is a surprised but fabulous woman grin

izzyizin Wed 08-Aug-12 14:41:19

I've got a different version on a fridge magnet at home 'Behind every successful man is an astonished woman'.

I've also got 'If we can put a man on the moon, how come we can't put them all there?'

Personally speaking, I'm in accord with the late great Mae who said 'Marriage is an institution but I'm not ready for an institution'... I wonder if that's on a magnet somewhere? grin

I wish you a wonderful day, DSM, and a lifetime of happiness for you and yours.

More Pimms anyone? wine wine wine wine wine wine wine
Or are we on the shots now? If so, mine's a B52.

Shots, shots, shots. Apple Sourz please.

Thanks Izzy smile

Kitty5824 Wed 08-Aug-12 17:46:49

Have we dressed DSM up yet? Do I need to find some old net curtains to fashion a veil?!

winewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewine

Remember, if he wears the trousers it is only 'cos you let him!

On a serious note, my DH asked his Dad if he had any advice for a successful marriage (about 40 mins before the ceremony!) and the response was "Nope".

He later went on to explain that just like having children, you can have all the advice in the world but sometimes you just have to wing it.

Kitty Winging it is our sort of thing lol.

<Another shot here>

KurtWild Wed 08-Aug-12 18:48:09

Pops on pink deely boppers and grabs a cherry sourz and coke when does the strippergram arrive girls?

izzyizin Wed 08-Aug-12 18:52:06

Foget a strippergram, Kurt. I've organised a Full Monty tribute group to entertain us grin

grin woohoo! <waves Willy straw in air some more>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now