Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

P&T Explorer - when can I use the toddler seat?

(16 Posts)
WinterOfOurDiscontent Mon 28-Oct-13 08:59:46

Dc2 is 9 weeks. Obviously too small for the seat now but is fat outgrowing the cocoon and cries when in there as it's dark and unable to see out.

When wouldn't be reasonable to use the second toddler seat?

WinterOfOurDiscontent Mon 28-Oct-13 09:00:15

Sorry should read fast outgrowing

leeloo1 Mon 28-Oct-13 09:16:24

I believed that the toddler seat is from 6 months - eg old enough to sit up fairly independently.

WinterOfOurDiscontent Mon 28-Oct-13 09:51:00

Thank you, so are they expected to be in the coocon until 6 months? Because dc2 won't fit.

leeloo1 Mon 28-Oct-13 18:58:15

No, I think the cocoon is only the first month or so, then you just have the baby in the lie-flat part of the buggy - probably with a cosy toes round them. smile

WinterOfOurDiscontent Mon 28-Oct-13 23:34:57

Thank you leeloo but how can I do that if I'm using it as a double buggy? It's not possible is it?

MiaowTheCat Tue 29-Oct-13 09:25:54

I put a cosytoes on the main pushchair seat, put it to lie flat and pulled the bit up that kept the cocoon in place and then had the toddler seat still over the top of it if that makes sense. I didn't do it for long - and I think by late 4 months I had DD2 in the lower seat with a head hugger and cushy strap covers and a sheepskin to try to make it as snuggly as possible for her - but it's the big downfall of P+T - that "too big for the cocoon" phase.

Ihateparties Tue 29-Oct-13 19:03:10

Why is it not possible, all the cocoon does is sit in the laid flat seat isn't it? Strap positioning is the only thing I can think of that would make it not possible.

WinterOfOurDiscontent Wed 30-Oct-13 23:57:13

ihate ds is very long on the 99ty centile and has almost reached the end of the cocoon and the sides are already too narrow.

leeloo1 Thu 31-Oct-13 14:53:28

I don't think anyones saying its impossible for your DS to outgrow the cocoon, just that he can't have outgrown the seat. You need to use the main seat in the lie-flat position (as you would with the cocoon on it, but without the cocoon) with the toddler seat in front of it.

WinterOfOurDiscontent Thu 31-Oct-13 15:30:07

Im just confused as to how I can use the main seat and the toddler seat...where does the bigger child sit? At the back?

leeloo1 Thu 31-Oct-13 17:50:15

No, the smaller seat clips on the front - you should have 2 'elbow joints' that fit in where the bumper bar would go, then the seat clips onto those.

MiaowTheCat Fri 01-Nov-13 07:33:32

Ok - leave it how it's set up, but lift the cocoon bit out. Should still have a lie flat space for the baby but with pushchair straps and much more room in there, with the toddler seat up top still like normal. I had to do this for a few weeks with DD2 (over 98th centile) - I basically popped a cosytoes in and slid her inside that with the toddler still sat on top (I didn't even clip her into the straps as the raised back bit kept her in place nicely). It's not ideal, and it's the big crap age range of P+Ts - and I used my other pushchair a fair bit during that point. Thankfully DD2 had good head control so I could squeak her into the bottom seat early (and the pushchair handles a lot better once the seats are that way around as well).

DD2 was never bothered by the too dark bit though - she used to like being able to look up and see me but the dark, slightly swaying motion was the only place she'd sleep comfortably with her damned reflux.

WinterOfOurDiscontent Fri 01-Nov-13 22:58:28

Oooh okay now I get it - god how thick am I. Right so just leave it as it but take the cocoon out. Makes me think the cocoon was slightly pointless really.

Even so I don't think he'll enjy spending time in the pram, he screams everytime he's in it and I think it's because it's dark and he can't really see ou.

Just want him to be able to use the toddler seat.

Dd was able to sit unaided at 4.5 months, if ds follows do you think that's too early to put in the seat?

leeloo1 Sat 02-Nov-13 16:48:32

I think you just use your own judgement - I'm sure DS was sitting fairly securely from 4 ish months too, so would have been fine for short periods in the back seat. I think they have to have a cautious limit as some 6 month olds are 'floppier' than others. smile

I'd guess if you're not using it for really long periods then you should be fine. But if he's sleeping then make sure he doesn't slump too much - as I think the concern is to do with oxygen saturation dropping when their heads slump and compress their airways - which is why little babies shouldn't be in carseats for too long either.

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 02-Nov-13 17:07:30

We had the same issue with our enormous ds; we did as pp have said and had him lie flat without the cocoon, inside a footmuff. I attached a couple of dangly pram toys to keep him entertained when he was awake.

He was sitting up unaided by about 4 months and that was when we turned it into the proper two-seater, with him in the back seat. He loved it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now