Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Is a footmuff necessary?

(36 Posts)
TwitchyTail Mon 06-May-13 16:54:23

Continuing my series of embarrassingly daft first time mother questions...

Is it? smile

I have a Baby Jogger City Mini, if that makes any difference, and it will be used in pushchair mode from about 6 months of age.

Startail Mon 06-May-13 20:01:01

Ours was a very cheap mothercare one with extra slots cut in it, so it would fit the baby and toddler seats for my mountain buggy. This the only time knowing how to hand button hole has been useful.

Genuine Mountain buggy accessories were very hard to get and very, very expensive. I only had the buggy due to a DF who lent my mounds of baby clothes, a crib and other stuff.

kipperandtiger Mon 06-May-13 20:04:57

OP, I suppose it depends on the climate where you live and what else your little one is wearing. I never needed one. We went out in an all-in-one (sorry I forgot what they were called!) - those with the feet and a hood, sometimes with cute animal ears, and it zips right up, and a blanket, and that was enough, sometimes more than enough.

mikkii Mon 06-May-13 20:10:08

I prefer them for all the reasons given above, except DD1 hated it so had to go and buy snow suits which I hadn't needed for quiet DS who was happy with blankets or cosy toes whatever.

Elkieb Mon 06-May-13 20:15:46

I love the footmuffs and use the one that zips open so includes a seat liner. I would check it fits your pram before you buy it, as some 'universal' ones are a pain, I'm contemplating cutting extra strap holes in one of mine! My sister has a BJCM and the official footmuff looks great and fits brilliantly.

TwitchyTail Mon 06-May-13 20:26:45

kipperandtiger, I live in the Manchester climate grin enough said.

Thanks very much for input everyone! I am admiring all the beautiful footmuff options while poor DS entertains himself on his playmat.

kipperandtiger Tue 07-May-13 02:57:41

grin yep, that's colder than the Southeast! Enjoy your shopping! smile

MiaowTheCat Tue 07-May-13 08:46:08

I can't be arsed with snowsuits - I just don't like them. I'd rather do a thick coat and footmuff combo anyday.

Plus I have a foot nudist - the footmuffs prevent sock-loss.

Startail Tue 07-May-13 08:49:22

Yes I'd forgotten about their sock catching function!

MortifiedAdams Tue 07-May-13 08:57:58

I live in the NE and only took ours off yesterday. Its been used daily for six months minimum. Ive put it under dds cot to use again from next autumn. Worth it totally.

Bananasinfadedpjs Tue 07-May-13 09:02:15

Just came on to say about how you don't lose socks with them! Plus if they always ripping their gloves off, you can tuck their hands inside the foot muff.

I think they are brilliant, and warmer than a snow suit - once I had the footmuff in the wash so put DD in (expensive, down filled) snow trousers, and her hands and feet were really cold (weather was well below freezing), but in the footmuff she was always toasty and cosy.

We have a sheepskin one for the really cold snowy weather and it is fantastically warm, and a buggy snuggle one for when it isn't quite so cold.

The other good things is that my pushchair still looks like new because the seat has always been protected.

Boggler Tue 07-May-13 09:05:26

Nothing looks worse that blankets dragging along the pavement, so cosytoes everytime grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now