Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Is a footmuff necessary?

(36 Posts)
TwitchyTail Mon 06-May-13 16:54:23

Continuing my series of embarrassingly daft first time mother questions...

Is it? smile

I have a Baby Jogger City Mini, if that makes any difference, and it will be used in pushchair mode from about 6 months of age.

RandomMess Mon 06-May-13 16:55:30

In the cold months I would say yes as sitting still in a pushchair makes you much colder than walking about.

MissPB Mon 06-May-13 16:57:35

They are handy but I never used one. I just used to wrap legs/feet in a couple of lovely blankets and an extra blanket on top and they were fine.

Foot muffs are a relatively new "invention" - so think of it as a nice extra rather than a necessity.

ouryve Mon 06-May-13 16:59:53

Foot muffs were around when i was a baby, MissPB.

I'd say, in winter, if you spend a serious amount of time outside, then yes. Both my boys just kicked blankets off.

TwitchyTail Mon 06-May-13 17:01:21

Ah. Good point about sitting still. So I would need to use blankets otherwise? Cost isn't a problem, it's more that I don't want more unnecessary tat to fill my already tat-filled house.

If cost isn't a problem, get a buggysnuggle, they are brilliant grin Also, they don't really add to the volume of baby tat as they are always attached to the pushchair so you don't need to find anywhere else to store it IYSWIM smile

ClaraOswald Mon 06-May-13 17:08:59

In winter, definitely.

ClairesTravellingCircus Mon 06-May-13 17:34:07

Another option is a snowsuit, but babies tend to hate them, then you need to take them off indoors, also you need a new one every few months...

I also had babies who always kicked off blankets. Used footmuffs with all of them.

dufflefluffle Mon 06-May-13 17:35:48

They can't kick them off - hence their value. Also they can be shower proof. I have a generic Mothercare one (for all my buggies) - it was great

Margetts Mon 06-May-13 17:40:28

My babies slept outside all winter and a footmuff was essential. I also had a waterproof footmuff which was fantastic as my rain cover wasn't brillant.
We also had snowsuits which were great.
I live in Scotland where it tends to be colder and my babies were born in November.

TwitchyTail Mon 06-May-13 17:45:38

Thanks everyone smile You have convinced me they aren't tat.

starfishmummy Mon 06-May-13 17:49:57

Had one, hardly used it. Ds had padded trousers and a blanket with a big raincover if needed.

Buggysnuggles are fab and fit nicely on a BJCM. I got one of the thicker ones and have used it solidly for two winters and it washes as good as new. You can unzip from the bottom too so you can stick muddy shoes out when DC are older.

I've always used one for both girls. Then you can zip the front off and use the back as a liner in the summer. Easier to wash that instead of pushchair fabric. I used a buggysnuggle on mybjcm.

Ihateparties Mon 06-May-13 19:36:22

I've always found them really useful, blankets get pulled off, padded trousers and suits need putting on and off everytime you go out and come in. If you're shopping you unzip the top inside, if you come into the house while the baby is still sleeping you can unzip and leave them there. The sleeping bag ones that go right up to the face sometimes make coats unecessary, which is even handier imo.

I do like cheap ones too though, customised with a pretty bit of fabric on the top bit grin

chocolatemartini Mon 06-May-13 19:38:42

Yeah I think they're necessary. And I'm all about having the minimum stuff possible.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Mon 06-May-13 19:40:54

They aren't tat smile

Personally I like the ones that have the zip that undoes all the way around so the 'top' detaches, it means you can take the top right off if they get too warm without waking them up and/or having it flap about/catch in the wheels and you can take them off in the summer months and you still have a comfy bit for them to lie on/spill crap on smile

CheungFun Mon 06-May-13 19:44:28

Yes I think they're really good in the winter especially when it's very windy or snowing - much warmer than a blanket IMO. I think they are worth the money.

alienbanana Mon 06-May-13 19:46:44

Yep, get a buggy snuggle. They're nice and big so last ages (unlike lots of smaller footmuffs).

Blankets are fine but they get kicked off, and end up getting stuck in the wheels or dumped in a puddle. Of course you cam manage without a footmuff, but tbh its one of those things that makes life easier.

RooneyMara Mon 06-May-13 19:47:11

Nice thing about the BJ is that you can fold it with footmuff attached - they really can impinge on the folding of say a maclaren.

RooneyMara Mon 06-May-13 19:48:25

Oh but make sure you can access the fold handle without too much bother, and also, another thing they are good at is protecting the actual seat from crumbs/spillages etc. Even if you just have a liner, like a sheepskin one or a fabric padded one.

Tidypidy Mon 06-May-13 19:49:24

It's worth having as an extra layer underneath your baby too, especially in the winter as I found with my dc they would get cold without a liner up their backs. Try to get one that can be tied at the top to the buggy otherwise they tend to slip down and off.

alienbanana Mon 06-May-13 19:50:02
Startail Mon 06-May-13 19:52:17

Yy to the zip apart sort. way more versatile than a snow suite, which as the poster above said, not all babies like snow suits. DD1 absolutely hated hers, woke up the split second it got faintly warmer and yelled.

You can quietly zip and unzip a foot muff and add and remove a blanket tucked inside it without waking the child. For shopping or lifting a child in and out of a warm car, this is way better than fighting with a snow suit.

Also you you can hide an extra blanket, a muslin square and a couple of soft toys at the bottom of a footmuff when they are small.

Ihateparties Mon 06-May-13 19:53:26

These are really good for bucket seats but I have used them in my city mini gt too. They are the same shape as the icandy one but with less plush fleece etc. But they don't slip down at all where a lot of universal ones do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now